The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay-Reverb
George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 10:26 pm    

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the best Analog Delay-Reverb unit or box for Pedal Steel guitar is?
Tone control or no tone control on it?
Multiple types of verb? that is spring, plate etc.

Penny for your thoughts; umm make that a dime, to account for inflation lol.....

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 11:40 pm    

The best analogue device is a plate. This is a fixed installation. AKG used to make a portable device back in the eighties that simulated one using multiple springs. It was about the size of a refrigerator (small American or large European) and cost many thousands.

The traditonal spring tank is therefore the only realistic option, which is why everything has gone digital.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 5:49 am    

A Dispatch Master is much easier to set / adjust that say a RV-3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLkVcS_6dk

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 6:06 am    

A really terrific new device for both delay and reverb is the Poly Effects Digit. You can have up to four delays and real convolution reverbs. My favorites were the aforementioned AKG spring and the EMT plates. I even did a bunch of presets for the builder when he was in Nashville for SNAMM. Highly recommended.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 7:29 am    

I've always preferred to separate units for delay and reverb, more choices in settings. Very Happy
Erv

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 8:01 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I've always preferred to separate units for delay and reverb, more choices in settings. Very Happy
Erv

Me too, but for different reasons. Digital delays and reverbs sound sterile to my ears, which is the main reason I prefer playing through analog units. They may be okay in a studio or for practicing, but in a live band situation with drums, the digital units I've played through get lost in the cymbal wash and ten feet from the stage they're hardly noticeable.

The three-knob Fender 6G15 would be my first choice (not the later FINO reissue) for spring reverb, but they're spendy. A viable alternative is the Van Amps Sole-Mate, which is basically a solid-state variation on the 6G15 circuit. Since Tim Van Tassel quit production a while back, they're currently selling for high prices, too. A very nice sounding reverb pedal with a genuine MOD spring tank inside a fairly compact unit:

My favorite analog delay is Forumite Keith Hilton's Legend Pro Delay. Easy to make sound good at a bargain price:

https://hiltonelectronics.com/legend-pro-delay

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 7:51 pm    

I use the MXR carbon copy analog delay pedal in line with the TC Electronic Hall Of Fame pedal. The Hall Of Fame is capable of downloading toneprints of other players preferred toneprint modifications or you can download the toneprint editor and make your own reverb from scratch. Time consuming, but if you're finicky about what suits you, the editor is the way to go. You can electronically custom build your own and download it into the pedal.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 10:00 am    

Well....there are a lot of versions of "best", aren't there?

Electric setup, I go with my Milkman amp built-in reverb, and add a little delay from the cute little box that Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe uses with her Ric B6 Panda lap steel...the Mooer Ana Echo mini-pedal. Many of those mini-pedals seem to be based on some sort of chorus-like circuit, and seem to have a touch of chorus underneath whatever the pedal does...and it sounds great! So... cheap, tiny, and the sound I didn't know I was looking for are "best", for me.

For my straight-to-the-PA acoustic setup, a Baggs Venue DI, I add a little plate reverb in the effects loop, again from a cute, cheap little mini-pedal, this time the Donner Verb Square...

For me, these have enough control and tone to get what I need...I did have to try a number of them to find brands that sounded good - there are a handful of mini-pedal companies out there now, and each of them have some that sound good, and some that are crap...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 10:32 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
there are a handful of mini-pedal companies out there now, and each of them have some that sound good, and some that are crap...

Even though I favor the Hilton (built by Americans in the United States of America), I also have a disposable Chinese Joyo JF-33 that cost under thirty bucks delivered to my mailbox that sounds just fine. Reportedly a clone of the Carbon Copy for about 1/4 its cost.

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 9:34 pm     Effects

Thank you all for your input, it's been a huge help.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 6:04 am    

Ive been wanting one of the BeniDub Spring Amps for other things, but I feel you could use it with a PSG. You need your own tank, but you can get those cheap and you can get the decay length you want, they look very customizable to shape the sound too.

https://www.benidub.com/spring-amp-2/

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 9:02 am    

The ZOOM 70 PEDAL IS GREAT. I use it when not using my LEXICON rack.

see here

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 2:55 pm    

Ron - I wasn't even aware of the Zoom 70! It looks great. I've got a Flashback mini delay and have been thinking about a separate verb. I think I'll look into this and sell the Flashback (it's really nice too). Thanks for the tip.
Brad

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 3:18 pm    

Just out of curiosity George, why did you just sell your Steel Dream pedal? Doesn’t that have both reverb and delay?

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 8:19 pm    

Cartwright, Yes it has a superb reverb and delay with the Nutra Drive which can be set to give you some tube sound (Warmth)and huge fat tone. I sold the steal Dream because No more than I play, I couldn't justify a new toy $700 + $20 for the supply for it (That is too my wife). I have a DD7 that does fine for me. But thats why, I was just asking to see what everybody else was using, I like keeping up with whats being used even if I can't have it Sad

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 11:33 pm    

The Zoom 70 is indeed great and very affordable.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 6:17 am    

Brad,

I use 3 blended settings when playing.

Reverb

Reverb & chorus

Reverb & delay

I was working Broadway in Nashville and some of those stages are so cramped, there's no room for a rack unit (LEXICON). So I had to get something small, powerful and one that had quality effects. Went on a research spree and the ZOOM became my Friend.

I had to come up with a clip that could hold it to my guitar leg as I didn't want it on the floor where I couldn't access the knobs (no longer available).

LEG CLIP

VIDEO

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 11:15 am    

Hi Ron,
I think this is the pedal I've been looking for. I like your leg clip-pretty slick. I'll be using it with my lap steel so I think I'll end up attaching it directly to the guitar if anything.
Thanks again,
Brad