The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wood or Mica?
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 11:09 am    

I see some of you prefer wood, is the sound better? I am in the process of ordering a new Williams S-12, and was wondering between wood or Mica ( same price ). If the sound is better, then it is a no-brainer.
Also the old argument between keyless and keys, I am thinking keyless.

Imput please

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 11:15 am    

JMO only: I have played Williams guitars for the past 20 + years. I owned a mica D-10 and have now a lacquer D-10. If you tend to like the older sound, Lacquer is the only way to go. If you like the thinner, nasely sound, go for the mica. Mica has the advantage of being tougher (referring to bar dinks and other trauma that can occur.)

I have played keyless for the past 20 years. I never looked back and will never own another keyed guitar. As stated before, this is just my opinion.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 11:29 am    

Since you are going with a Williams, I would stick with the Lacquered body (actually it isn't lacquer. Bill has a finishing method that is soooooooo tough that finger nail polish remover will not affect it.) It is the same price as the mica and that is a DEAL!
If you aren't satisfied with the tone after you get it, you can always juggle pickups around until you find what you like.
You also have a choice of wood or metal necks. That further complicates the decision process.
I have a couple of Williams in lacquer with wood necks and Jerry Wallace's TruTone pickups. I couldn't be happier!
Erv

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 12:47 pm    

I play a Fessy now but all of my steels have been Mica. I love it you can't scratch one, and if you do you can buff it back out. I do want to try a laquer guitar though.

"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, Goodrich LDR

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 1:09 pm    

There is no such thing as better. Better is better for YOU only, in terms of sound. Everyone has their personal opinion. Yours will differ from mine. Its all what YOU like.
There are some guitars being made today that I absolutely do not like. Others swear by them.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 02 February 2006 at 01:10 PM.]

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 1:41 pm    

of course the VERY best sound comes from Black mica...

Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 2:21 pm    

Steel amps that are black in color sound best too...

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 4:42 pm    

"Mica" guitars are wood guitars with a thin layer of formica finishing over them. I've never noticed a difference in sound between the two.

I prefer the look of wood, but it's not as durable. I had Bill finish my Williams with an ebony stain so that I could get that great black tone without formica.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:42 am    

Bobby,
I also have a black ebony stained SD-10 from Bill. It looks great in black with the custom inlay of wood and pearl.
I have a couple pictures of it if someone would like to post them for me.
Erv

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:48 am    

I have one of each, and they definately sound different. The wood one has a richer, deeper tone with more midrange. The mica one has a thinner sound with more emphasis on the treble.

It should be noted that the body of the wood guitar is solid maple, carved from a single log, and the mica guitar is made from a laminate. The different types of wood is probably a factor in the different tones of the guitars.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:50 am    

I have one of each, and they definately sound different. The wood one has a richer, deeper tone with more midrange. The mica one has a thinner sound with more emphasis on the treble.

It should be noted that the body of the wood guitar is solid maple, carved from a single log, and the mica guitar is made from a laminate. The different types of wood is probably a factor in the different tones of the guitars.

Shaun Marshall

San Rafael California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:58 am    

The great thing is it's the perfect rationalization for buying another guitar, one mica and one wood... Oh yeh then theres the different kinds of wood, where's my wallet ?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 11:41 am    

I would not hesitate for a second... WOOD/LACQUER[or whatever Bill uses}.. wood guitars look much nicer, and I could be wrong, but I would bet it will fetch a little higher resale,all other things being equal..

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 12:20 pm    

It is quite simple. Front neck lacquer for a country sound and mica on the back neck for a jazz sound. Is that an oversimplification?

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 12:29 pm    

I have a mica GFI keyless and a lacquer ZB. It is like the difference between a Strat and an L5 Gibson to me. Very distinctly different tonalitites, yet I can't imagine not having either one. I love the keyless head though. DOn't think I'll ever look back from that.

As drop dead georgeous as those lacquer Willies are, I don't think I could ever own a mica one if I had the choice. They don't come much prettier than that.

Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 6:38 am    

I've just had my new Williams D-10 since the 9th of Dec., it is keyless and is in dark stained birdseye maple. Love the sound, the looks and playability of the guitar. The workmanship is as good as I have seen on any guitar. I don't think you can go wrong with the Willy keyless. "Go For It"

------------------
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, 8 & 5, Willy D-10, 8 & 8 two Peavey 112's, Profex II and Hilton Pedal.

jolynyk

Prince Albert Sask. Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 7:11 pm    

Recieved my Black Mica Willy Keyless S10 on Dec 26th.. Just got 60 hours on the strings with no breakage.. great guitar, & don't have to worry about bar dings on it, etc..
Mica is more functional for me.