The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Ricky Davis...thanks
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 8:44 am    

Hi Ricky- I hope this message finds you well.

First, I'm a beginner and have very little knowledge of the pedal steel mechanisms other than what I've read or seen on youtube.

I have a Marlen S10,3P 3L Pull Release tuned to e9th and the Day set up.

I cant seem to lower my 4th string to D# as directed by engaging the LKL.

The tuning nut at the changer for the 4th string turns both ways in and out but isn't working.

Can you show me what I can do perhaps by illustration so I might try to fix this here at home.

I will gladly pay you for your time.If you don't mind, please send your contact info to glhoetker@yahoo.com

Thanks for your musical gift and all you do to help others enjoy this beast of an instrument.

God Bless.

Gary Hoetker
Bakersfield, CA

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 4:52 pm    

I'm no repair guy but it might just be the plastic tuning nut threads are striped out. I had this happen once and put some Teflon tape on the threads. Easy fix for that. Good luck.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 9:41 am    

Well Gary it is very hard to explain...as the nylon tuner for the 4th string rod is NOT what drops the E to Eb; eventhough it is the rod that moved backwards when you engage the knee that lowers. What lets it lower is the distance you have behind that finger for the collar that raises the string a whole step on pedal and raises half step on other knee. The nylon tuner on the rod is how you tune the open E note. After you raise the pedal that raises E to F#, tune that F# note at the headstock tuners....then let the pedal off and now tune the open note E on that nylon tuner; and if it just spins then either the nylon is stripped out OR the rod is not attached to collar that pushes it backwards with the knee that lowers it...so check that set screw; then the nylon that raises it a half tone has to be far enough back so you may need more distance to the stop on knee and pedal that raises ..OH and the rod that lets the finger lower has to have spring tension on it underneath...and you when you do get it moving backwards to lower...then the allen head screw at end plate is where you fine tune how far it lowers.
OK there.....how about that explaination...???ha....yes most folks are completely lost in the middle of that explain....but without me seeing it and see where everything is and how it moves or doesn't move...is next to impossible for one to explain the 10 more things that can be going on....Sorry hard truth.
I dont really work on Marlen's anymore because you just can't get parts for them.
Ricky

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 6:11 pm    

Maybe if you put up a couple pictures specifying your problem someone would chime in. I’m trying learn about Marlen setup, myself.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.