The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS Country Music Special
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:16 am    

Saw advertised last night an up coming, 16 hour, country music history special,,,produced by Ken Burns. Due to air on our local PBS starting Sept 15. From the beginning up until 1965. Should be worth watching!!!

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:30 am    

I love Ken Burns documentaries, Baseball gets an annual rewatch at our house.

Here’s a half hour preview of this newest one if anyone’s interested.

https://www.pbs.org/video/pbs-previews-country-music-zmrpu3/

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 7:59 am    

It looks very promising!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 12:47 pm    

Not a fan of PBS 100% leftist political positions.. A publicly funded media entity needs to reflect the positions of ALL those that pay the bills. They need to play it right down the middle, and not takes sides.. JUST the facts..

However some of the programming is unique, and very informative, very well researched, beautifully filmed,, Anything Ken Burns does is well worth watching, and I look forward to this program... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 7:29 pm    

I saw a preview of the series and I can’t wait to see the whole deal. The stories and opinions that Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn shared were really great to hear.

All the best.
Brian Saulsman

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 8:05 pm    

PBS just brought us a beautiful 16 hour special on Country Music, and you criticize it for being “100% leftist”? PBS is politically straight down the middle, unless you watch and believe the propaganda arm of the white nationalists, Fox “News”.

Ken Burns reputation is beyond reproach. These are our tax dollars being used for the arts, and this music and truth-based programming belongs to us all.
When did your propaganda channel ever do that for us?
Shame on you.
John

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 4:09 am    

PBS is, for us, the last bastion of intelligent reportage. (If it were not for PBS and Turner Classic Movies we'd decline any form of transmission into our home.)

Their documentaries are fascinating and I find myself being drawn in to areas to which, previously, I'd given no thought.

As I said above, this looks promising.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 4:18 am    

John Goux wrote:
PBS just brought us a beautiful 16 hour special on Country Music, and you criticize it for being “100% leftist”? PBS is politically straight down the middle, unless you watch and believe the propaganda arm of the white nationalists, Fox “News”.
John

Straight Down the Middle?

I was watching PBS on Election night. Almost verbatim, two analysts are discussing the senate and say - "There's good news and bad news. The Democrats have a way to win the senate if they win in these 5 races (those states named). The bad news is the Republican is leading in all five races."

Yeah - straight down the middle with no bias at all...

Sorry to get political but BS is BS and has to be called.

I'm looking forward to this program because Ken Burns is a National Treasure.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 4:44 am    

I look forward to his version of the history of Country Music. Burns' documentaries are always intensely detailed and beautifully presented, but I was disappointed he did not devote considerable time to James Reese Europe in his documentary about jazz. Europe was certainly one of the most important and significant people in the genesis of jazz music, and in the development of Black American music, as well.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:12 am    

I’ve heard about this for awhile and I’m sure it’s interesting. I just think Ken Burns documentaries are too schmaltzy and nostalgic instead of a purely informative documentary.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:38 am    

I’m looking forward to Ken Burns’ documentary.
Here in Idaho, PBS is a state treasure. It is akin to having a public concert hall, documentary movie theatre, and in general, a community arts center.
All the other channels are filled the general crap that has dumbed-down America..
By god , it’s time to donate to them, thanks for the reminder!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:44 am    

Wow! Complaining about free airing of uninterrupted music programs.

Thank God for PBS. It's the only place that airs good music these days. I watched the Last of the Breed presentation last week. Ray Price, Merle Haggard, shortly before their demise, along with Willie Nelson backed by mostly Ray Benson and Asleep At the Wheel as the host band who did their amazing stuff as well.

I caught a little preview of the Ken Burns country piece during pledge week last. Coming soon a program called Big Family, I believe, which is concerns the history or Bluegrass.

There's a ton of country and bluegrass, americana etc. programs provided by PBS. Some of them are older programs but still great music.

I was made aware of many terrific musicians and vocalists through these resources with whom I was not previously acquainted and probably never would have known about.

Programs like Jubilee, Woodsongs, Bluegrass Underground, Music City Roots, Texas Music Scene, Songs of the Mountains, American Masters, In Performance, all the Gershwin awards shows, Library of Congress awards etc.

Austin City Limits has expanded it's scope to some music that doesn't particularly appeal to me, but there's still plenty of good music programs there too.

There are PBS Specials like the Highwaymen and other musical programs re-aired along with the current specials. Programs and documentaries about ethnic music, the history of music variety etc.

A special about Aretha is coming up too.

I've seen programs about the building of musical instruments of many types. Among them, Wayne Henderson, Tim Scheerhorn, Frank Harlowe, Paul Reed Smith, the man, his guitars [and his other lesser known genius in the area of digital technology.]

It's music programming you won't see or hear anywhere else and I'm so thankful they are still doing this.

Pledge weeks let you see Rhythm and Blues, Motown, DooWop, the Big Bands, 50's, 60's, 70's...great music from all the decades really...

I've only scratched the surface of the plethora of music programs aired by PBS. It's just about the only place on TV to see and hear decent music these days and it has been for many years too.

I'm disappointed by all of your politicizing. You should know better. Also, it exposes a side of you that I don't need to know about. Can't we just keep it about the music?

Thanks for the heads up on the Ken Burns program Sonny.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:47 am    

I’ll check it out but it will probably piss me off like his other pompous and bland works. Like that dreadful jazz documentary made for people that don’t listen too or like jazz. Or his revisionist and oddly romantic “Viet Nam”.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 6:07 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I’ll check it out but it will probably piss me off like his other pompous and bland works. Like that dreadful jazz documentary made for people that don’t listen too or like jazz. Or his revisionist and oddly romantic “Viet Nam”.

In Open Sky Jazz, a revisit review of the controversial ‘ Jazz’:

“Yes, Ken Burns “Jazz” was guilty of speed reading the advancements in the music represented by the latter half of the 20th century, and he whiffed on such a seminal modernist as Ornette Coleman, who surely deserved a broader portrait. So let’s hope someone or some crew adept on the contemporary side will more fully paint that picture. Until then, Ken Burns “Jazz” indeed stands as a monument of a jazz portrait.”

I hope someone else has the cohones to further documenting on film Jazz, Country Music, Blues, etc , but with such harsh critics, I sure wouldn’t try.
Ken Burns is trying. I’ll keep watching his craft. Looking forward to Country Music.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 6:34 am     No Politics Please

Just a reminder that political discussions are not allowed on the Steel Guitar Forum. A documentary about music is a fair subject; the politics of a television network is not.

If you want to discuss our forum's policy, do it in the Feedback section. Also, "thank you" to the members who alerted me to this volatile topic.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 7:49 am    

Quote:
Bob Carlucci
Not a fan of PBS 100% leftist political positions..

Bob, how 'blue' can it be? It's country music!

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 8:47 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
Bob Carlucci
Not a fan of PBS 100% leftist political positions..

Bob, how 'blue' can it be? It's country music!

Not to make you guys feel old, but country music is old enough now that talking about its history is more anthropology than it is politics. Laughing

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 9:41 am    

The great thing about Ken Burns’ productions is that they do indeed document the socio-political aspects of the topic at hand, from an honest and even-handed perspective. The main characters in the history of Country music cover the full spectrum, left to right, and I fully expect that will be made clear in the show. Plus there will be some great background music going on during the narration. Thanks for the heads up, Sonny.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 10:34 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
The great thing about Ken Burns’ productions is that they do indeed document the socio-political aspects of the topic at hand, from an honest and even-handed perspective. The main characters in the history of Country music cover the full spectrum, left to right, and I fully expect that will be made clear in the show. Plus there will be some great background music going on during the narration. Thanks for the heads up, Sonny.

I have the same misgivings that Bob Hoffnar mentioned. It seems like whenever country music is presented to audiences not familiar with the genre, that they emphasize the schmaltz, which is a shame because what actually defines it at its heart is that it embraces the ordinary - and searches for the sublime in it.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 10:51 am    

Curt Trisko wrote:
I have the same misgivings that Bob Hoffnar mentioned. It seems like whenever country music is presented to audiences not familiar with the genre, that they emphasize the schmaltz, which is a shame because what actually defines it at its heart is that it embraces the ordinary - and searches for the sublime in it.

It’s a valid point, though I don’t really understand why you quoted me in order to make it.
Maybe we’ll get lucky and Mr. Burns won’t treat his audience like Hee-Haw undergrads. On the other hand, if he treats them as esoteric Musicology PhD’s, his audience will be very small and PBS may think twice about his contract with them.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 11:20 am    

My friend Doug Jayne recently interviewed Ken Burns. You can hear it at https://norcalpublicmedia.org/radio/doug-jayne-ken-burns-interview-2.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:05 pm    

Well there you have it. A clarifying discussion with the series producer/director, short enough to change strings by. Thanks, b0b.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:26 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
though I don’t really understand why you quoted me in order to make it.

Interesting point...I don't know.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 4:13 pm    

For what it’s worth, in one of his previous documentaries about the National Parks, Ken spent a considerable time researching rare documents and photographs in the historical library where my wife is a reference librarian. He used a lot of their rare materials and a lot of their time, but did not credit the use of their resources (any of the Smoky Mountain photos included in his series came from their collection). That kind of behavior is rare among serious researchers.

Ken Burns produces entertaining series, but I think he goes in with a pre conceived notion of what he wants to find, and presents that view regardless of what else might come up along his research. Probably where the lack of mention of James Reese Europe’s role came from. And he likes to take the credit for it.

But I’ve still enjoyed several of his shows while taking them for what they are—entertainment more so than academic documentaries. And they are entertaining and have great soundtracks.

Dave

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 2:56 am    

Looking forward to it.