The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows update?
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 9:03 am    

I have a notification that pops up informing me that I need to update and restart (altho I thought I had just done that) in order to download a version of Windows 10.

I can't take a screenshot: the notification disappears.
So I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not enabling a phishing scam....

Anyone else having this notification? It's unusual, to me.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 10:30 am    

If the notice appears on your desktop, or in the Notification Bar on the right of the monitor, it is legitimate. To be sure and safe, you can simply open the Settings panel and click on Update and Security. The top option on the left is to check for Windows Updates and list any available on the right.

As updates are downloaded, prepare to exit out of all open programs in case the PC needs to reboot to finish installing them.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 10:33 am    

As for phishing scams, those come via email, or online private messengers. Windows Update notifications display on the bottom right and in the Windows 10 Notification Panel along the right when you click on the outline of a monitor in the bottom right icons.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 12:12 pm    

OK. thank you, Wiz. I did indeed go to security and update and the notification was there. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't downloading a whole new windows...
there was something odd, but not sinister, about the wording... but settings does specify an update. So I'm cool.

For a minute there earlier, I thought I'd touched the edge of the dark web, with a big sign across that says don't go there. Unusual thing.
Ddn't want to even get close, no telling what you can pickup. Howard Hughes wouldn't like it.

You know, conspiracy theories, maybe they come thru computers while they sleep. That explains it, they're not our theries.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 12:24 pm    

I thought the notice I got read that Windows 10 wouldn't be supported after Nov. 2019. Is that right?

I did the upgrade earlier last week. It took a long time and dumped all my personalization settings. I'm still straightening out my desktop and background/screen saver settings, plus some of my other settings.

Dunno why they have to delete all of that stuff.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 5:18 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I thought the notice I got read that Windows 10 wouldn't be supported after Nov. 2019. Is that right?

I did the upgrade earlier last week. It took a long time and dumped all my personalization settings. I'm still straightening out my desktop and background/screen saver settings, plus some of my other settings.

Dunno why they have to delete all of that stuff.

Windows 10 is the current supported version of Windows. It will continue to be supported as long as one accepts Windows Updates that upgrade the version number. This is slowing down to a couple upgrades a year, with security patches coming monthly. Are you running Windows 7? Support for that OS ends in January, 2020.

If you are already running Windows 10 and get upgrade warnings, accept the fact that you need to run Windows Update and get the latest sub-version. Older versions of Windows 10 are now less secure and support is being dropped as newer, more secure versions of Windows 10 are released.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 5:24 pm    

Thanks for clearing that up Wiz. I'm running Windows 10 and I'm good with updating as necessary. It's just that I didn't understand the message correctly.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 7:34 pm    

What about Windows 8.1?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 11:58 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
What about Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 end of Extended Support is on January 10, 2023. It is already out of mainstream support since January 9, 2018.

Extended support means that the average Windows 8.1 user will only receive security updates.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 9:48 am    

This must be quite an update. I started it before 6:00 am and when I left the house for work at 7:30, it was still going.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 2:05 am    

It took a while. Something about the wording indicated it was a special update.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 11:17 am    

Feel bad I didn't see this thread earlier. Stay away from Windows 10. That update prompt is Windows' way of getting you to sign into the most problematic OS Windows has come up with. I'm sure someone is going to troll me for saying this but Windows 10 is nobody's friend and the archives have some previous outings of the whack-a-troll threads on this subject.

Windows 8, another nightmare.

The only OS is XP and 7 Professional.

Horror stories of 10 throwing away files without permission are abound.

I have professional Hollywood CGI friends who threw away computers infested with 10.

Caveat Emptor steel guys!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 11:21 pm    

Wow! That's comforting Godfrey. Whoa!

Help those of us that are not so savvy with these things to understand.

If one already has Win 10 installed, if you don't do the update doesn't that constitute some sort of security risk? Or am I misinformed?

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 2:19 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Wow! That's comforting Godfrey. Whoa!

Help those of us that are not so savvy with these things to understand.

If one already has Win 10 installed, if you don't do the update doesn't that constitute some sort of security risk? Or am I misinformed?

Jerry, Windows tries to scare the user. From what I've heard from my Hollywood CGI friend (I've never installed 10 and my update is set to no updates, I'm still at 7) is once 10 is installed, some have experienced not being able to uninstall it.

Reason some have thrown their computers away.

The "10" OS gets into everything. And things get messy and complicated.

Notice there is no "Windows 9." After the failure of 8, they decided not to release another single digit titled OS and skipped "9" and went straight to "10" to disassociate the customer from a bad experience.

What "10" tries to do is make sure anything that is not Windows/Microsoft related is deleted or it malfunctions. Windows 10 only wants to support Microsoft selected software.

There was a class action suit against Microsoft from people losing files/time for the problems with "10."

Windows is the security risk especially at "10." They've designed a more invasive OS. All their "defender" apps are designed to spy on what one does with the computer and to tweak the users' computer through constant updates. It's made to sound like a security risk if you don't update, but it's basically Microsoft using fear as a tool to get the user to allow Microsoft more access to your computer. They can already scan your computer without one knowing it.

Windows goes hand in hand with Google Chrome which is why many use browsers like Brave and Opera as Chrome monitors everything you do and has algorithms that hide search info. Brave/Opera has ad blockers so you're not constantly barraged with thousands of ads that pop up every place you go and you can choose who you want to give cookies to.

In fact Opera for one has a VPN feature that sends your use of the internet through other servers around the world so you can't be tracked as to where you are on the planet.

There was a big congressional court scene aimed at Google and its head Sundar Pichai some months ago investigating claims that Google collects all information on the user and has turned it over to foreign control.

You will find that Windows 10 has many problems and what Microsoft has done, since Gates sort of abandoned Microsoft for some time now, is they let the user try and figure out the bugs which is why there are many forums where people try and make "10" work, which isn't the way it should be. Unlike XP and 7 (XP being the better of the two) it was user friendly and the computer had less of a hard time with it. Some are still using XP. Which means hanging on to the computer that will run on XP.

What Microsoft has planned is to wean everyone off of a one time purchase of their OS and will start renting the OS out to users. Which is why it is strange when all of a sudden one receives prompts for a Windows 10 update (for free) when previously you had to buy the software at each level. We sense that this "free" update has surreptitious undertones.

The internet was handed over to foreign control (when it's an American (DARPA) invention) during the last several years. And the control is getting tighter. Reason many are fighting for the internet to remain free of restrictions.

What will happen when the internet gets faster and all the new computers run only on 10 that you buy from the stores is anyone's guess at this point. We could be looking at a very strict use of the internet.

It's already a travesty that even the computers themselves, the latest processors have built-in backdoors so certain agencies can hack into anyone's computer. It was mandated that processors are built this way.

Most of the people I know, tape over the built-in camera (laptops) because we are being watched and the mics set to "off." The camera can't see through tape, but whether the mic is really "off" is another question.

I know this sounds like 1984 because it is Orwell's portent we are living through.

This same camera/mic eavesdropping is going on with one's smartphone.

But basically, any updates that Windows asks for, many know to ignore it and set their computers to "don't update" or "ask first before updating."

If your computer is running fine, don't update just because you are being prompted to.

Yet there is still Windows being sneaky and even if you make custom settings, they find ways around it such as this "Windows 10 update." They are banking on you trusting them explicitly to do whatever they ask. You have to be on the alert and don't click anything off the bat without investigating and thinking things through.

If you have files you want to protect, back them up, don't leave it to Windows to be "there" for your files, especially if you're dealing with Windows 10.

And if you're using a "cloud" back up your files yourself also as a precaution. Don't assume the cloud is going to be there come hell or high water.

There are those who suggest that one should have more than one computer. One exposed to the internet, and one not, where you can keep your personal data/files safe from the internet on one and use the other for internet.

Also if you're fond of using WIFI, your computer is easier to be scanned.

There is a device called CelleBrite UFED. Cops use this device to scan your smartphone of all images and videos within minutes. And this was back in 2011.

According to CelleBrite:
The high-tech device works with 3000 different phone models and can bypass passwords to process “Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags.”

What do they have now? And will we be aware of them in time?

Hope this helps guys.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 3:51 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
I know this sounds like 1984 because it is Orwell's portent we are living through.
True. Security and privacy are mere illusions.
However, unless one chooses to "jump ship" and eliminate all electronic channels, there aren't all that many options. Avoiding OS-upgrades altogether doesn't really solve anything for very long if one wants to stay connected.

I don't like the situation – and I don't like win10, but I run that OS now and upgrade it as needed. I use browsers with optimal protection, and rely on ESET antivirus and various anti-advare to "plug holes". At some point one has to say it is "good enough" and live with the weaknesses.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 9:27 am    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
and I don't like win10, but I run that OS now and upgrade it as needed.

Hi Georg.

I would add that if one's computer started off life with 10 then it may not run on 7 or XP not without some difficult installation.

It appeared to me, that years back, all the upgrades did was render the computer slower, forcing an upgrade and a purchase of a "faster" computer. Sometimes breaking the computer and making it difficult to retrieve files still on the drives.

Truth be told when using something other than Windows, like Linux, a basic computer runs faster, boots faster and is calm.

So you can see it's not the computer, it's the OS.

What I tend to do is keep the computer at the OS it was designed for as upgrading will just Peter Principle the computer and since 10 is so ornery, once it's on there, one may have a hard time reverting, crippling the computer.

I would rather keep the computer within its initial OS and keep it operable rather than maim it from upgrades. The word "upgrade" in OS is not really there for what it appears.

It's the gingerbread house in Hansel and Gretel.

A non-upgraded cpu can still be used for basic storage, file keeping etc., and surfing many basic sites.

Surfing the net, and it is being changed, is not the only thing we need to be up on and if you notice, it's what these updates are trying to get us to sign on to so we can be monitored and herded onto the next phase. And there will come a time when the older technology will be worth their weight because they will not be prey to what's coming down the line.

Hence having more than one computer is a good idea, to have a backup system. One older, one newer and the two never connect to each other.

It's the putting eggs in one basket scenario.

Soon all computers connected to the net will just be portals, terminals, nothing like what we have now, everything will be in a cloud and it will all be totally dependent on the server and cloud systems. It will not have much of a brain as the brains will be stationed online, not in the computer.

Search engines like Dragonfly are being developed by Google overseas to control population.

They will try and implement Dragonfly in Conus.

This is what Sundar Pichai was asked about at that congressional hearing.

https://www.fortune.com/2018/10/16/google-sundar-pichai-dragonfly-china-search-censorship/

https://www.techspot.com/news/77813-google-ceo-evasive-when-asked-about-dragonfly-congress.html

I post the above with hesitation, to not step into "political" issues for forum codes but where it concerns the use of computers, I feel we need to be aware of what computers are doing in our lives, as the CEO's of the tech giants out of silicon valley are hoping we stay asleep.

Buying and using a computer is not like buying a musical instrument, where the maker is hoping we will create beautiful music. We don't see Fender being called to congress to investigate how their Twin Amp is spying on us because they've installed a camera and a mic. Not yet and never, we hope.

You notice that even now, things like an iPad (Apple/Mac) have little external connectivity.

Signing onto the internet will be tighter than it is today as we acquiesce to where the system is heading and the way it's being set up.

While they may still be around, get an older unsullied computer and keep that pristine from upgrades if you have one that was upgraded. Have a backup.

The more we are informed about such matters, the better choices we can make. We live in interesting times.

Glean from this what you want and can use.

My 02 cents.

May the blessings be.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 10:40 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Hence having more than one computer is a good idea, to have a backup system. One older, one newer and the two never connect to each other.

I have a dozen or so – various OSes, most of which never get online or get connected to those that do. Important data are not kept on computers.

Being a little paranoid most certainly doesn't hurt. And backing it up with knowledge about the subjects at hand helps making the right, or rather best, choices.

Thing is: we still have to communicate electronically, and can only make it somewhat safe no matter what we do.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 12:36 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:

I have a dozen or so – various OSes, most of which never get online or get connected to those that do. Important data are not kept on computers.

Being a little paranoid most certainly doesn't hurt. And backing it up with knowledge about the subjects at hand helps making the right, or rather best, choices.

Thing is: we still have to communicate electronically, and can only make it somewhat safe no matter what we do.

Yup that's the way to do it!

I agree we've been acclimatized to rely on the devices.

But we can still communicate without jumping all in and snapping at something wriggling, spinning and shining like a Popeil magic lure. Fish have been around for millions of years and their genetic memories never help them out in some areas like when a line is dropped in the water.

As the Nirvana song Territorial Pissings said, quoting Heller: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."

We might want to look at the technology combined with censorship on social media.

You get banned off of FB for saying something they don't like. Same for Twitter, Instagram.

Youtube, since they've made a deal with UMG, are blocking covers of songs. So you might put up a video of someone's song, and the audio is taken out leaving just a video, or they take the video down.

Funny videos by Rick Beato feature cover songs where he's demonstrating music theory and he has to bend the melodies out of tune so his video doesn't get banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxYTl2d7xg

There are those though that are trying to create OS that does not do what Windows wants to do but it takes much effort and funds. We also have to consider that Windows is a DARPA thrust, placed in the hands of Gates to appear like he's the brainchild. He's not. The internet and the Windows format existed decades before Gates was involved, it was a military communication system and they have regretted opening Pandora's Box of allowing the public access which is why they are trying to gain control of it again.

For today, platforms like Bitchute, Steemit, Dtube are allowing people to communicate without the censorship.

But the internet grid still has to remain for these platforms to work.

So along with knowing what technology is trying to do and that the media itself is wanting to be controlled, the more we realize what's going on.

Many are getting into HAM and those older systems. Cellphones are old technology anyway, it's just radio frequencies.

But take note, this inexpensive HAM radio (below) has all type frequencies in one unit, and come this September, it will be banned for sale in the U.S. So you might want to avail of them while the guillotine has not fallen.

And unlike a smartphone, they can't GPS yo'a$$ to know where you are. Doesn't need a cell tower and if the net goes down, it will be the only thing we'll have to communicate with other than smoke signals as long as you have a crank generator to charge them.

I've got three of these.

I know, it's complicated. Oh Well

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 1:20 pm    

I haven't had any trouble with Win 10 since I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 1:22 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
I haven't had any trouble with Win 10 since I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
Laughing

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 4:05 pm    

I hate windows 10! Every update screws up my sound card, and or some of my music programs like BIAB.. It always take me a few days to recover from the stinking updates.

I have an older windows computer that I have never updated, and I usually have to go back to using it while my newer windows 10 laptop is screwed up...

Just my two cents

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 4:31 pm    

Dom Franco wrote:
I hate windows 10! Every update screws up my sound card, and or some of my music programs like BIAB.. It always take me a few days to recover from the stinking updates.

I have an older windows computer that I have never updated, and I usually have to go back to using it while my newer windows 10 laptop is screwed up...

Just my two cents

Dom, from the pulpit!