The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I am not familar with pedal boards. Do I need one?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 4:00 am    

I have a Lehlie volume pedal, a Black Box, a Wet Reverb pedal,and a DD-3 pedal. The Black Box uses 110. volts AC. Everything else uses 9 volt DC. I have to use 3 wall warts. I have the two stomp boxes mounted to the top of the Black Box with velcro. How does a pedal board work to eliminate wall warts? I would still have to have one for my volume pedal, wouldn't I? I am thinking I could mount the Black Box and the two pedals in a pedal board case, but I would still have to plug the Black Box and volume pedal into a power strip. With a pedal board, I would have to carry another piece to eliminate plugging in two wall warts, but then I would have to plug in the pedal board and the Black Box. Having to carry an extra piece with the pedal board, I don't know if there is enough to gain to make it worthwhile. Anybody got any thoughts?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 4:49 am    

You could play the flute.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 5:05 am    

George, the pedal board is only as convenient as you make it. Power supplies can vary and I doubt one would serve the various voltages required for you. Plus it's not going to fit under your steel. Look at a few examples of other forum members and see what they are using. I use a rack effects sitting alongside my steel. One more piece of gear to haul. Recently I skipped the rack and just used a Fender Mustang 111 v2 amp. 100 watts and all the effects I need. My other new rig is the Boss Katana 100, same category with all the effects needed. Both are super lightweight and great tone. Both have all the stomp box options built in. Yes they do require some programming but I find it fairly simple. Both have line outs for the PA.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 6:08 am    

A pedal board is for if you need to be stepping on something to turn pedals off/on.

As you have yours set up now they are on top of the Black Box, so we assume you're not stepping on the pedals.

But even if you don't step on anything, a small pedal board will consolidate the pedals/power supply into one already connected and mounted unit. Yes another thing to carry but easier than dealing with individual pedal connections.

As far as wall warts, a universal power supply would eliminate the wall warts but it would depend on what voltages are needed. Some power supplies spit out more than one voltage at the same time. Then you have to put the power supply somewhere. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

The use of an amp with effects is an all in one solution. But if you're needing specific pieces to get your sound, there is no work around and you have to break down and go through the motions of setting things up and tearing them down.

After that, there are pedal racks. PHD (piled higher and deeper)

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 7:39 am    

Couple of power options... if you don’t mind using a bigger board, there are power supplies with AC outlets so that you can both plug in your Black Box and other effects needing other types of power. The power supply can be mounted under some pedalboards or it can always be mounted on top.

If you want to go with a smaller pedalboard, there are some mini power supplies that work fine as well. Just means using two outlets when you set up; one for the power supply and one for your BB. (Three if you also have a volume pedal needing to be plugged in.)

Lots of options out there. I put off using pedalboards for years because I liked using different pedals on different gigs and didn’t want to ‘commit’ to a board but now that I’ve started using them I love the convenience. Plus, using Velcro and a flexible power supply, it’s actually really easy to swap pedals in, out, and around when you want to.

Chris Stainback

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 9:15 am    

If you go with a slightly oversized board you can alway zip-tie a power strip on there and continue to use the wall warts you already have. You can buy a "one spot" or get an isolated power supply if you'd like to use that to consolidate the 9 volt pedals to one outlet. If you leave them plugged into the power strip you only have to plug in your instrument cables and that single power plug to the strip and you're running. Another plus is they often come with a bag or hard case for making transport safer/easier. My two cents anyway!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 9:37 am     I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Thanks for all the input. I don't understand how a bunch of different pedals can be chained together and get power to operate without each one having its own wall wart. I guess a trip to the local music store and look at one live and in person will pretty much answer all my questions. Then I can decide if it's for me or not.

I just sold my Katana 100 head. It was a great amp and the built in reverb and delay were really good. However, I still preferred the sound of my Wet Reverb and DD-3.
I am getting an Evans SE 200 on Sept. 8 and am thinking ahead about how to set things up for it. Right now, I am fine because with my current rack, everything is plugged into a rack mount power strip.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 9:51 am    

George..The 'One Spot' is available with a jumper that will chain your pedals together to utilize one power supply...FYI; the latest version of the Peterson 'Strobostomp' features a 9V out function (which is how I power the five pedals on my pedal board). Simply plug the power supply into the tuner and use the aforementioned jumper to run from the tuner to the pedals.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 10:29 am     Re: I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

George Kimery wrote:
......I don't understand how a bunch of different pedals can be chained together and get power to operate without each one having its own wall wart........

One of many many options for multiplying a single power supply.
Paying attention to the maximum amperage of the PS output is essential (and the total current draw of all of the pedals).

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 10:52 am    

George, I believe you use a rack, correct? Depending on how much room you have inside and if you need access to the pedals, here's another way to go:

My band switched to in ear monitors this year, so I used that for a reason to redo and downsize my rig. I needed a great direct sound going to the PA, and the option to use a speaker sometimes. I wanted to make it more self contained with less setup time (no wall warts) and less weight. After a few iterations, I ended up with this and it's working great:

A 3u rack with a Sarno Revelation preamp and this stuff inside mounted on the rear rails:
- Neunaber Immerse reverb in the Rev loop (using the Wet reverb setting)
- Neunaber Iconoclast cabinet simulator going out to the PA and headphone jack on the front panel (this is set up to simulate JBL D130s)
- Ojai power supply powering the 2 pedals and 3 DC power outputs on the front panel. It has 5 isolated DC outputs, like having 5 wall warts. 2 of the outputs are switchable from 9v to 12v or 18v

The only pedal I need access to when playing is an overdrive. It's on the floor next to my volume pedal. I don't really need access to the reverb knobs. The Rev FX level knob on the Rev is all I ever use. But, to have that option, I added FX loop switching jacks on the front panel that switch the loop from the internal verb to whatever I plug in on the front.

Set up is fast. Plug in AC power, an XLR to the PA, the Sarno Black Box cable harness, and a 9v DC to my overdrive pedal. Sometimes I connect my Omni VP to DC power also. If I need an amp for extra stage volume I have a Ganz Straight Ahead amp mounted inside a 12"cabinet with a Double-T 12.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 1:47 pm     I am not familar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Lots of really appreciated help. I think all I need is the cable that Jon posted. (I didn't know such a cord existed) My Black Box with the Wet Reverb and DD-3 velcro'd to the top fit into my gig bag, so I will not have to carry an extra piece like I would if I get a pedal board. I can p!ug a One Spot and the Black Box into the power strip, and have the cord like Jon showed pre-plugged into the Wet Reverb and DD-3. Plug in the volume pedal and I'm good to go. Simple, but simplest is often the best.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 1:54 pm    

Make sure that it has one female plug (as in the picture). These also come as all-male daisy chains for plugging into the jack of a power supply box rather than being used with the male output of a wallwart. Get the wrong one and you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out how you get from here to there.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 5:39 pm    

This is my go to Boss 3 pedal case with the power supply and tuner installed .

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 7:02 pm     I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Jon, thanks. I am aware of that. Len, I like your little set-up. Just for a heck of it, I am going to look at this pedal board when I am at Guitar Center getting the cable.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 3:45 am    

Daisy-chains can be ok, but they can also be problematical...depends upon what stomp boxes they are joined to.. can generate noise....

I use an isolated power supply unit for all the individual effects that I use with one rig...it uses a Switchmode power IN unit supplying 15 volts to a small 'brick' which then has five 9 volt outlets...all isolated.

Simple, small, (brick is smaller than a cigarette packet), came with the 15 volt PSU plus 5 (9 volt) patchcords to go to the individual pedals, and the whole lot cost me close to 50 bucks all the way Down Here in Oz.

I'm sure that similar stuff is available where you are, and probably cheaper too...

HTH
Peter

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 4:32 am     I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Peter, this is very interesting. I would like more information. Do you have a name and model number and possibly a photo?

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:39 am    

The MXR and voodoos are pretty popular, I would assume Strymon's are top notch also but pricier https://www.sweetwater.com/c961--Power_Supplies

Reverb and the guitar magazines have articles about everything pedalboard related, if you think your collection is going to grow: power supply, cables, buffer, effects loops, order they're laid out etc

https://reverb.com/news/6-steps-building-custom-pedalboard-rig

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/video-guitar-worlds-guide-building-pedal-board

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:06 am    

This little board has made life easy for festivals and travel- easy quick and packable.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:20 am    

Hi George. A single One Spot may or may not have enough current to power multiple pedals. Also some pedals don't play well with others on the same power supply (hum, noise, etc.) An isolated supply overcomes these issues. Many have multiple 9v outputs and a couple of 12, 15, 18 volts as well. See Gene's link to Sweetwater's power supplies.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 2:15 pm    

Worth mentioning regarding the Boss 3 pedal case is when you close the cover, the knobs on the effects pedals are not disturbed. Very convenient not having to make adjustments after accidentally moving the knobs.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 3:36 pm     I am not familar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Mike, I am concerned about my Lehle volume pedal not working. It works on voltage from 9 to 15 volts, but when I tried it with a 9 volt adapter I had, I got distortion. I then bought a 12 volt Shure power supply and it works fine. Others are using a One Spot without any problems so the multi-cable route is a crap shoot, but it's inexpensive to try it.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 4:05 pm    

Perhaps the adapter you tried doesn't have quite enough current for it at 9volts. You can always try the daisy chain cable and see if your pedals are happy. If they're not, I'd go with a Strymon supply.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Peter Harris

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 3:39 am     Re: I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

George Kimery wrote:
Peter, this is very interesting. I would like more information. Do you have a name and model number and possibly a photo?

Here's what I can buy in Oz...there will be equivalents...

HTH

Peter

https://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-dc-tank-guitar-effect-pedal-mini-power-station-9v

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 4:41 am     I am not familiar with pedal boards. Do I need one?

Peter, I did a search as to what is available in the USA and found several different brands for $32.00 to $35.00 and are 10 outlets with 9v, 12v, and 18v and include 10 connecting cords and free shipping. I am going to order one. Thank you so much for making me aware of these products.

Peter Harris

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 1:13 pm    

You're very welcome ! Hope it all comes together well for you.

Cheers,
Peter