The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  70s Fender PA?
Jeffrey Shu

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 5:36 am    

Can anyone tell me what this might be? The picture glare is such that I can't quite make out the master controls, but assume there's not onboard reverb. Otherwise, as a 100w amp, would this function anywhere near a Twin head?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fender-PA100-PA-Head-Like-Twin-Reverb-1970s-USA-Made-100-Watt-/392326605072

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 5:51 am    

Jeffrey, I have one of these and it has the same setup as a Twin. It's like 4 channels of Twin but no Mid control. Kind of like a Deluxe on steroids. It does have reverb but you have to find a happy medium for all four channels. I can only turn the reverb up to 3.5 before it starts talking back. I also have the two columms that came with it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 5:52 am    

For all intents and purposes, it is a Twin head. Good clean tube power, but with no mid-range tone controls. That limits what tones you can get, but an outboard EQ pedal would cover that shortcoming. Or...you could add mid controls fairly easily, and not have to worry about screwing up something valuable like a real Twin.

Jeffrey Shu

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 6:04 am    

Craig A Davidson wrote:
It does have reverb but you have to find a happy medium for all four channels.

Craig,
Would I have to utilize multiple channels to match a Twin's power, or do you mean if used as a true multi-channel PA? I'm sure I'm revealing the vast chasm that is my ignorance of electronics Smile, so hopefully there's no such thing as a bad question.

And Donny, I assumed the upper of the 3 knobs was mid - glare makes it hard to see. So that's a channel specific reverb then?

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 6:40 am    

So are you just curious as to its design, or are you actually thinking about buying it?

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 6:49 am    

The tone circuit is totally different than a Fender guitar amp, so that would have to be modified for use with pedal steel or guitar.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:04 am    

Jeffrey Shu wrote:

And Donny, I assumed the upper of the 3 knobs was mid - glare makes it hard to see. So that's a channel specific reverb then?

Each channel has a volume, bass and treble. There's only a master reverb so the reverb level is the same for all four channels. Each channel mixes into the 100 Watt power stage so no need to combine channels for the full output. If you do a forum search for Fender PA 100 you'll find some useful comments. I think they also made a 135 Watt version.

Jeffrey Shu

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:08 am    

ajm wrote:
So are you just curious as to its design, or are you actually thinking about buying it?

Considering buying. But it's gotta work! And I'm definitely not handy with a soldering gun.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:09 am    

As Michael states, the tone circuit is different than the Twin or Dual Showman Reverb. But I know guys who have used them as-is, and it's not hard to mod one or two channels to a more standard Deluxe Reverb type of tone stack, leaving a channel or two for other things - e.g., vocals or acoustic guitar. IMO, these are good platforms for modding.

The top knob is a channel volume with a pull function to activate reverb on that channel. As Craig alludes to, the reverb level is set by the Master Reverb level next to the Master Volume. Again, some simple mods could give different relative reverb levels by channel.

Here's a reverb.com ad for the same model that looks to me to be in better shape, and also note the more detailed pictures - https://reverb.com/item/26245266-vintage-1970-s-fender-pa-100-all-tube-head-usa-made

There are a bunch of these out there; they also made an ultralinear PA 135 version. I prefer the 100-watt non-ultralinear circuit, especially for double-duty with guitar. But I think they're both good for pedal steel if the price is right.

Previous threads -

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=339653

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264878

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/008844.html

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=258679

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329136

and there are more if you search.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 11:35 am    

Someone in Lodi, Ca has the 135 watt version of this head for sale on Craigslist for $250. I have no need for another such head or I'd be following up on this.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 1:42 pm    

They are ungodly heavy. The tone stack is odd.. I had a few of them over the years, and they are a good Fender tube amp, but for my ears they don't sound quite aas good as the showman amps as they sit without mods.. I think its just the way the tone circuit is wired.. Any amp tech could add a mid control, and wire the tone circuit like a Showman, and then thats what you would have,, They tend to run 1/2 the price of a showman or even less, so they are well priced for a fender tube head with reverb!... best bet?.. Buy one cheap, use a good EQ and you're done... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 6:41 pm    

I have the PA-100 and the PA-135 and I would never sell them. They are great platform amps with a lush Reverb. You can be creative with an EQ pedal to further shape the tone.
These Fender PA amps sell for less than some guitar pedals. Really a hidden gem. Also, since it was marketed as a PA, most likely they weren’t gigged hard or abused.