The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Invitation to a Dream" review and sample
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 11:29 am    

For the few who might have an interest in this (or for those who may be curious) . . .

Two years ago, Joe McPhee, Ken Vandermark (two of the best musicians in the world) and I met in Austin, Texas to record an album. I had played off and on with Joe for the last fifteen years, but I had never met Ken. We met, talked very little, and started playing, and the record that came out is titled "Invitation to a Dream", with the dedication being, "We lovingly dedicate this album to refugees, immigrants, and the persecuted wherever they may be."

As with all improvised music, this record is a total one time unique happening that can never be repeated in the same way.

The sample cut in the article is "Bing Went Ming".

I hope you enjoy it.

http://magnetmagazine.com/2019/08/06/magnet-exclusive-premiere-of-susan-alcorn-joe-mcphee-and-ken-vandermarks-bing-says-ming/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MagnetMagazine+%28Magnet+Magazine%29

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 11:49 am    

Well, I guess i should have read all the way through the article before I posted, but it appears that the sample track is not available. It and when it does, I'll post it. My apologies.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 12:41 pm    

OK, Here’s a review of the album on NPR that has a sample - the title cut, Invitation to a Dream”. It’’s not in the headline, so you’ll have to scroll down a bit.

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2019/08/06/747021002/vikings-choice-spanish-screamo-bubblegum-punk-eastern-orthodox-black-metal?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=music&utm_campaign=nprmusic

- Mary Oliver

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 12:20 pm    

And on Bandcamp, the title song:

https://vandermark1.bandcamp.com/album/invitation-to-a-dream

- Mary Oliver