The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuners and effects loops use
John Boyte

Lake Providence, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 5:50 pm    

Ok, need a tuner...Peterson strobstomp hd or turbo tuner? Also, using Nashville 112. Do I need to use the effects loop for reverb/delay/etc,? This is all new for me on this PSG! Thanks in advance!

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 1:32 am    

Answer to all your questions is: it depends. Really.

Any Peterson tuner (and most others) will do, but for silent tuning (on stage and/or in noisy environments) it is best connected before the Volume Pedal, or via a dedicated tuner connection on the VP itself.
- I have a Stroboplus HD, but prefer tuning with an "old-fashioned" tuning fork and well-trained ears, so the electronic tuner is hardly ever used.

Some effect units sound/work best when connected before the Volume Pedal - you may want them to go silent when you push the VP to zero, while others sound/work best after the VP or inserted in one of the amp's effect loops - you may want the effects "on" all the time.
- I prefer to have effect units on the floor connected before or after the VP, and don't use any of the amp's (NV112) effect loops for effects.

As neither effect units nor effect loops get damaged by experimentation, you can find your own setup by plugging units in and out, and adjust their performances, until it fits your taste. If you are new to this, take your time, and listen carefully for each setup variation.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 4:00 am    

Many tuners feature a mute function which when the tuner is on negates the signal allowing you to place it after the volume pedal for silent tuning. Some units may however cause distortion issues when placed in the signal path..FYI: A common problem with Peavey (and other) amps that feature effects loops; if the loops remain unused for an extended period, the contacts in the jacks may oxidize causing an interruption in the signal path which in turn results in an intermittent volume drop. Placing short jumper cables (the type used for connecting pedals together on pedal boards) into the jacks may help in avoiding this.

Example:
Front panel: 'Effects Send' to 'Effects Return' on both loops.
Rear panel: 'Pre-amp Out' to 'Power Amp In'.

May be advisable to use the headphone jack occasionally as well.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 8:16 am    

Quote from the OP: "Do I NEED to use the effects loop for reverb/delay/etc,?"

No, you don't NEED to.

Then, as Georg said, you might WANT to.
It ultimately depends upon what sounds best to you.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 1:44 pm    

So Georg, now I know that at least one other creature in our universe uses a tuning fork and ears. I am not alone! Very Happy

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 10:07 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
So Georg, now I know that at least one other creature in our universe uses a tuning fork and ears. I am not alone! Very Happy
Cool
One less gadget to blame if/when my playing doesn't sound in tune Smile