The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The top three pedal steel players of all time.
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 3:25 pm    

W. C. Edgar wrote:
This is a no brainer
You must remember that when Emmons and Day got the first Sho-Bud guitars they went from 8 string to 10 string and that the chromatic strings were on the bottom until they (Emmons and Day) moved them to the top.
That's inovation
There was no instructional material in those days like now
Without a doubt my choices are
1.Buddy Emmons the greatest steel guitarist to ever walk the earth
2.Jimmy Day (the master of touch and tone)
Thats it

W.C.,
I completely agree with you about Buddy & Jimmy...

The OP asked for the "most revolutionary pedal steel players--which I interpret (as you did) as "most innovative".

Buddy & Jimmy were pioneers creating a vocabulary and a sound that have become the essence of classic Nashville country pedal steel--and both developed their own unique and recognizable style.
I agree with your comments on both Buddy & Jimmy.

For the #3 innovation spot, I would nominate Ralph Mooney. He created the just as unique and recognizable Bakersfield style, very innovative in its own way.

I love all of the other great players who have been mentioned, but IMHO, the three innovators who have had the greatest and most lasting impact on pedal steel playing, my vote is for Buddy, Jimmy, Mooney--in that order.

- Dave

Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 11:26 am     top 3

Tommy White
Tommy White
Tommy White

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 7:24 am    

Buddy. Eugene. Emmons.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 5:59 pm     Players

1. Curley Chalker
2. Buddy
3. "Poppa" John

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 1:44 am    

Buddy cage
Buddy cage
Buddy cage
Oh and buddy cage !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 8:28 am    

apparently we should have also asked which strings are best, to go along with the best players ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 8:59 pm    

My list would certainly include the late great Wayne Owen Gailey

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 4:06 am     😀

Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 7:14 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
apparently we should have also asked which strings are best, to go along with the best players ! Very Happy

Two and four. And five.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 8:28 am    

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 6:23 pm    

All the above names share my highest estimation! I think one of the steel players that got to me more than any other player, he literally touched my 'cry box' when he played 'Beulah Land'. That's none other than Buck Grantham from Denham Springs, LA. We've had a lot of jams and countless number of steel players in our home and our bass player said that Buck was the smoothest and played with feeling more than any steel player she had heard. My hat's off to every person that endeavors to play the steel, for it truly is a fascinating, complicated, unmastered instrument! I've enjoyed learning every little 'lick and run' that I've learned! "But nobody give up trying to play the steel, no matter what level you are at"!! You paid a lot of money for that steel and all that goes with it. Enjoy it to the fullest, whether you're in a show or just in your home! I've been at it over 60 years and I enjoy the little that I play!! It's been worth the time and effort!!

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 6:24 pm    

All the above names share my highest estimation! I think one of the steel players that got to me more than any other player, he literally touched my 'cry box' when he played 'Beulah Land'. That's none other than Buck Grantham from Denham Springs, LA. We've had a lot of jams and countless number of steel players in our home and our bass player said that Buck was the smoothest and played with feeling more than any steel player she had heard. My hat's off to every person that endeavors to play the steel, for it truly is a fascinating, complicated, unmastered instrument! I've enjoyed learning every little 'lick and run' that I've learned! "But nobody give up trying to play the steel, no matter what level you are at"!! You paid a lot of money for that steel and all that goes with it. Enjoy it to the fullest, whether you're in a show or just in your home! I've been at it over 60 years and I enjoy the little that I play!! It's been worth the time and effort!!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 12:04 am    

So many great steel guitar pickers too numerous to count but if I was told I had to listen to nothing but steel guitar music everyday 24/7 for the next year and could only pick three I would say give me all the Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green and John Hughey albums you got.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 9:43 am    

In my opinion, the most accomplished player who is still active is Paul Franklin. I like how he has transformed many styles into his own thing by honoring Pete Drake, Buddy Emmons and others. And Paul continues to honor our instrument with his current educational offerings. I can't really put Buddy Emmons or Paul Franklin first on the list as they both deserve to be in the top spot. If I had to choose one other, it would be a draw between Tommy White and a few others. Let's not rank but rather enjoy the depth and devotion of those who have dedicated their professional lives to our instrument.