The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Steelaire Combo
Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 2:52 pm    

I just imported a Quilter Steelaire Combo for a customer. Can any owners of this model recommend settings for me?
Thanks in advance.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 2:14 am    

Here is what a friend in Montreal Canada sent me on his settings.

Bass - 8
Lo Mid - 0
Hi Mid - 4
Treble - 4

I got a new Steelaire Combo a month ago and used those settings as a start but dropped the Treble to 3 and Lo Mid to 2.

I find the stock Quilter speaker, which is a custom version of the Eminence EPS-15C to be too bright (but great for a Telecaster). Quilter told me they had it made with more high end (high frequency) response.

I just replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence EPS-15C and although its new and not broke in there was an immediate improvement for Pedal Steel. (The Quilter speaker is for sale).

As the EPS-15C gets broken in I'll probably change the settings to how I had it with a Steelaire Rack and an EPS-15C. My settings for the amp and (broken in) EPS-15C:
Bass - 7
Lo and Hi Mid - 5
Treble - 3

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 11:22 am    

Ted, check out the YouTube video by Albert Svenddal demonstrating the Quilter Steelaire.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 1:35 pm    

Ted this is link to video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDZqc0ThSo&index=35&list=LLz4DZUlCb2dxSJLt6bbJj6Q
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 2:48 pm    

I run everything (the EQ) at 5. I'm using single coils and the stock speaker. Sounds great to me!

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 11:42 pm     Quilter Steelaire Combo

Thanks Jack ... Thanks Malcolm. Malcolm will you be in Dublin in October? Gonna be a great show.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:06 am    

One thing that seems fairly common amongst Steelaire users is setting the input configuration to 1 + 2 and using both gains to drive the preamp.

Not sure why this works better, but I and several other owners comparing notes have reached the same conclusion. At the very least it's another thing you should try while you're dialing in a tone.

I notice in Tony Glassman's post here that he does it also:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348797

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:37 am    

If one channel doesn't give you enough volume, using both preamps will. Not sure how it works but I suspect the two preamps are stacked (series) to get the gain.

I don't play in a loud band and one preamp set at 4 or 5 and Master at 10 (max) is how I run mine.

I used that amp settings with a Steelaire Rack amp and an EPS-15C speaker, and now the same thing with my new Steelaire Combo amp.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:53 am    

I think what Jack says about 'stacked' is true, the two channels probably are in series.

The thing I've seen and didn't mention, is that if you drive the preamp pretty hard with both the gains up above 5 or 6, and then use the master for controlling the overall volume (in my case usually 3 or 4, the band isn't that loud), the preamp behaves a little differently. When you sort of lean on the amp a little harder, you get a bit more 'sag' or 'give' or whatever you want to call it, and that to me feels a little more like the natural compression you get when you drive a tube amp fairly hard. That's one of the things I always liked about playing through a Twin, it's just too bad they weigh so much.. Smile

It's a subtle difference, but I think it's there.

Edited to add: You CAN overdrive the pre with those kinds of settings, and get some distortion, but I don't run enough gain to do that, it's still a 'clean' sound. Settings would vary no doubt for some guitars and PUs and just how hard you play.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:22 am    

Pat Quilter told me to run the Master at 10.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:29 am    

With all due respect to Mr.Quilter (who I admire by the way, what an innovator he's been!), I like the way it sounds better with my settings. I've tried both.. to each his own. Smile

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 7:16 am     Quilter Steelaire

Ted,
I have the Quilter Steelaire Rackmount Pro that I just leave in its own cabinet. I do use a Telonics extension speaker with it. Here are my particular settings which I think sounds great. These Quilters are fairly easy to tune in.

Gains 1 and 2 are on 5 with the 1+2 channel setting,
Bass 6
Low mid 5
Hi mid 5
Treble 3-4
Limiter 5
Tremolo and rate are on -0-
Reverb 6
Dwell 6
Tone 8
Master 5

This gives me a good ring and plenty of sustain. I use a pedal for delay. Enjoy and God Bless!
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 11:14 pm    

Ted, don’t think I will be at Dublin, away on holiday then.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 4:03 am    

Tony -
Are you using the delay pedal in the Quilter EFX loop?

Jack -
Have you noticed any hum from running the Master wide open?

For those running both Ch 1 & 2, how does that affect the XLR out signal sent to the board? Thanks!

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 5:09 am    

No hum. I recently (last week) used the Steelaire on a recording session. I used the XLR out with the master at 10 and no hum or any noise at all.

I queried Quilter about the XLR tone compared to the stock Quilter speaker and Pat Quilter replied the XLR out signal is taken from the same output for the speaker and padded down (reduced) to the XLR signal level. Thus they are identical and why the XLR sounds great for recording.

As I mentioned in the other Quilter post, I replaced the stock Quilter speaker with too many highs (bright) with an Eminence EPS-15C and much improved for steel and got rid of the too bright sound. The XLR sound and the speaker sound are now nearly identical.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 5:19 am    

Tim wrote:
For those running both Ch 1 & 2, how does that affect the XLR out signal sent to the board? Thanks!

Hi Tim, I do that, and a lot of sound guys use the XLR out (I'm pretty sure in most cases it's just because they'd rather not have to put another mic up. LOL.) and the common comment I get is that they have to 'gain up' the channel a good bit, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with having enough signal. I do like a pretty low stage volume, so that may be part of the issue.

I have been asked if there is a level control for the XLR out, which of course there isn't, but when I say no, they just deal with it. Never been a problem. I guess all that to say, with both pre-gains up around 1 or 2 oclock, they're still asking for a bit more XLR gain, and I'm definitely not causing them any overload problems.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 5:54 am    

I "tamed" the highs on my Quilter Combo by improvising a closed back. I left a 1 1/2" opening on each side and the bottom. It seems to make an acceptable difference on the "stock". speaker.

I am sooo weary of changing out speakers...my ex-NV112's finally zapped my tolerance.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 6:45 am    

The Steelaire combo is easy to change speakers (but I've built speaker cabinets and am an ex amp tech).

There are two screws on each side, accessed from the rear, that hold the grille on.

The speaker is front mounted and 4 screws are used to hold the speaker (plenty for this light a speaker).

In ref to if there is a level control for the XLR out. The XLR out is fed (sourced) from the same power amp out point as the speaker connection, according to Pat Quilter. Thus there is a "level control" with the Master gain control. The XLR signal is padded down and converted to 600 ohm balanced signal but the source of the XLR out is the Master gain.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 7:30 am    

Jack wrote:
The XLR out is fed (sourced) from the same power amp out point as the speaker connection, according to Pat Quilter. Thus there is a "level control" with the Master gain control.

That makes sense based on the comments I get from sound guys, since I run the master at about 4 or so most of the time.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 7:58 am     Quilter Steelaire

Tim,

I do not use the effects loop. I simply run the cord out of my volume pedal into the delay pedal and then a cord out of the pedal into the amplifier. Works good for me.

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 10:18 am    

I use the powered effects loop in the back of the amp. I have a stomp box (a Dunlop Q-zone pedal) that simulates a Dobro hard-wired into the loop. One flip of the switch on the remote and voila; instant pedabro.

Dunlop discontinued the Q-zone pedal, but there are always a few for sale on E-bay.

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 6:20 pm     Quilter

Would the rack mounted Steelaire handle a pair of 15 inch JBLs in open back cabs?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 2:03 am    

Quote:
Would the rack mounted Steelaire handle a pair of 15 inch JBLs in open back cabs?

Depends on the total Impedance. It has a jack for 8 ohms and another for 4 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers, in parallel, is 4 ohms. Two 4 ohm speakers would be 2 ohms and I don't know if it can safely handle that.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 6:35 am    

My guitar is an MSA SD10 w/705 pup and my settings are 4,1,4,6

Here's a Facebook Live stream video from this last Saturday night with my Ipad sitting just a a few feet away from my amp. The guitar player was playing at a very low level for some reason.

https://www.facebook.com/dicky.wood/videos/2520270148029633/?t=17

Excuse my mediocre playing.

Michael Endrud

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 9:15 am    

i have the quilter steelaire. When i use it with my infinity s 10 which has a dual coil pickup it is absolutely wonderful. but when i use it with my zum which has a single coil it is to bright for my taste and just cant seem to get enough low end. amybody else run into that? any advice?