The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Well I'm Excited!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 10:33 am    

Tonight the wife and I are going to a JR. BROWN show. I've never been to a show with a steel guitar playing, so I'm excited to say the least. It's not quite a lap steel, but pretty neat anyway. "I'm just a doin my job, I'm the Highway Patrol.".

Last edited by Bill Groner on 6 Jun 2019 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 11:32 am    

I saw him years ago...maybe an odd choice for me at the time as I like very little country music, attend very few local concerts, and wasn't into steel guitar yet. But he puts on a great show...he's a true steel guitarist, he just happens to be a wizard with the fretted neck too.

I need to keep an eye on his schedule and catch him again!

Another popular steel guitar act, Larkin Poe...I'm going to manage to hear them in Salina KS on the first day of our road trip vacation in a week or so...

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 11:59 am    

I’m a bit jealous. Also not a huge country music fan. But heck... Junior Brown!
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 12:06 pm    

We used to go every night for several years running when Junior played the free stage at the Minnesota State Fair many moons ago. He ran that contraption through two silverface Twins that moved some major air outdoors at the state fairgrounds. The man does an outstanding show. I plan to see him up on the mountain in August. I was elated to learn he's touring out here in the boondocks:

https://www.coloradotrain.com/concerts/junior-brown/

Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 2:49 pm    

Jr. was the headliner in Winnipeg, MB a few years ago at the 100 year anniversary celebration of the Royal George Hotel. I bought tickets for my wife and son. He put on one heck of a show. He will blow you away with his talent.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 7:11 pm    

All I can say is WOW! Dennis you were right......man, what talent. Very nice guy....they had a meet and greet after the show and I asked Jr. if he would autograph my lap steel. He said sure! I really think he wanted to play it, but lots of fans needed an autograph. Going to put the ticket from the show inside the guitar for posterity. It sure was a good night.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 7:17 am    

That's great!!!

I found he's coming to KC in July. May have to make that happen...

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 7:44 am    

Do your best to make it happen and take along that frypan.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 10:07 am    

Bill Groner wrote:

Will try, although might leave the frypan at home...the idea of anyone taking to that brand new, pristine instrument with a sharpie pains me too much...maybe after it gets its first dent in it Smile

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 10:28 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
Bill Groner wrote:

Will try, although might leave the frypan at home...the idea of anyone taking to that brand new, pristine instrument with a sharpie pains me too much...maybe after it gets its first dent in it Smile

Understood. I made mine, and all it takes is some isopropyl and it's off. You have a lot more $$'s invested in yours. I had a lot of people ask me exactly what it was? Some were even guitar players!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 6:05 am     Seen him about 1991

Hi Bill,
Seen him about 1991 when he was playing in San Francisco. The south of Market area for those who know that city.
He was really a good entertainer then so I'm guessing he's even better now.
I remember he did a lot of older Honky Tonk standards which I love.
Would like to see him again some time.
Glad you had a good time at the show! Very Happy
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 5:33 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I plan to see him up on the mountain in August.

I hopped on the San Luis & Rio Grande RR car number 510 -- the Eastern Flyer -- this morning, for the scenic two-hour ride from Alamosa up to Fir to see Junior Brown.

Amazingly, the stage and outbuildings are brand-new, since the originals perished in last summer's Spring Fire. The remnants of the burn scar are clearly visible.

Mr. Brown and his band did not disappoint.

Mr. Brown proved incapable of keeping his hat on during a wonderful -- albeit breezy -- afternoon away out on the mountain.

Mrs. Brown got a kick out of hubby's hair blowin' in the wind.

The hat was temporarily back on, as Junior deemed necessary to play an old ET tune.

Time for Mrs. Brown to take the mic.

After 31 years together, Mrs. Brown still gets a chuckle from that low E-string thing.

Not a bad way to spend the day.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 6:13 pm     Wish I'd been there!

Hi Jack,
Wish I'd been there!... Very Happy
Looks like it was great fun and he's such a good entertainer too. Laughing
He looks very different from when I saw him years ago in the late 80's or early 90's.
But don't we all?
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 7:15 pm    

I saw him on TV some years ago, and enjoyed his take on Ernest Tubb ! I have a CD of him here , someplace !

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 2:56 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gnSgstJ1Q

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 5:37 am    

Jr is great ! Hey Jack...I played in Alamosa many times in '77-'78...Purple Pig...also in Creed ..Mike Espinoza,Jim Crier,Ron Kennon, Charlie Johnson... Great Buffalo Trading Co.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 9:47 am    

Andy, you'd have loved the show. Junior Brown is a unique American treasure. And since the railroad encourages its performers to mingle with the passengers on the 2+ hour ride back down to the depot, I was able to visit with the Browns for a good ten-fifteen minutes and found them to be wonderful, gracious, down to earth folks. Junior kindly and thoughtfully answered my many questions, and I learned quite a bit about his unique instrument and his fabulous technique.

Chris, I know the Purple Pig is still going strong in Alamosa. Live music may be a thing of the past there, however. The Rubi Slipper still has live music from time to time. I'm unfamiliar with the Great Buffalo Trading Co. in Creede, having only been up there two or three times. I've been out here in the potato patch about 3-1/2 years now, so none of the names you mentioned ring any bells. I'll have to check with the handful of musical acquaintances I've made since I moved to the Valley.

It's interesting to note that neither the rail line nor the city of Alamosa would exist if not for the silver strike in Creede in the late 19th Century.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 3:16 pm     Bet your right

Hi Jack,
Bet your right about that. He was already real good when I saw him years ago.
Here is a picture for you that I found somewhere on the forum.
Best wishes,
Andy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 9:48 pm    

The guit-steel you see Junior playing onstage is the second one built by Michael Stevens called "Big Red". His first guit-steel, which was built in 1985 is called "Old Yeller" and his pedal guit-steel, with a Stevens guitar and Sho-Bud pedal steel is called "Old Bud". He plays the guit-steel standing up because I heard him say that sitting down to play and sing wasn't how he performs. The guit-steel was born one day after Junior got his guitar and steel and laid them flat on his bed, and after he had a dream he was playing it, he called Michael Stevens and they got together to build the guitsteel. Junior, at one time, was the only person to play the guitsteel, but he and Michael Stevens build guitsteels for anybody to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger