Author Topic:  Peavey auction
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 2:13 pm    

18% buyer's premium? Ouch!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 11:20 pm    

Business friendly is only good when your business is producing products desired and purchased , and at a relatively competitive price point.

PV has made exceptional products for decades but it has been in decline for many years. Before we can place blame on anything, ask yourself, how many NEW PV amps have you purchased over the last 5 or 10 years ? I can answer for me easily. ZERO The $300 dollar made in China amps such as Katana , which many ran out and purchased , then bragged about, the $349 Fender , Epiphone etc... Guitars that the markets are flooded with, at some point cause a reverse effect. We can't live in both worlds and expect the premium products to survive. We can't live in the "I love PV" world when we ran out and bought a Katana. Personally I hope the price of Chinese made guitars and amps double in the next 5 years as it would really be the only way to get back towards equilibrium. Nobody would buy a Made in China Katana for $749 new would they. Apparently in many cases we adjust our expectations to match the low price. "My Katana is not the same as xxx but for $300 its great, I can live with it " !

Just look at what Fender did, because they could. The MIM guitars hit the markets at around $300 , then those prices increased, now they are the standard at +/- $800 while the made in China Guitars have replaced that $300 price point. Everyone runs out and buys them and compares them to the USA models, saying, just as good or better. Worse, they call us USA owners Dinosaurs. The people working in the USA companies are reading these comments shaking their heads. The younger generations have been trained and very well. To me their expectations stop at under $500 for anything .

I too am guilty, but I don't buy new Chinese, I buy used USA . The only made in China Telecaster I ever bought, I gave it away. I did buy one Made in Italy amp though, and still have it.

We have multiple " The $300 Katana is great for Steel " threads, what do you think Mike Brown was thinking while reading those threads ? How many "NEW PV amp" threads have we had lately ? Other than Bill Ferguson ?

So now we are sad that PV is in trouble.

Mike Brown is an iconic man, a friend to all of us, I wish him the best .

Regarding auctions and buyers premiums, while 18% appears high, 15% is very common , try buying a car at auction ! Those premiums are set by the auction companies, as it is all RISK. They advertise and run an auction, what if nothings sells or everything sells for pennies on the $ ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2019 12:41 am    

I hate seeing this. I think Hartley tried very hard to avoid the flight to non-US production for a very long time. But in the end, IMO the insatiable desire by the consuming public for more and more "stuff" at rock-bottom prices and ridiculous unfair trade policies have made this and countless repetitions across the US a foregone conclusion for a long time now. We've been in a race to the bottom for decades now.

As far as the current manufacturing-business environment goes - IMO, stuff has been spinning out of control for 25+ years, and even the most "business-friendly" policies will take quite some time to bear real fruit. It's not even clear to me that much of the US public even cares whether anything is built here anymore. They just want their "stuff" as cheap as possible and they want it now. I mean yesterday. An awful lot of people here in the US have absolutely no idea of the practical realities of life in terms of business, manufacturing, and so on, nor any desire to know anything about it.

There is still a market for premium US-made goods. If you can find a niche and avoid the temptation to expand beyond that market, there are still people out there who will pay a premium for excellence. Old-school craftsmanship is still there. But the mainstream business culture seems hell-bent on constant growth and seems to not understand or respect the concept of "maturity" of a business or industry. So many feel constant pressure to expand, often beyond the reasonable bounds of the market. That's nothing new, of course. But these days, to really compete in that mainstream growth mentality requires enormous capital and, in the end, a willingness to join this insane race to the bottom.

If what I'm reading about Mike is true, I wish wish him the best. With all this Peavey equipment out there that will probably still be functional and being used after we're long gone, I fully expect there's a market for people like him to help keep it going.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2019 1:21 am    

well stated Dave, I couldn't agree more. Race to the bottom is exactly what we have been doing for a few decades now.

We have been watching this even in our own small business at Antique/Crafts trade shows for easily the past 10 years but mostly the last 5 . The newer generations are just not connected to anything but an IPhone. We have adjusted price points and that has worked for a while, but even those lower priced point items, artisan made , are running out of steam. How low can you go ? The bigger issue isn't actually the products but rather the newer, younger customers just are not interested. They have no connection to anything. The attendance at the trade shows is dwindling. We are running out of old people !

My wife, who is the artisan and runs the business now is pretty vocal with customers who challenge pricing on HAND MADE products, even $20 items. She now thanks them for stopping in her booth and directs them to shop at Target or Walmart. Then they take offense.

Just look at the Vintage Guitar shows, which actually aren't Vintage shows anymore, there are more people walking around selling than there are dealers selling. Watching some guy walk the room with a 1965 Les Paul Gold Top asking $10 grand is a bad dream. Theres 10 guys walking around with a Korean or Chinese made Gold Top for $249.

If someone wants to get my goat, start telling me that your Made in China guitars are better way than my made in the USA guitars. I may very well be a Dinosaur, but I know whats in my hands.

Well stated Dave.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2019 11:44 am    

Well said Tony and Dave.

It is so sad, because we live in a "throw away" society. No matter what you buy, it's cheaper to replace than repair.

I don't know how much data I have lost because of ever so cheap hard drives. It's not, if they are going to fail, it's when.
I want to buy quality, but it's almost impossible to find. Remember when a washer and dryer would last 25 years. Now you can pick them up with one hand, they are so cheaply made.

Mike Brown, Hartley Peavey and MANY others at Peavey have been my friends for so many years. Peavey has been good to me and I thank them for that. I only hope they feel the same about me.
If it weren't for Hollis Calvert (Peavey Rep many years ago), I would never have fallen into the position I did in St Louis at the ISGC. He needed help and had confidence in me. The rest is history.

I only hope that the Peavey Company survives, no matter where the product is made.

There is no doubt in my mind that Hartley Peavey has done more for steel guitarists than ANYONE. He surely deserves the credit, but sadly, in other places, I see his name slammed by some of the younger generation. They just don't know what he did for us and probably don't care.

I for one owe Peavey more gratitude than anyone I know. They have supported me and I have supported them since the early 1970's and I don't regret one minute of it. I would do it all over again.

I know that Hartley is tired and probably would just as soon be done with it and live the rest of his life stress free. But for the life of me, I don't know who would be qualified to take over the company. I just hope someone is.

The Peavey name will stay in front of people as long as YouTube survives. I have seen to that. Just look at my videos and see what is on the back line at every show. For the ISGC, Hartley would send a semi truck with equipment at no charge year after year in support of steel guitarist. Can anyone else say this? (except now Telonics is supporting steel guitar and I am thankful for that). I just hope they don't fall into the Chinese trap.

Like Tony, I would gladly pay more for quality equipment instead of being limited to JUNK.

Peavey's service department has been top notch all the way. How many companies can you call and talk to the repair tech on the phone. How many companies can you walk in off the street needing repair service and then walk out with a repaired product, in a very short time? NONE

So from me, THANK YOU PEAVEY ELECTRONICS AND EVERYONE THAT WORKS THERE. Ya'll are all in my prayers.

As far as the Kantana amp. At $300 are you going to have it repaired when it breaks or just toss it?
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 9:50 am    

Quote:
I would gladly pay more for quality equipment instead of being limited to JUNK.

So, if it's not Peavey, it's "JUNK"?

I hardly think we're limited to "JUNK" these days.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 12:29 pm    

I did not say that if it's not Peavey, it's junk. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I said that if you pay $300 for an amp and it breaks, are you going to have it repaired or just buy a new one. Repairs could be more than the cost of new by the time you figure in shipping.

Obviously there is some GREAT equipment out there in addition to Peavey. But not in the price point that people seem to want to pay these days. Like "a great steel guitar amp for under $500" Those days are gone forever I am afraid.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 7:39 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I don't want to get political as its against the forum rules, but factiry locations.wasn't all the import tariff's going to bring back US production?

This same thread is in the Electronics section.

But first of all Peavey is not going away it's just shifting factory locations. They claim shipping big boxes around the world is costly and they're right.

Many businesses and industries are not doing well.

As far as the tariffs go, that is the sign that a trade war is on which comes on the heels of a currency war wherein China's currency devalued which makes exports go up and imports go down for them. The first one to devalue currency wins the war.

Expecting the tariff ploy to bring back production in every sector is a little too optimistic.

America has been made to lag behind by many forces.

Another thing to factor in is that many of the raw materials like rare earth minerals needed to create most of the electronics used these days, China has 98% of those materials. The U.S. is not allowed to mine or import rare earth minerals. China was set up 50 years ago to be the next global manufacturer in the 21st like the U.S. was in the 20th.

Granted as has been mentioned, young kids today are distracted by other pursuits.

And with the world economy being crashed to push for globalism, and other competitors in the music gear industry, it's not easy to get everyone a spot at the watering hole.

The scenery is being changed.

Any company has to do what it needs to survive.

Speaking of Gibson. Have you all seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=9AHhKRqdtGs

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 6:44 am    

FROM PEAVEY:

Hello Ron,

Thanks for your inquiry and concern.

Peavey has always had a company culture of never throwing anything out. After 54 years it is time for a garage sale. We are not liquidating our inventory or Peavey assets.

We are selling off excess/obsolete parts, tools, and equipment to gain additional capital that will be reinvested into additional inventory to satisfy demand from our customers. There is no current, new in box inventory being sold.

The report of our death has unfortunately been grossly exaggerated.

Here is a statement from our COO:

"Peavey decided months ago to auction off outdated machines, materials, and goods that are of no use or value to ongoing concerns of the business. In doing so, this frees up a 300,000 square foot warehouse that will now become more profitable for Peavey moving forward."
-Courtland Gray, COO, Peavey Electronics

Also, all can rest assured that we have no intention of shutting down our service/repair facility.

Regards,
Roger Crimm

Peavey Customer Service

Notice
Please note that the repair shop has moved effective Feb 1, 2018 and all repairs and warranty parts should be routed to our new address:

Peavey Electronics Corp
Attn: Repair
710 A Street
Meridian, MS 39301

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 2:14 pm    

Thanks for posting that, Ron. Altho it does not address Mike Brown (no relation) nor the others who reportedly are out of a job.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 6:58 am    

I think all of the reasons given so far are valid. God knows how I've watched government intrusion (along with a heaping dose of fear of law suits) into the trucking and construction industry over the past 40 yrs.

But, I too believe the bottom line is the lack of new, young blood into the market to carry the support of the music business into the future. I never had kids of my own, but cannot think of more than one or two of my many friends children who've taken a musical talent even semi-seriously. In my generation (1980 HS grad), there were at least 20 of us from my high school alone who spent years trying to make a go of music, with varying degrees of success. And, I can think of, maybe 7 - 10 of them that are still at it today.

From my perspective, this decline in attitudes toward the sacrifices to be made to become a good musician, started back then in the 80s. When I first hit the local scene in the late 70s, I met a good many musicians who would spend the time to be dedicated to making good music, but met many times more, who would say things like " well, you're just super talented, so you can't expect other people to get it so easily". And my first thought was: "EASILY? you know, when you were out chasing girls, and drinking booze and partying and fighting, I was locked up in my bedroom for 16 hrs at a time, almost every day striving to achieve a level of proficiency that I will never reach - if I do reach it, I've quit trying. So, exactly what do you mean by easily?"

But, I would hear this time and time again, and I would tell them all that you will only be as good as your willingness to dedicate your hard work and time will allow you to be. No one wanted to hear this. It was much easier to say that I was super talented. I didn't say that to the old guys who told me what it took. I listened to them, and drudged along until I realized what they were trying to tell me.

Maybe there are too many distractions in thew modern age we live in. What we seem to be producing, can, in my humble opinion, best be described by the old axiom: jack of all trades - master of none.