The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Interest in 14 String Course on Julian Tharp
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2006 7:25 pm    

Hey guys, I've been working on Zane Beck's Tuning and a course well under way. Just curious are there any of you that would be interested in Learning Julian Tharps tuning and possibly buying a 14 string if I wrote a detailed course covering the tuning? I've had a few request but I wanted more feed back from you guys. If you are interested would you please reply to this thread or email me. If I get at least 10 request I'll start the project.

Mike Randolph

Cook Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 5:22 pm    

Dan,I met Julian in Birmingham in 1975. He totaly blew me away! How avaible are 14 strings?

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 5:51 pm    

Dan-I think you might be able to get most of Julian's stuff on a 12 string....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2006 6:27 pm    

Mike,
14 Strings are readly available from several vendors. Ed Packard has several, Sierra, BMI and Kline.
Al, you are right about Julian's tuning. My main purpose of potentially doing this was preserve Julian's tuning and explore it's possiblities.
I currently play Zane Beck's tuning with only one change, I reversed my knees back to the way Zane originally had his. My reason was because I have had knee surgery and I have problems with having to hold the RL in to play E9 on the Beck tuning. It is easier on my knee to do RR.
It's funny Al you mention that, Zane Beck told Julian Tharp the exact same thing. In fact Zane asked Julian while building Julian's last BMI why he had so many knee's when he didn't use half of them, and Julian's reply was, "Because I can." Another tidbit of information, Julian specified that his fretboard was to be 1/4 off. This info came from Don Fritche. Julian had a unique approach that only his tuning, I believe would allow us to try to figure out how he was thinking. Now there were a lot of guys that tried to play like Julian, but the closest "to my knowledge" is Cowboy Eddie Long. If you get a chance, listen to Eddie's last album, you will hear Julian Tharp's influence all through the album.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 9:34 am    

Dan-I understand what you mean. I was trying to let the guys know that didn't have 14 strings , that they can still play a lot of Julian's stuff, but it takes a lot of practice.
Zane Beck was a great innovater, he did so many things, his tuning was really "Lean and Mean"....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/