| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Anyone Using The Free Cakewalk by BandLab DAW?
Jim Fogle

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 11:32 am    

Cakewalk by BandLab was called Sonar until Gibson sold the DAW assets to BandLab Technologies.

BandLab dropped all third party content and released the high end DAW software that works on 64 bit Windows 7 or higher operating systems. The high end edition was formally called Sonar Platinum. Unlike Sonar a 32 bit version is not available. If you have Sonar Platinum installed on your computer then Cakewalk by Bandlab will install beside Sonar and both DAWs will share the third party content that shipped with Sonar.

Why would you want to use Cakewalk by BandLab instead of your existing Sonar Platinum? Because Cakewalk by Bandlab is maintained by mostly the same Boston, Massachusetts USA development team. The developers have applied almost two years of fixes and improvements to the DAW. That means you will be using a DAW that is more reliable, stable and crash resistant than what you presently use. This month saw the most aggressive update so far with more than 150 bug fixes.

To use the free software create a free Bandlab account, download the BandLab Assistant (which manages the initial and future installations) and click a button to begin the installation. Links below.

Download BandLab Assistant: [/url]https://www.bandlab.com/products/desktop/assistant[url]

Cakewalk Forum: [/url]https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php[url]

August, 2019 update information with links to information about prior updates: [/url]https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/5529-current-release-201907-updated-5-aug-19/[url]

I'll be happy to try and answer any Cakewalk questions that I can as responses, private message or via e-mail.[/url]

Dell laptop Win 7, i3, 8GB, 480GB SSD
2019 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW

Last edited by Jim Fogle on 11 Aug 2019 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 12:40 pm    

I have used Sonar since version 6. I have Sonar Platinum and the Bandlab version both installed on my recording studio system. The "Cakewalk by Bandlab" version is Sonar Platinum with updates/improvements.