The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wiring for a Stringmaster Quad
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 11:25 am    

As you may have seen from my other thread, I am restoring a Quad Stringmaster.

I've got the necks and the hardware I need with the exception of the neck selecter.

The one I have is for a triple neck and I was thinking of fitting 4 toggles like in the picture.

The only guitar toggle switches I can find are "Les Paul" style 3 position switches, but I need simple on/off I can find them for power supplies (usually 12v). Would they work? Does anyone know a source for the style in the photo?

Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for a 4 neck Stringmaster (modern type with blend knob) I'd be very grateful.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 12:36 pm    

John Ely has a wiring diagram for a triple neck Stringmaster. I doubt you'll find one for this relatively rare guitar, but it is possibly out there.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 12:47 pm    

Thanks Brad,

When the time comes, I'll pass it to the guy who will wiring it all up for me.

I'm sure it's easy enough to work out how to add an extra neck in (especially as the 4th neck is exactly the same as the 3rd) for someone who knows what they are doing - i.e. not me Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 2:13 pm    

The switches in the picture look far more reliable and easy to use than the original pushbuttons. The pushbuttons tend to stick and require cleaning once in a while.

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:33 am    

Not sure where in the UK to find them, but I'm sure there are many sources. What you are looking for is a simple mini toggle switch like these from Stewmac. Voltage rating makes no difference for guitar use. The voltage generated by a pickup is just a very small fraction of a volt, millivolts.
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Mini_Toggle_Switches.html

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:56 am    

Thanks Tom,

I atually have those switches on my T-8 and they work fine. Ironically, it was my thoughts of replaacing these with a proper push button switch that led to the quad project.

While they work fine, they look a bit modern to me and I really prefer the look of the larger switches in the photo I posted.

I realise that the pickups generate a tiny voltage (I wasn't worried about blowing anything up) I was worried that using something intended for power level voltage might have had some associated problem with resistance or whatever, making them unsuitable.

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 6:19 am    

No need to worry about the larger style, they will work fine. While a larger higher voltage switch may contain a little larger conductor, resistance would actually be a little less. You can think of resistance a lot like traffic on the freeway. Electrons are the cars, and the bigger the road, the more electrons can travel freely, or, with less resistance. Or in our low voltage case, its like two Jaguar F-Type's racing on a empty track.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 8:53 am    

Thanks again Tom - I think I understand now - good analogy.

I think I may have found a suitable switch - just need to check there is enough space in the control cavity under the plate.

Just need to work out if I can drill 4 holes neatly in place of the 3 already there.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 9:10 am     Brad is right

John Ely there is triple neck on there but you can figure out fairly quickly how to do the 4th

www.hawaiiansteel.com/instruments/diagrams.php

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 9:53 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
...While they work fine, they look a bit modern to me and I really prefer the look of the larger switches in the photo I posted...

Have you tried Tandy?

(For American members I should mention that Tandy is the company that owns Radio Shack, and, outside of the U.S. their stores are all labelled Tandy, although inside the stores they look exactly the same as RAdio Shack, and their catalogues are in the same house style.)

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 11:14 am     Ace is the Place

Ace Hardware on line Has them, -- you want On-On

The Ace Type are made for Motors or Lighting, and are some thing like 10 - 15 amps @120 volt, = super heavy duty.

I use Gaynor Switches -- if you can find them they are the best, In my case I buy them 100 at a time to be able to buy directly from the Manufacture.

I am certain you can find something in UK at a Lighting Shop or Auto Spares Shop. Very Happy

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 12:46 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:

Have you tried Tandy?

Sadly, all the Tandy stores over here closed a good few years ago, although I just noticed to my suprise that thy still have an online presence.

They have pretty much been replaced by Maplin although there aren't nearly as many of them as there were of Tandy (one in every high street pretty much).

I've still got a couple of Tandy ("Realistic" brand) PZM mics that I still use from time to time.

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 3:32 am     T8 Switches

Hey Jeff,
This is a really old post. Smile

On your T8 how did you have the toggle switches set up?
Simple on/off for each neck?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 3:42 am     Re: T8 Switches

Michael James wrote:
Hey Jeff,
This is a really old post. Smile

On your T8 how did you have the toggle switches set up?
Simple on/off for each neck?

Yes, on off for each neck - same as I did with the full size toggles on the quad and on my more recent double.

I had a harness that held the switches with just the toggles poking through the holes to avoid drilling out the control plate.

Michael James

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 3:50 am    

Thanks for the info Jeff!
Did you use mini 1/4" (6.35mm) switches or the larger 15/32" (12mm) switches?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 6:56 am    

Yes, the smaller ones.

I'm pretty sure I've still got them in my parts drawer with the harness we made if that's any use to you. Just PM me your address.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 7:06 am    

Yes, the smaller ones.

I'm pretty sure I've still got them in my parts drawer with the harness we made if that's any use to you. Just PM me your address.

Michael James

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 10:50 am    

Would it be possible to post a pic of the harness?

Michael James

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 4:04 pm    

You wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for converting from the 3 bush button to the three toggle switches?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 11:26 pm    

Michael James wrote:
Would it be possible to post a pic of the harness?

As you can see, it's a plate that holds the mini toggles in place with just the levers poking through the holes. The mounting screws use the same holes the original switch assembly used.

Michael James

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 4:25 am    

Very interesting and innovative! Thanks for posting the pic!

Michael James

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 12:07 pm    

I ended up using three simple mini on/off toggles. I found some (1/4"X7/8") chrome washers at the hardware store that did a great job of hiding the old switch mounting holes.
I had to drill out the plate holes with a 15/64" drill bit so the mini toggles would mount into the plate.
I did not have to remove any wood from the switch cavity. It was a very close fit. There was no room to spare.
It came out really nice and works perfectly. Toggles pointing towards the pickups is on.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 9:14 am    

On instruments with two pickups I've found it useful to use double-pole-double-throw switches so that I can throw the pickups in or out of phase with each other. Out-of-phase pickups can give a completely different sound, which can sometimes be useful.