The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Too many videos????
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 11:00 am    

While sitting here looking at the numbers of views on my videos, I have to wonder?

It seems that the number of people clicking on my links through the SGF is falling.

Looking at the number of views on my YouTube channel, which are much higher than the clicks on the SGF:

I have to wonder, am I posting too many videos? Because I have not uploaded a "drop in the bucket" compared to what I have still on VHS tape.

Is the SGF not as popular as it once was? (I surely hope not)

Are most people that watch subscribed to my YouTube channel and therefore get a notice when I post a new video?

Are more people finding my videos on FB?

For me, the SGF has been my "goto" source since bOb first started this forum. And it still is. However, I don't see near as many posts on any of the SGF topics. Why is this?
Are the old geezers like me not on computers or simply not watching?
Do the younger players like FB better because of the "social" interaction?

I have no intentions of slowing down digitizing videos and posting to YouTube. I would love to think I can get everything I have uploaded before I die (not soon I hope).
My computer runs almost constantly "real time" from my VHS player. If my VHS player ever dies, I have ONE backup player and that is it.

I do notice that the video quality of recent uploads does not seem to be as good as it used to be. I had to change to a different converter as my old GOOD one would not run properly on Win10.

Anyway, I do value your opinions and comments. So let me get off here and get back to work. hehe

And I encourage you to use a "download" program and get as many of these videos saved to your library as possible. You never know when the "internet" police will get tired of sending me "copyright" notices (which I ignore anyway).

If you don't know how to download from YouTube, there is a very simple program that I use called: 4K Video Downloader.
All I ask is that if you download and share, be sure that I get credit for the video. Not because I care or want the recognition, but to keep you out of trouble with the copyright authorities.

For those of you that will take time to reply to this post, please copy/paste the question(s) into your post, so I know what you are referring to.

And last but not least, I would appreciate your thinking of me anytime you need product from Goodrich, Telonics, George L's and Peavey. I assure I will give you the best price out there.

Thanks for reading my book.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 11:51 am    

Pm'ed you Bill.

Cheers

Steven Hicken Jr.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 11:55 am     many videos

I really enjoy your collection of videos. Hope you don't pull back.My personal opinion on the view drop Might be the widening gap of "new" steel guitar and "old" steel players. Things are changing for sure. Joe.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:12 pm    

Hi Bill. I just want to say that I really enjoy watching your videos. I don't get to watch them as often as I would like but please know that I apreciate the hard work that you do in order to make them available to us. Keep up the great work sir.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:16 pm    

Bill; The work you do posting all these valuable archives giving us the opportunity to listen to all these top players is fantastic to say the least.

Could I just make one suggestion, that the NON PEDAL videos be posted also in the NON PEDAL SECTION as well. I'm sure some members that just go to that section might be missing out on some great non pedal players like some recent ones you have posted IE: Alan Akaka, John Ely, Jerry Byrd, Billy Robinson, Garland Nash just to mention a couple.

Once again I thank you for the endless work you do to save all this great music otherwise lost for ever.
Regards Jim

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:26 pm    

Thanks for the comments.

I post on the Steel on the Web on the SGF.
I post under my personal account on FB.
I also post on the page that Ronald CID created for me on FB and encourage people to join.

As far as posting in other places, I encourage all of you to share my videos as much as possible.

LET'S MAKE STEEL GUITAR VISIBLE TO THE WORLD AGAIN. IN OTHER WORDS, "WAKE UP NASHVILLE".
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 2:43 pm    

Quote:
It seems that the number of people clicking on my links through the SGF is falling.

Looking at the number of views on my YouTube channel, which are much higher than the clicks on the SGF:

Bill, have you checked the "Traffic source" on your YouTube stats pages. You can see where your views are coming from. According to my channel stats, only 1% of the views on my videos come from the Steel Guitar Forum. 99% of the views come from Google, Facebook, YouTube recommendations, Bing, Yahoo Search, WhatsApp... etc.

Having a higher number of views on YT than clicks via the SGForum is not a bad thing. That means your videos are being shared on other web sites. You're bringing the steel guitar to a wider audience, not just the steel players.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 3:09 pm    

Bill, I have posted personal videos here. I have also posted videos of Jacob King, Steve Palousek, David Wright and some others. I find the same thing here on the forum, rarely any comments. Facebook response is better. You would think since this is a steel guitar website it would be better. While I try to comment on both websites I do miss some. No, you are not posting too many videos. My hat is off to you for all you have done. Many Thanks.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 3:14 pm    

Bill,

I look forward to your videos. I don't use them only for entertainment. I also find them extremely educational. You put what is probably countless hours of work into producing the videos. I hope everyone appreciates them as much as I do.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 3:59 pm    

I download your videos to a thumb drive and then plug it into my 65" TV.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:12 pm    

Rest assured Bill your efforts are not in vain. Most of us are subscribed to your youtube channel so we get alerts soon as you post on youtube. We are friends on FB so I see your post there as well as in FB groups & on here but most of the time I just go straight to youtube to watch them because I have youtube app on my phone & tv. I appreciate all the avenues to get to your videos. I watch them all. Sometimes I get a day or so behind but i always KETCHUP.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 4:02 am    

I catch many from the forum link, but I am subscribed to your channel as well. I spend endless hours in the evening watching the videos. I'm not a tv guy so I use my tablet while mama watches tv. I can stream to my smart tv when home alone. I don't have your answer but I love and appreciate all the videos and pray they never stop. Plus I'm going to Rons to watch on his big screen tv. What a wonderful day that would be.

Werner Friedrich

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 4:10 am     too much Vids

Hello Bill,
thanks for all Your Work for us! I watch the Vids on SGF, and the are great. I,am still waiting for more >>> !
Thanks and have a great Time.
Werner Friedrich

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 5:44 am    

I don't watch them all, but I watch many of your videos, Bil.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 6:16 am    

OK< great.

I am not looking for recognition, just questioning how you find out about my videos.

I like the YouTube notification. Now I know that it works.

This is the kind of info I was after.

Thanks everyone.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 6:23 am    

Bill,
Needless to say, your videos are an invaluable source of steel guitar history. I have been viewing more through facebook than the forum lately only because notification pops up on my email and draws my attention quicker, but either way, I appreciate them!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 8:40 am    

Quote:
...just questioning how you find out about my videos.

Bill, something to keep in mind... a lot of viewers find videos though YouTube "recommendations". YT will suggest certain videos to viewers who are searching for things... like "steel guitar" or "guitar", etc.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 24 Aug 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 10:01 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
I don't watch them all, but I watch many of your videos, Bil.

So do I !
Thank you Bill !

Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 6:21 pm     Videos

Hi Bill, I enjoy your videos very much. I'm not on SGF as much as I used to be but I still see them on FB and I'm subscribed to your You Tube channel. Thanks for all you do. Eddie

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 10:36 pm    

Hi Bill,

Awesome work that you are doing, that stands out above everything else.

As for me, I look more through YT because I get notifications about your vids from there. I am on the SGF not on a daily basis, especially during regular work weeks I can't be there all time. My work PC is not open for the SGF (don't know why) and other sources I cannot use completely from there (example: I cannot like YT vids, just watch).

Anyway, I am enjoying all of them!

Best Regards, Walter

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 5:29 am    

there's no such thing as too much fun or too many of your videos!

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 6:07 am    

I almost never look at my channel stats. But since Doug mentioned Traffic Source-External-views. I took a look....Facebook was tops at 30% (and I don't have a Facebook account) 2nd was Google search at 24%. 3rd was SGF at 4.2%.

Of course my channel is not in the same league as some (about 8,000 views per month). I just keep adding things here and there and don't worry about the stats much at all.

Chris Clem

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 6:51 am    

So where do I find the channel stats on YouTube?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:06 am    

Too many videos???

Nope! Keep 'em coming Bill, Chris, and Doug. They have been a tremendous resource for me on so many levels. And if I dig 'em, undoubtedly so do countless others, 'cause I ain't all that easy to please.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:07 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
So where do I find the channel stats on YouTube?

Bill you can click on either the Customize Channel button or the YouTube Studio (Beta) button and you’ll find Analyitics on the left side... click on that and you’ll find the information you seek Winking
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com