The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal height and shoes
Herbert Tinz

Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 6:24 am    

I'm interested in getting feedback about the "best" height of the three pedals to the E9 pedal steel.
Been trying a lot of different variations - due to being a newcomer on this fantastic instrument.
And this leads me as well to shoes - what is prefered in a broad sence? I understand that there are individual tastes in this, but maybe a hint of some "rules" would be helpful. For instance hard soles or soft, etc.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 7:05 am    

Some old but good threads, lots of dofferent personal preferences on this

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=319026

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=279961 (look at R. Sinkler's photo vs what Mickey Adams wrote in the other thread)

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 7:24 am     Re: Pedal height and shoes

The best height for the pedals is the one you are most comfortable with; same with the footwear you choose.

One general rule on pedals is the B should be a little lower than A and C. My B pedal starts about 1.5” high and bottoms out about 5/8” from the floor. Footwear will effect your optimal pedal height. If you also have a C6 neck, there are many others here more qualified than me to offer some insight on that.

Your fellow steelers will suggest playing in everything from bare feet to cowboy boots. Again, it’s a comfort thing. You have to be able to rock your foot from side to side and from heel to toe. You should try shoes, boots, slippers, moccasins, whatever is in your closet. But settle on something and work with it. I chose boots because I had a very comfortable pair with a soft shank and 1” heel that got my foot in a good position for working the pedals, and because they look cool and I am used to wearing them on stage.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 7:40 am    

You need to use footwear that offers ankle flexibility.
That's so you can rock on and off the pedals. Very Happy
Erv

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 8:00 am    

An on-going issue for me is that I can't get my 1st pedal (that's my 'C' pedal) off the ground enough. The pedal-rod isn't sufficiently 'threaded' to get it where I want it (higher than my 'B' pedal).

I know, I know - it's a simple 'fix', but me and tools don't get along very well.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 3:09 pm    

My first pedal is the highest. 2nd pedal is lower. The 3rd pedal is lowest. I play Day style, but when I played Emmons, they were the same. This allows for the ankle bending I need.

Herbert Tinz

Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 10:08 am     Thanx!

Great input, now I have something to try out.
First of all, trying out the shoes I have. From there on working with the height of the pedals.
And going through the earlier treads...

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:02 am    

I'm less than 2 years into playing this thing, and have spent most of that time trying to find the perfect shoes, and perfect pedal height. Ultimately, despite my wish to wear some cool-looking black boots, I finally accepted that low-top sneakers were best for me. I wear some Adidas skate shoes, and they're perfect (for me). Despite trying, I don't like anything with a bit of a longer toe, since it feels like it puts my foot too far back, and I'm pushing the pedals with a cantilevered sole, instead of pushing down directly with my foot.

The best advice I have seen re/pedal height is to start with placing your B pedal to where it bottoms out pretty close to the floor (but with enough clearance to accommodate carpet should you ever need to play on such a floor). So, probably 1/4-1/2" from the floor when depressed.

Then, adjust your A pedal so that when your foot is fully rocked over onto the B pedal, the clearance under the A pedal is about the same as the clearance under B when you do the opposite (playing A pedal only). This maximizes your fudge factor, preventing you from accidentally leaning on A when you are trying to play JUST B (or vice versa). You don't need to measure for this, you can tell by just seeing/feeling how far your foot moves down when you relax it before it touches the other pedal.

Finally, do the exact same thing to adjust the C pedal. For me (and most, it seems), that puts A and C slightly higher than B.

As always with this beast, YMMV.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 10:15 am    

You need a pair of these genuine Woose moccasins:

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 1:41 pm    

yup.. very individual for sure... you need to be able to hit all of them alone of course... but everyones ankle is different.... agree with a lot of comments that the footwear needs to be flexible enough.

I feel its SUPER important to look professional when playing and when playing pedal steel people are looking at your feet so I always wear nice footwear/boots... stiff materials like alligator and such don't work.. not enough flex for me.

Also I can have the super pointy toes.. they hit the rods... does not work for me.

Also WHAT you're set up on is important... that's why I am BLESSED to have adjustable pedal rods made by Ross from Sierra (all the new sierras come with them as well)

I can do a quick tweak at every show for the shoes I'm wearing and what Im set up on... setting up on grass or hardwood is WAY different and the pedals often need to be different... different heights of heels on shoes.. same thing.... I tweak a tiny bit at every show for sure.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 4:11 pm    

I’m new, I always have a problem touching the A pedal when trying to just press B. So I’m setting my A lower than B against the advice I see here. Should I work more on rolling my foot or just do what’s best for me?

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 4:26 pm    

do whats best for you but you should roll your foot and ankle way more than pivoting it if that makes sense... my homespun video goes over some of that setup stuff! Smile

(seriously it does)

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 7:06 pm    

Travis Wilson wrote:
I’m new, I always have a problem touching the A pedal when trying to just press B. So I’m setting my A lower than B against the advice I see here. Should I work more on rolling my foot or just do what’s best for me?

What about when you just want to press A? Can you keep your foot off of B? For me it is much easier to isolate A and B by keeping A higher. I’m a 3rd year beginner.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 4:55 pm    

Josh Yenne wrote:
do whats best for you but you should roll your foot and ankle way more than pivoting it if that makes sense... my homespun video goes over some of that setup stuff! Smile

(seriously it does)

Can I get a link to your vid?

Alan Muir

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 5:48 pm    

I use a pair of "Barefoot" running shoes. Thin sole and light weight. Mine are Merrill knockoffs. They look like bowling shoes and are Dude Certified. Smile

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:29 pm    

No shoes here. Just wear plain white tube socks. Both necks. Almost 40 years no shoes. I have to feel those pedals rock.