Author Topic:  pedal steel on Pop Music hits
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 12:41 pm    

"Country Comfort" - Elton John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vlPgDhIzKM

"Rain, Oh Rain" - Fools Gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXzufqkdPQ0
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Last edited by Mike Bacciarini on 22 Jul 2019 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 12:42 pm    

Elkie Brooks had a hit in the UK with 'Pearl's a Singer'. John Edmed provided the steel part which was quite prominent.

I have a dim memory of Elkie being somehow related to Liverpool's Billy J. Kramer; unlike Billy J., Elkie could sing!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 12:44 pm    

Fool's Gold - was that our 'Ernest Bovine' on that record?

Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 2:36 pm    

scott murray wrote:
I still consider Anne Murray a country artist even though she crossed over.

"Anne Murray, is a Canadian singer in pop, country, and adult contemporary music whose albums have sold over 55 million copies worldwide."

"Could I Have This Dance" was Anne Murray's tenth Top 40 on the U.S. pop singles chart.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 4:10 pm    

This is going back a ways and might not be what you're looking for, but I think some of the best steel on Pop/Rock was from Pure Prairie League, especially their early stuff. To each his own, but for me, I like their early stuff better than a lot of today's country. Check out their albums Pure Prairie League, Dance, Bustin' out, Two Lane Highway, etc. Their later stuff turned to harder rock.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 5:57 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Elkie Brooks had a hit in the UK with 'Pearl's a Singer'. John Edmed provided the steel part which was quite prominent.

I have a dim memory of Elkie being somehow related to Liverpool's Billy J. Kramer; unlike Billy J., Elkie could sing!

This has nothing to do with steel on pop hit songs, but Roger, you are absolutely correct about Elkie’s vocal prowess. I first heard her when she was a member of the band Vinegar Joe, along with Robert Palmer. As well known as Robert Palmer is as a vocalist, I think Elkie was a far better singer. Check out the YouTube of Vinegar Joe and the song, “Early Monday Morning”.

Back to the discussion about steel guitar in pop songs.

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:17 am    

Kind of depends on where you draw the lines between pop, rock and country... In my eyes (or ears) K D Lang is a genre-defying singer who sometimes does a country-ish song, but she uses steel on many non-country tracks as well. Usually excellent stuff by Greg Leisz. My favorite is the slightly weird but very beautiful "Curious Soul Astray", loaded with first rate pedal steel playing.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 6:40 am    

One of the best singers that ever lived, Karen Carpenter and one of the best steel players that ever lived, Buddy Emmons. I've played this song as a steel instrumental for several years, I love the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3fExOEKdA&list=RDgk3fExOEKdA&index=1
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 9:36 am    

Fool's Gold..... found this on the ol' Internet:
Musicians on the Fools Gold album: Tom Kelly, Denny Henson, Ron Grinel, Doug Livingston, Joe Walsh, Duncan Cameron & Don Felder, Michael McDonald, J.D. Souther & Leo Sayer.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 10:29 am    

There he is, Mike. 'Ernest Bovine' is, in fact, Doug Livingston in case you were unaware.

I've told this tale before but I happened to meet Doug in the early '70s in London. We had a nice little band (me, Billy Bremner, Pete Kircher and Brian Hodgson) called Compass (later 'Fatso'). We were playing in London (the Speakeasy, maybe? I've forgotten) and Doug came and introduced himself. He was in London doing a Fool's Gold album and he offered to come the following week and play steel with us. (I had just bought my first steel so wasn't yet inflicting my efforts on the paying public.)

He was as good as his word and I remember two big Peavey amps and, I think, an MSA set up on the band-stand when we arrived. Doug's playing was stunning (it probably still is Smile ) and I had an over-the-shoulder view of a real pro steel player. I went home a chastened man that night.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 7:34 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
We had a nice little band (me, Billy Bremner, Pete Kircher and Brian Hodgson) called Compass (later 'Fatso').... the Speakeasy, maybe?

"Fatso" at the Speakeasy as I recall

Roger Rettig wrote:
.. Doug came and introduced himself... (I had just bought my first steel so wasn't yet inflicting my efforts on the paying public.)
I introduced myself because there was a ZB just sitting there and not getting played . I loved your Tele playing but I figured the band needed more steel.

Roger Rettig wrote:
I remember two big Peavey amps

One Session 400

Roger Rettig wrote:
and, I think, an MSA

MSA U-12, C6/F9

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 2:36 pm     Excuse me...

We kinda got away from the criteria re:OP...

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 5:59 am    

I feel as those some of the examples quoted here are album tracks rather than hits - there are surely any number of those, especially back in the '70s when the pop world seemed to 'discover' steel guitar (mostly because of Jerry Garcia, it must be said).

With apologies to Mr H. but to tidy a loose end - yes, my ZB was there, Doug, but it wasn't being played as our guitar player (Billy Bremner) had broken his arm and I was covering all the guitar parts. Whe I finally did hear you play I was happy I hadn't revealed my inadequacies! Whoa!

Brian C Peters

Eagan Minnesota
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 5:20 am    

I would have to say Ray Stevens version of Misty with Jay Dee would be a top contender in this category.

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 8:05 pm    

Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight" with PSG providing the astonishingly realistic sound of a skyrocket in flight. Winking

Probably doesn't qualify as a "pop hit", but Jimmy Page played PSG on Led Zeppelin's "Tangerine".

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 8:53 pm    

Stevie Wonder " I ain't gonna stand for it" with Hank Devito.
Ian Mattews " Woodstock" with Gordon Huntley

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 10:18 pm    

Dutch girl band Pussycat had a huge hit in 1977 (I think) with "Mississippi" (writen by band guitarist Werner Theunissen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYx3kmDkz9s

No idea who played steel on the original. The song was later covered by several other artists, incl. Barbara Fairchild.

Kind Regards, Walter

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 7:12 am    

Nashville Cats, Rain On The Roof, & Never Going Back by the Lovin' Spoonful.

John Sebastian, Zalman Yanovsky, and Red Rhodes, respectively.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 7:23 am    

Jack are you sure it was Red Rhodes on Never Going Back? It sounds more like Sneaky Pete to me.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 6:16 pm    

Surprised no one's mentioned Elvis' "Can't Help Falling in Love".Pete Drake,I think.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 9:30 pm    

Billy Vera and The Beaters had the soulful "At This Moment" which featured Skunk Baxter on PSG.

The #1 pop hit song became familiar to the general TV public as the theme song to "Family Ties."

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 1:58 am    

Over the pond in England, pedal steel has made its way into some big modern hits.

Robbie Williams had plenty of pedal steel, at the front of the mix, in his early 2000s music. "Eternity" went to number 1 in the UK.

A few years ago Noel Gallagher, formerly of Oasis, had some beautiful crying steel swells in his song "If I Had A Gun", although Noel Gallagher isn't really pop. He's more rock and indie. The album this was on went to number 1 in the UK albums charts. The song however didn't get into the top 40, but it did make top 100 so for a guy in his twilight years (Oasis split up included), that's a good benchmark. This was one of his first attempts in his solo career. "If I Had A Gun" did trend at number 1 in twitter rankings at one point though, just not the singles charts which let's be honest these days is filled with awful mumble rap and overly auto tuned dance music, not rock.

Hopefully his brother Liam can follow suit and incorporate pedal steel. For those who are saying pedal steel is dying, it is still alive and well with hard listening so "Stop Crying Your Heart's Out".

Keep the natural sound of the instrument and start
playing with popular rootsy, rocky music such as indie, and steel goes far. Pop of the last 7 or so years just doesn't suit steel with all the computer beats and rap. There's exceptions though.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 10:13 pm    

Buffalo Springfield--Kind Woman
Not sure who played steel.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 10:03 am    

Kind Woman was done by Rusty Young. Apparently his psg was damaged in transit from Denver to L.A. Jimmy Messina, who was engineering the album, knew that Stephen Stills had a psg in the closet. Turns out that the pedals were not what Rusty was used to, but he still hit that one out of the park. So much soul. Needless to say, Jimmy, Richie and Rusty said "This is pretty cool... let's start a band!"

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 10:29 am    

Steely Dan and Doobie Bros. both had pedal steel on some tunes...not sure which ones, or if they were even "hits" Very Happy

Skunk Baxter played with both of them I believe