The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  shock absorber springs
Mickey Lawson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 10:14 pm    

Does anyone know why push/pull Emmons have shock absorber springs, and all-pull Legrands do not?? Thanks.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 11:01 pm    

Mickey, the push pull guitar pulls the strings to a fixed stop. It is impossible to set the guitar up so that say two strings can be pulled at the same time by one pull train and have them finish against the the stop at the same time. It actually would be possible to do this if string gauges, temperature and other variables did not exist but since they do, I use the word impossible. The pullrod with the spring hits the stop first then the shock spring allows slightly additional travel so the other string can be pulled to the stop. Same with multiple strings being pushed to a stop against the lowering tunings screws. The all pull starts the pull from a fixed stop and pulls until the cross rod hits a stop and the strings being pulled are in a sense suspended in mid air. They do not come to a stop against the body of the guitar. That is why some builders have altered their changer to have the fingers contact the body. Otherwise the raise fingers on an all pull are not pulled against a stop. I think I did a poor job of explaining but maybe some of it makes sense to you.
Jerry

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 12:11 pm    

It's cheaper to use springs than to make an adjustable collar, even though the springs add 'mushiness' to the pedal/lever feel.

I've put adjustable collars on my push-pull, they make set-up a snip, and greatly enhance the playing experience.

[This message was edited by richard burton on 03 February 2006 at 12:20 PM.]

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 12:39 pm    

Wish somebody would make bellcranks with at least three holes for the push pulls. Seems that would improve the mechanical efficiency, and do away with the need for the springs. It's a pretty obvious solution for balancing the pulls, and the pushes too. Somebody has surely experimented with it. Perhaps I'm overlooking something...Jerry

Mickey Lawson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 8:34 pm    

Thanks everyone....Jerry, I can now, see why the push/pull needed shock springs. And, from what you said then, the adjustment of the nylon hex nut is used to control the amount of each strings pull--so they bottom out at the same time (in tune). (Just seems like the springs would allow you to bounce the pedals, without damaging the guitar.) Thanks again.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 9:43 pm    

Mickey, on a push pull, the changer fingers are individually pulled against the body which serves as the stop and the cross bar also has a stop which is adjusted so the cross bar stops at the same time the changer fingers stop so as to avoid damage to the changer fingers. The all pull such as LeGrande only has a stop on the cross bar so the changer fingers are not hitting a stop, they pull until the cross bar stops and you adjust the travel on each finger with the nylon tuners. A properly adjusted push pull does not put undue pressure on the changer fingers, otherwise it is possible to break them off.
Jerry