The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage One Foot Volume Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 6:31 am    

Here's my review of the Stage One volume pedal. It's been working great for me in my home studio. I've included detailed photos and lots of sound clips!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Stage%20One%20Volume%20Pedal/Stage%20One%20Volume%20Pedal.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 11:01 am    

thanks for the Pics Greg. How does the gear fit on the pot shaft?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 11:38 am    

Greg, I noticed that you don't use a bracket for the pedal. Is one available or will the Goodrich fit?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 11:55 am    

Greg, see large picture here:

https://reverb.com/item/2944417-potentiometer-dunlop-hot-potz-470k

I appears to be keyed to the flat spot on the pot shaft and held on via a snap ring retainer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 11:59 am    

Larry, the Tom Bradshaw pedal bracket will work on this Stage One pedal:

https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/pedal_bracket.php

In fact here's link for this from the SG Forum:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=293359&sid=7d3e87b803a0cd0cede39c0f0c6de41c

Note that both the height and width of the bracket is adjustable.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 2:06 pm    

Greg, are you a non bracket user? I like it to keep from moving my pedal. Thanks for the link and excellent review with examples.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 3:09 pm    

Never felt that I needed a bracket in the studio. On a gig I would want one provided it didn't interfere with my habit of placing the front of my foot past the front of the pedal!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 4:39 pm    

I should also point out that the pedal off stop point can be adjusted by moving the rear stop post forward or back in its slot! Doug Earnest pointed this out to me and I've updated the review to reflect this.

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 10:46 am     stage one vp

got mine from doug about 3 wks or so i like it a lot

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 8:33 am    

Thank you for the nicely written review Greg! I love to hear your playing.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 11:04 am    

Here is my opinion. Doug builds a great pedal, at a excellent price. It operates from a reliable pot gear system, instead of a pulley on a string. The pedal is extremely light, and that is a good thing. Doug's pedal is American made, not China made. Doug is one of the most reliable honest people in the business. Doug will be there if there is any kind of problem. Plus Doug is a friend of mine.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 4:43 pm    

I love you Keith Hilton!

Thanks for all the help and advice you have given me. If I was about a third as smart as you are I would have the world by the tail. You build a right fine pedal yourself, one that set a new standard many years ago and continues to be a top choice.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 6:08 pm    

really like mine. thanks Doug..!

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 5:23 am    

Ditto on all the nice comments on the Stage One volume pedal. Bought one a few years ago and noticed a slight scratchy sound, contacted Doug and he sent me a new pot, no questions asked for free, no more scratchy sound.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 1:15 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:
I love you Keith Hilton!

Thanks for all the help and advice you have given me. If I was about a third as smart as you are I would have the world by the tail. You build a right fine pedal yourself, one that set a new standard many years ago and continues to be a top choice.
wow
Doug what’s the. height. compared to a Lowboy
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 8:56 am    

Greg has some nice pictures in his review side by side with some other popular pedals, click the link on the first post of this thread.

Fully On Front 2-1/2", rear 2"
Fully Off Front 3-3/4", rear 1-3/16"

3-1/2" wide, 9-1/4" long

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 9:06 am    

I received my Stage One volume pedal from Doug Ernest, yesterday and am happily surprised by the sound, size and weight. Who knew a volume pedal didn't need to be heavy?!

The profile of the pedal is lower than "standard", so that my knee is not up in the rods n bell cranks but not so low that I'll need to adjust the action on my guitar. Pedal action is smooth and stays put if I take my foot off of it, and its built here!

Thanks, Doug. I think I'll get another as a back up.

Tom

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 9:02 am    

I bought two Stage One volume pedals from Doug a few years ago. I still have, and use one. I gave the other one to my friend when his regular pedal gave out on a radio show. I like them and Doug is great to deal with.