The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone using Logic Pro to record Steel??
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 4:26 pm    

Anyone using Logic Pro to record steel? I've been working on some background music for a video series, and did one country waltz with my Stage One. I simply could not find a decent clean amp sim in Logic, so I ended up going direct and just adding some compression, eq and reverb. Pretty happy with the sound.....but a good amp sim might be less sterile? What do you think?

BTW.....I haven't been playing steel all that long, and hadn't sat down behind it in months, so be gentle on the playing, please!!

(steel kicks in @ :24)

https://soundcloud.com/jim-fogarty-319036807/pedal-steel-and-guitar-waltz-pfu-background

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:11 pm    

I've been playing with Garageband a lot lately and haven't been too thrilled with the amp sims either. I think what you came up with sounds really good, clean and clear. Nice chill track too, well done.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:54 pm    

Colin Swinney wrote:
I've been playing with Garageband a lot lately and haven't been too thrilled with the amp sims either. I think what you came up with sounds really good, clean and clear. Nice chill track too, well done.

Thanks, Colin......I'm having fun putting together these tracks with Logic.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 4:30 am    

There are several 3rd party amp sim plugins that are compatible with Logic and work well with steel guitar. Bias Amp from Positive Grid is nice and it's not too expensive:

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/

I'm still on the original Bias Amp, not the '2' version, but I may try it. Tommy Detamore turned me on to this particular plug, and he's shared a couple of his amp modeling setups to the big ToneCloud 'library' that is accessible to all users. I just downloaded his patches and tweaked a bit to my taste. They're much better than anything I'd tried before.

Looks like there's a promotional on the 'Standard' version at the moment, 59.00, regularly 99.00.

Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:33 am    

It’s a little pricey but I use a Two Notes Torpedo live to run my Super Reverb directly into Logic and it sounds great.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 7:14 am    

Logic only runs on OS2, right?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 8:10 am    

There are Neve, API, and Pultec style EQs under EQ ->Vintage EQ collection. They might give you the extra gain and shaping you're looking for, and with a little added color. If you don't see them there then you'll want to update to the current version of Logic. I don't know exactly when they added them but it's a fairly recent addition.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 9:21 am     song

Jim that sounds great to me. If I could duplicate that right now I'd be a happy clam. Also listened to that shortie that followed with you on reso. Like it lots!! Both clean and uncluttered.
Dick Smile Smile Smile

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:42 am     Re: song

Dick Chapple Sr wrote:
Jim that sounds great to me. If I could duplicate that right now I'd be a happy clam. Also listened to that shortie that followed with you on reso. Like it lots!! Both clean and uncluttered.
Dick Smile Smile Smile

Thanks so much, Dick! Very nice of you. I'm having a blast with this stuff.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:43 am    

Brett Lanier wrote:
There are Neve, API, and Pultec style EQs under EQ ->Vintage EQ collection. They might give you the extra gain and shaping you're looking for, and with a little added color. If you don't see them there then you'll want to update to the current version of Logic. I don't know exactly when they added them but it's a fairly recent addition.

I've got the latest (just bought it), so I'll check that out. Still finding my way around. Thanks!