The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey LTD 400
Forrest Herzog

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 9:58 pm    

Hey everybody, I was hoping someone could offer some insight on my Peavey LTD 400. I love this amp, it has such a great sound. It was gifted to me, with the warning that something was wrong (just didn't remember what) so don't gig with it. Well, I cleaned it up and used it around the house for months and it never gave me any trouble and had a great sound. Stuck it in the closet for a few months, pulled it back out and flipped it on and there was such a loud hum that it nearly rattled the walls. Unplugged everything from it, turned the volume all the way down, turned it on and still the same thing. And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. Since then I've randomly flipped it on once in a blue moon. Sometimes it's the big scary bullhorn sound, sometimes it's a much tamer, but still unusable hum. Sure would love to get it figured out if anyone has had any similar experience.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 5:01 am    

If it was me I’d send the chassis to peavey to repair. Fast, reasonable, and great service.
It’s a great amp you got for free. It’s been my experience that Peavey repair service is hard to beat. They can fix it and give it a check up as well.

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 9:12 am     peavey LTD

Sounds like a broken transistor connection or broken transistor......And I would send it to peavey for repair.
And that's a killer amp...BTY

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 5:27 am     Great...

When an LTD is working correctly it can't be beat,especially with the Peavey/JBL speaker...

The LTD and the Sho-Bud are my favorite amps of all time...they sound more like tube amps(with headroom)than any SS amp ever made...

I have to agree with the other cats...I'd take the chassis out,and send it and the reverb tank to Peavey...they'll make it sound brand new!

SH

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 7:11 am     Re: Great...

Steve Hinson wrote:
When an LTD is working correctly it can't be beat,especially with the Peavey/JBL speaker...

After the factory PV/JBL blew in my LTD 400, I installed a well-broken in BW 1501-4 from an older NV 400. I think it sounds the best it's ever sounded with my old push/pulls. Great amps.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 7:39 am    

I had an LTD when they first came on the market. I had lots of problems similar to your current one.

Leads for various electronic parts on the circuit board would break where they entered the PCB so sometimes it would work and other times not. Generally it was a part that had a larger package size, but not always. I found if you carefully pulled on each part one could quickly find the problem child.

Good Luck,
Robert

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 8:14 am    

Session/LTD 400 (same guts) are my favorite solid-state pedal steel amps, bar none. There are a lot of possibilities for hum like this, but a massive hum that is the same at every volume setting might be some type of filter capacitor issue.

With a filter cap issue, it's possible that the caps are bad. But the fact that it was fine a few months ago and suddenly developed the hum - and the fact that it is somewhat intermittent - leads me to suggest that perhaps there's a bad connection. I had this experience last year with an old Peavey - one of the filter cap solder connections had loosened up. Sometimes it would make contact and the hum would go away, and sometimes it would break away and hum like hell. Probing with chopsticks revealed the intermittent connection. The fix was simply touching up a cold solder joint, no problems since.

If you don't work on your own amps, I agree with the suggestion to just pull the chassis and send it to Peavey for repair.

Forrest Herzog

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 2:05 pm    

Thanks everyone for the replies! I’ll definitely pull the chassis and send it out to Peavey. It is such a killer sounding amp. It does have the Peavey/JBL speaker as well, and it has tone for days. It’s good to know too that so many agree that it’s a great amp worth fixing. Thanks everyone.

Forrest Herzog

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 5:46 am     Ltd

When my dad was playing, ha had one of the first LTDs made. He used to carry a rubber mallet in the back of the amp, When it started up, he’d rap it on the top of the amp and the noise would quit and was usually good for a while!

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 7:18 am     ...and...

I think I'm gonna try the Eminence EPS-15C in one of my LTDs...closest thing I've heard to the JBL(I personally can't hear a difference) and the weight reduction is definitely a plus...

SH