The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

I am a Music Store, Pawn Shop, Yard Sale Junkie
I only go to a music store when I need something quick.
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
I occasionally browse, looking for bargains
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
My wife won't let me go in....
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I love to go to check out music stores when I travel
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 29

Author Topic:  Music Stores Love em or hate em?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:39 am    

I used to go to every music store I could find as I traveled, always looking, searching for a guitar, effect, amp or anything I might find that was a "great deal" or "something I always wanted"

Now I rarely darken the door of a "Guitar Center" or mom & pop music store. I mostly buy online if I want something.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:53 am    

Yeah, they don't have quite the allure that they did when I was a teenager. Part of it is the changing character of music stores. Part of it is the wider range of online product. Most of it is just me. I've already seen and tried most of the stuff that I used to drool over and I have too much stuff anyway.
There's a mom & pop guitar store within walking distance of my house. I typically try them before I buy something online just because I want them to stay in business. I'm usually willing to pay 10% or even 20% more for the personal service.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 8:11 am    

Sometimes when I'm traveling I find a music store that I can spend hours in. It's rare, but I really enjoy it.

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 8:20 am    

i'm with you. perhaps it is because i really don't need anything more but if i do, i usually purchase online. i've purchased an amp and then a lap steel from this site.

now and then i'll drop by a pawn shop but never find anything that isn't trashed or too high price for what it is.

we need another choice for the poll: i don't meet those qualifications and i don't go to the store(s) at all.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 8:59 am     Surprise

I will go into any and all I run across, because you never know what's inside.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 9:43 am    

Here is a previous discussion:

Click Here

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 8:50 am    

I had about an hour to kill before my gig last week and I happened to be near a Guitar Center. So I grabbed a medium sized bar from my bag and went inside.

They only had one steel guitar in the store, a little 6 string Recording King for $199.00. It was hopelessly out of tune, strings were all loose... because they were very light gauge. I quickly tuned it up to A6th. C#, E, F#, A, C#, E and plugged it in.

I started playing licks, slides and blues riffs (I am a big showoff) and then I played a sweet solo arrangement of "Crazy" that I have mastered after years of playing it. There were several other guitarists listening... some were annoyed but most were truly impressed. One guy said had always wanted to play "SLIDE" but never did. I quickly whipped out a business card and said I give lessons. He asked if I was local and I said yes...

I love doing this whenever I find a steel guitar for sale some place. So I always bring a bar with me. (I don't bother with fingerpicks for these improptu demonstrations)

Dom the Ham

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 10:06 am    

I'll always go into a music store when I travel.. I try to support "mom and pop" stores whenever I can (not just with music purchases). I've met some really interesting folks this way.. also found some great deals on lap steels.. Pro Tip: Always ask them if they have any steels.. on many occasions they had one or two not on display because they really didn't know how to play/tune/display it.

Most are happy to hear a steel guitar played. I imagine it's a nice break from hearing the same guitar tunes played over and over...