The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Supply For Hilton Standard Volume Pedal
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:26 pm    

What particular brand name power supplies are used for a Hilton Standard Volume Pedal?

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 11 Jul 2019 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 2:13 am    

Which voltage requirement version? There are several different ones.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 6:30 am    

Mine is a Phihong PSAA20R - 240

INPUT: AC100 - 240V 50-60HZ 0.5A
OUTPUT: DC24V. O.5A

I believe I got mine at Parts Express. I have had 2 go bad, both on outside gigs, strangely at the same place a year apart.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 11:06 am    

I saw a steel player in Nashville last month powering his with a standard 1-spot. I haven’t tried it but it would make life easier for sure. Maybe Keith can weigh in on this subject. Love my Hilton!

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 4:43 am    

Negative tip 9 volt power supply, matches most guitar effect voltages. With a hookup cord from your pedal-board manufacturer, you can power the guitar pedal direct without using Hilton's power transformer. The "regular" Hilton pedal requires a 24v (positive tip) power supply.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 6:35 am    

Gary Watkins wrote:
Negative tip 9 volt power supply, matches most guitar effect voltages. With a hookup cord from your pedal-board manufacturer, you can power the guitar pedal direct without using Hilton's power transformer. The "regular" Hilton pedal requires a 24v (positive tip) power supply.

How do you do that?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 7:00 am    

The "Pro Guitar" is made for 6 string players. It is designed to use the "standard" 9VDC.

But the Pedal Steel models use other voltages and there are several different voltages used. I think the early "plug in" power supplies were 12VDC. Later/current model uses 24VDC as Richard notes.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 12:18 pm    

Ahh... Jack... That makes sense. He was asking about a standard pedal and not the Pro Guitar.

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 7:30 am    

The power supply that comes with the pedal is not relieable. I have had three of them gone bad, two on live gigs 😬. I now carry one extra just in case. Anyone know of a better power supply for this great pedal, let me know.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 7:43 am    

That's a shame. I have two, one for my Hilton and one for my Telonics (when I'm not running it off the amp) with no problems. But with Chinese quality control I guess it's down to luck.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 1:27 pm    

Tore Blestrud wrote:
The power supply that comes with the pedal is not relieable. I have had three of them gone bad, two on live gigs 😬. I now carry one extra just in case. Anyone know of a better power supply for this great pedal, let me know.

I've had 2 go bad. Ironically, both at the same outdoor venue, exactly (more or less) a year apart. Since I sold my backup volume pedal, I need to carry a spare. Have to order one.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 4:22 pm    

Power supply was the reason for me to go back to Goodrich ?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 10:50 pm    

I bought 2 power supplies when I bought mine. The tiny frail cord is a little concerning. It would be nice to find a more heavy duty one.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 3:32 am    

I'm a "no-body" in the music world, but anytime that I have had a problem, which is far and few , I've contacted Keith Hilton, and he took care of it for me.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 4:18 am    

Bobby Nelson wrote:
I bought 2 power supplies when I bought mine. The tiny frail cord is a little concerning. It would be nice to find a more heavy duty one.

I've never had an issue with the cord. And I have even tripped over it several times.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:38 am    

Quote:
I've never had an issue with the cord. And I have even tripped over it several times.

That's good to hear Richard. It's not really an issue for me yet because I don't play out yet. I tend to think like I was on the road, and built my rig accordingly with all bases covered as if I was going to be doing 3 or 4 nights a week. This may be over-thinking it a little, as I seriously doubt I'll ever gig like that again haha.