The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons or Day Set up?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 12:33 pm    

An example of tab that won't work on Day is right foot on the C pedal.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 12:59 pm    

Of course it makes no difference "once you get used to it" but suppose a jet fighter manual read, "Your ejection seat is the lever on your left", but actually it was the lever on the right. I don't believe that manual would be the standardized one for long. Look guys, I accept we're nit picking, but OP is a beginner looking for advice.

Ken Barrett

Sebastian, Fl.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 1:45 pm    

Thank you for the info. It is very helpful. Doug is going to build me an Encore in a couple of months. I am interested in purchasing a used Pedal steel.

With guitars and Basses I like to collect them and work on them so I try to find out as much as I can about the instruments I am playing. I am interested in purchasing an older pedal steel but I don't know anything about them. From the little time I've spent exploring them, It seems like the Emmons is the Cream of the crop (?). Like, in my opinion, Though there's a lot of nice guitars and basses, Gibson Les Paul (for guitars) and Fender (for Basses) is the one to collect.

I do have a 1947 Gibson Grande Console 8/7 steel guitar. It was used in the Hank Williams movie, I saw the light, Starring Tim Hiddleston. You can get a good look at it in the 2:45 mark of the "HEY good lookin" song.
I have played guitar for over 60 years, PSG for 5 & bass for 7 years. Currently, I play bass in a band. I also collect guitars and basses. I live in Florida on the east coast. In my picture is a 1948 Gibson Grande of mine that was used in a Hank Williams movie.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 3:47 pm    

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 4:18 pm     Re: Emmons or Day set-up

My apologies.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 6 Dec 2019 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 12:54 am    

Richard has put that so plainly that anyone who still doesn't get it is being deliberately obtuse. Actually, that's unfair. There are people whose learning style requires a video to look exactly right and find it difficult to imagine things back to front. Not everyone can read a map upside down.

Meanwhile, there is a clear advantage to the Day setup - if you play a B6 universal! The C pedal, which has no purpose in the 6th tuning, is parked out of the way. Meanwhile the A pedal can be brought into the 6th tuning. Apart from its melodic use, it also gets over the problem of there being nowhere to put the equivalent of the C6 3rd string raise to C#. With the A pedal next to P5, I can use A, 5 and the vertical (a nice natural movement) to give that A6 chord.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 5:18 am    

Quote:
Richard has put that so plainly that anyone who still doesn't get it is being deliberately obtuse. Actually, that's unfair. There are people whose learning style requires a video to look exactly right and find it difficult to imagine things back to front. Not everyone can read a map upside down.

Yes, that is unfair. I know a lot of people who can't read a map at all - they have zero spatial intuition/comprehension, and go stricly by explicit left/right directions and landmarks. Others can "sort of" read a map, but only if it's oriented in the direction they are headed so they can make the obvious left/right connection without having to think about it. I used to run into this a lot when working with others studying math and later teaching math. Low geometrical intuition is pretty common.

Most of these people, that I know well at least, are extremely intelligent in every other way, but have to have everything labeled in a way that they don't have to think about geometry at all. I think many would struggle with pedal steel, and I'm confident they would have to go relabel everything like pedals 1, 2, 3 or 3, 2, 1 so they don't get confused translating, at least for quite some time.

I'm not making any type of argument that Day is harder/easier or better/worse than Emmons. I think harder/easier is mostly dictated by any anatomical issues with one's left foot. I have tried both, and for me only, Emmons is a LOT easier to do the more commonly done A and B pedal pushes/squeezes. I actually wanted to make Day work for me because the steels I had at the time had the A pedal so far left that it was hard for me to execute the A+F lever move, and I figured that moving to Day would help. So I persisted until I was convinced it just wasn't natural for me, and ultimately put my Franklin pedal in the "1" position and shifted everything else over 1 to the right. Every steel I've gotten since then has had that configuration.

I imagine this is completely different for others. I should note that, in terms of foot motion, I'm a pretty strong pronator - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronation_of_the_foot - in other words, I push off the inner part of the foot pretty strongly, and motion along the outside of my foot is more restricted. Actually, playing pedal steel has helped equalize this foot flexibility somewhat. I used to cave in the back of my shoes inward for years, especially when walking or running distances, and this is a classic sign of a strong pronator. That has gotten significantly better because I have specifically worked on supinator flexibility to execute pedal moves that were very difficult when I first started. But the anatomical preference for pronation-heavy moves is still pretty pronounced.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 1:40 am    

I love the story Buddy told about discussing the prospect of splitting the A/B pedal with Jimmy Day. And then they both went home and tried it out. But they didn’t discuss exactly which way to split it, and ended up with different outcomes
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/