The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stiff Stage One Nylon Tuners
Jim Basque

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 7:37 am    

I bought a used Stage One (2010 model I think) a few months ago and finally tackled replacing the strings. The nylon nuts on the end are very stiff. I am wondering if they should be this stiff or if they need lubrication. I searched this topic on the forum but could not find anything. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:22 am    

That is how the tuners have been on my Stage One since I bought it 3 years ago. It’s the only steel I have ever owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. But they do seem stiff and I worry about rounding out the hex heads when I tune. The good thing is, I only have to re-tune at the nuts if I change string gauges, or maybe try a new brand of string. So that stiffness apparently is related to holding the tuning stable.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 12 Aug 2019 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:30 am    

Do you have a 5 mm socket wrench and 7/64" allen key w/T handle or a little round handle, not the L shaped ones? And Doug E's instructions about adjusting A and B w/both depressed and adjusting the one lever w/pedal A depressed?

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 9:29 am    

You need a 5mm nut driver or deep socket or 5mm knob type tuning wrench.
The tuning nuts are stiff on purpose. You won't hurt anything as long as you have a good amount of engagement on your tuning wrench.

Jim Basque

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 10:46 am     Stiff Stage One Nylon Tuners

Thanks for replies! I have the 7/64" wrench and that works fine, but was using the wrong socket wrench. My steel did not come with one so I mistakenly bought a 3/16". Hope I didn't mess up the nylon ends. I will get the correct 5 mm now. Glad I asked.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 7:15 pm     Stiff Stage One Nylon Tuners

Before changing strings you may want to remove the nylon tuning nuts. Check the ends of the pull rods. I have seen pull rods some one cut off with a set of pliers and messed up 2 threads. A little work with a file will cure the problem. They turn hard and will sometimes tear the threads in the nylon nut so bad the nuts will slip on the threads. Guitar will not hold tuning. If the Nylon tuning nuts are just tight a little rub of Bee's Wax or candle wax will allow them to be turned but not moving unwanted once tuned. Happy Steelin.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 8:41 am     Stiff nylon tuners

You might try graphite powder as it works wonders for me you may also have to use a light oil to make it stick like trim flow to spray inside the nylon tuner.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 9:03 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:
You need a 5mm nut driver or deep socket or 5mm knob type tuning wrench.
The tuning nuts are stiff on purpose. You won't hurt anything as long as you have a good amount of engagement on your tuning wrench.

Quoting just cuz Doug’s comment is worth repeating, and in case anyone doesn’t realize he is the guy who builds the Stage One and probably knows a thing or two about them.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 9:48 am    

Just an observation. The white plastic tuner nuts are stiffer to turn than the translucent ones used by Mullen, MCI, Zum, Derby etc.....at least in their earlier models.

Of course there are various makers of the white plastic ones, but I've found some of them too stiff to the point of tweaking the pull rod and making it difficult to pinpoint the pitch. Yes, they should have some resistance in order to keep the pulled note stable, but they should not be so stiff as to bend the pull rod when tuning. JMO.

I defer of course to Doug Earnest concerning the Stage One.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 12:43 pm    

If nuts on a Stage One do get so stiff as to tweak the rod, take the nut all the way off and use a dab of white grease or vaseline on the threads. It might be a good idea to clean the threads first. I have not heard of this happening but you never can tell.

After watching some nightmares that Bruce Zumsteg went through on having tuning nuts manufactured, I decided to use a standard industrial part when I began making the Stage Ones. If the hole in the nut was about five thousandths of an inch bigger they would turn a bit smoother and still hold tuning nicely. After I drilled out about a thousand of them I decided that this was crap. You would too if you were doing it and trying to make a living selling economy guitars. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 3:37 am    

Doug please check your Emails. I sent you one & got no reply. If you didn’t get it I’ll try again.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 7:47 am     Remedy

The hex material is threaded, as it is installed...correct?
My remedy has always been....Get a drill, attach the hex socket, put it on high speed, run it in and out several times...This will heat it up, it will form to the rod, and be smooth as silk...Smile
Just be sure you don't run them so far as to push the changer fingers past their limits, or the thread into to a CLOSED END HEX NUT...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!