The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  in case you missed it.
Jason Schofield

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 11:53 pm    

I had this on a recent thread but I don't think anyone really heard it. It's an old Dave Dudley track from "Talk of the Town" with Pete Drake I'm told. Enjoy
http://www.wowway.com/~dive25/AShortMemory.mp3

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 1:27 am    

Nice!! The song writing there sounds very Willie N. to me. And all that great steel.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 2:19 am    

I like it, thanks Jason

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 9:04 am    

Classic country done with three pedals and two knee levers. My favorite.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 9:14 pm    

Now that's what I call country music... You know the steel on the old rendition of "Pass Me By (If You're Only Passing Through)" by Johnny Rodriguez comes to mind when hearing that - similar and so sweet - what year is this recording?

Guys seriously; somebody has to keep this music alive somehow. Too bad Rascal Flatts doesn't sound like this, eh?

Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 10:43 pm    

I wonder if we will ever hear country music like that again. I have to say that is some of the most beautiful steel I have ever heard on a record. Thats what I grew up listening to when I was I was a kid, that haunting sound in the distance.

Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 2:17 am    

Jason , Thank you. This should be required listening with each Steel purchase. That walking bass and solid drum bottom really makes this tune. I'm gonna try to find that on a CD. Any suggestions?

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 1:05 pm    

Thanks Jason. Love that steel work! Actually I like everything about this piece including the arrangement itself. Btw, I searched and found that it is Floyd Cramer plinking those ivories in his amazing minimal way.

Joe

Jason Schofield

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 5:56 pm    

Hey guys, I'm so glad you love that tune as much as I do. The album is from '64 I think. Unfortunatly those old Mercury albums have no year or personnel listed.
I'm only 34 but I've loved that old school sound for many years now. I have over 50 Dave Dudley albums on vinyl. It is so sad that music like this doesn't hardley exist anymore. People want glitz and glam, sexy chicks, makeup and fireworks. The fact that they even use the term country on this modern stuff is a crime. They're embaressed by this old stuff (to much twang ect..)They're really missing out on some truly beautiful music.
Mercury has no plans to re-issue any of Dave's records on CD. I think it's a crime (but I know they wont sell and they wont spend a nickle promoting it). almost all of Dave's CDs you'll find is newly recorded material from the '90s. I've transfered most of my Dudley records to CD and have also been converting most of them to mp3. Unfortunatly most of Dave's '60s stuff doesn't have a lot of steel on it. Hal Rugg played a bit on his early '70s records on UA.
My dream is to find any live recordings by Dave Dudley. So far nill. Anyone?

Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:29 pm    

Jason, You've got me hooked on this song!I have spent all day to day and probably tomorrow to learn this steel part. Why can't they play steel like this today!!

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 8:11 am    

jason. dave's last guitar player lives about 10 miles from me. maybe he knows of something from dave's personal collection. shoot me an email and i'll give you his number.