The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try the newest Peterson StroboStomp HD Pedal Tuner?
John Norris

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:20 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Perhaps if demand is high enough Peterson will consider modifying the firmware to add the capability of changing presets via a bypass button sequence.

No need, the capability is already in the tuner as a hidden feature Smile .
I'll write up an explanation.

Donn Lewis

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:28 pm    

John Norris wrote:
Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Perhaps if demand is high enough Peterson will consider modifying the firmware to add the capability of changing presets via a bypass button sequence.

Please do, John! Mine is on order and this would be a very useful feature while tuning the pedals/levers....

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 3:46 pm    

Thanks John!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 5:28 pm    

I had a Sweetwater gift card from my kids for Father's Day so I ordered one. Seems like it has a bug..works fine when I plug in to power up, as soon as I hit mute the screen goes dark. Waiting to hear back from Sweetwater about a return.
Neat tuner though, great display.
Funny thing, I normally tune by ear, and before I tried it I took an E note off of my phone app and tuned as I normally do, then checked it on the Peterson. It was almost dead on for the Emmons presets..

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 5:56 pm    

The tuner will go dark when you exit mute by stepping on the pushbutton in either TB or BB mode as the tuner is supposed to shut off in those modes. In MN mode the tuner will stay on in both MUTE and non-mute positions. The 3 position switch in the battery box selects these modes and all three modes are well thought out and useful. This gives you the option of having the tuner active or dark when the signal out is active (not muted). This is well covered in the user manual. The default switch position is the MONITOR mode but perhaps yours got changed. Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 6:18 pm    

Thanks Greg, I guess I missed that in the manual. I didn't go into the battery compartment so I don't know anything about a switch but I'll check it tomorrow. Funny thing is it didn't do it for the first two days I had, it would stay all the time wether I hit the mute or not.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 7:58 am    

Spoke w/ Peterson today. Great customer service. Screen should not be going black in monitor mode. They're sending a new one out..

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 8:55 am    

Glad to hear you got it resolved!

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 7:10 pm     Strobostomp HD Manual

I am a fan of the StroboStomps. I have acquired each one as Peterson produced them. I was using a Stomp Classic when the HD was announced and I immediately preordered one. I remember having to program the offsets manually to get a sweetened tuning for the U12 On the original Stomp. As promoted the HD is ready to use right out-of-the-box.

I consider myself a compulsive manual reader, but I met my match with the provided manual. I could not manage the interface to show only my tunings. I then discovered a link with the manual read and displayed on YouTube video.

This solved all my problems and I look forward to John Norris revealing the hidden feature.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyNMLF9AmiyXJ1JWgMIq1XXaih4AWCE9_

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 2:26 pm    

Just ordered one. I currently have the Peterson VSII , Clip tuner and the Flip tuner. Im sold on their products. All work excellent , never had a problem with these tuners.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 4:45 am    

Received my replacement tuner in just two days. Amazing customer service by Peterson.
Works exactly as it should.
Now I have a new issue… Went to mount it on my pedalboard, and the rubberized backing on the tuner is so slick it won't allow the Velcro to stick to it. Only options I can think of is either too use something like gorilla glue to glue the Velcro pads on the back of the tuner, or use a strap tie which would have to run the length of the display screen. Neither option is appealing to me. Anybody else have this experiences or have any solutions?
Beginning to think I'm just not meant for a fancy tuner…

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 5:22 am     Velcro

All Velcro is not created equal. This sticks like cheap toilet paper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3R9S1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Give it a try.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 5:29 am    

Thanks Jon. I am using the industrial strength Velcro, but the problem is not the Velcro itself but the sticky adhesive that has to go on the back of the tuner… It's just not adhering to the rubberized backing of the Peterson. The Velcro is sticking to itself just fine, just not to the tuner. Plus the tuner is very heavy.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 7:14 am    

I guess I could remove the rubber backing, but, geez..it's a brand new tuner and it doesn't seem right tearing it apart...

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 12:05 am    

John Norris wrote:
Greg Cutshaw wrote:

Soon please, I’m mounting on pedal board and if you can’t toggle quickly (using the foot switch and not the small buttons on the side) between e9 and c6 it’s kinda of a show stopper, using it to save set up time as it can be powered by 9 volt pedal supply on my pedal board and not have to attach the leg holder and screw on the HD Peterson strobe

John Norris

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 7:50 am    

Sorry about the delay in explaining this, but demand for the StroboStomp HD is keeping us very busy Very Happy !

To clarify, the following hidden feature allows you to remotely change the active Sweetened Tunings on the StroboStomp HD pedal tuner without having to bend down to the floor and press buttons.

First of all, no computer is needed because the tuner does not require any update to avail of this feature, it's present (but well hidden) in every StroboStomp HD made.
To do this, we'll be using the upper two buttons on the left and right side of the tuner (the buttons marked ʌ and +).

How to Activate the "Sweetener Bump" capability:

1. First, plug a 1/4" instrument cable into the StroboStomp HD to switch it on.

2. Press the upper ʌ Menu button on the left twice - you'll see the Gear icon flashing.

3. While the Gear icon is flashing, press the + button on the right once.

4. Press the upper ʌ Menu button twice - you'll see "Hardware" flashing at the bottom of the screen.

5. While "Hardware" is flashing, press and hold both the upper ʌ Menu button on the left and the + button on the right at the same time and release them.

6. You'll see a small + appear on the middle of the screen, you've now activated the remote "Sweetener Bump" capability. From now on, it can be turned On or Off as needed.

Having done the above, here's how to turn the "Sweetener Bump" option On or Off:

1. First, plug a 1/4" instrument cable into the StroboStomp HD to switch it on.

2. Press the upper ʌ Menu button on the left twice - you'll see the Gear icon flashing.

3. While the Gear icon is flashing, press the + button on the right once.

4. Press the upper ʌ Menu button four times - you should see a large P on the screen with "OFF" flashing to the upper right of the P.

5. While the P is flashing, press the + button on the right once to turn on the "Sweetener Bump" feature (to turn it off, press the - button on the right once).

The Sweetener Bump in action -
Here's how to use the "Sweetener Bump" feature:

I. Press and hold down the stomp switch with your foot.

II. While the stomp switch is held down with your foot, mute the strings with your left hand while you tap a string or a pickup once with your right, the Sweetener will change or "Bump" to the next one on your active list (e.g. SE9 to SC6).

III. Take your foot off the stomp switch when the desired Sweetener is displayed on the screen.

For best results:

1. Turn off all Sweeteners that you don't need.

2. Select a different color for each active Sweetener so that a cursory glance can confirm that the Sweetener has changed.

3. Ensure that the tuner is getting signal, otherwise it won't "hear you knockin'" Smile

4. Remember that one tap is enough to bump to the next Sweetener, two taps advances by two Sweeteners and so on.

We hope you enjoy the StroboStomp HD tuner ! Very Happy

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 11:29 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
I guess I could remove the rubber backing, but, geez..it's a brand new tuner and it doesn't seem right tearing it apart...

I cut the Velcro longer so it goes up each side a bit, the adhesive will stick to the bare metal on the side and will keep it secured enough.. I hope

Donn Lewis

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 5:29 am    

Well that worked perfectly! Thanks John. Very clever!

Donn

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 5:42 am    

Wow! A new input selection method could be devised. Next each note of the scale along with a number of audio taps can be in input matrix. 12 notes x 1,2,3 or 4 taps = 48 instant selection possibilities.

Thanks John!

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 6:01 am    

You might be on to something there, George

John Norris

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 1:49 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Wow! A new input selection method could be devised. Next each note of the scale along with a number of audio taps can be in input matrix. 12 notes x 1,2,3 or 4 taps = 48 instant selection possibilities.

Thanks John!

Glad you like this feature, Greg. We figured it would go down well with steel players Very Happy .
What else would you see as a useful parameter to Bump on the tuner?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 3:49 pm    

I’m real happy with it now on the floor and it has all the features I can envision needing for my use!

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 9 Aug 2019 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 3:20 pm    

SO I'm just going to jump on here to say GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE from Peterson. I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this pedal cause like a lot of you I use my Stomp a good 200 times a year.. POPLESS was a big selling point!

I got my tuner and it is Great! I'm stoked! then it just stopped working on the battery... would work plugged in... i did some troubleshoot... got hold of customer support and BOOM no questions asked they shipped out another one.. got here today just in time for my gig tonight! Sent a RA and I just popped this one in the box and got my new one.. went on the website interface.. but the tuning back in..

BINGO ready to go!

Great job on a pedal and GREAT customer service guys! I recommend your tuners to ALL my students on basically any instrument.. here is another reason to talk you all up!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 3:22 pm    

and i did turn on the "bump" and will try it tonight... although usually the regular tuning on the stomp were fine for both pedaled notes and non... (with a bit of futzing with harmonics on the 4th string F# but b0b gave me a great technique for that)

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 12:06 am    

didn't use the "bump" tonight as truthfully i've never had a huge trouble with the pedal changes being hard to change off of the one setting.. but when i have a bit of time i will definitly dive in more!

but first gig with the new stomp HD and it did GREAT.. I LOVE the display and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the NO POPPING with it.

SO many times I've sat there timing my tuner bypass with the snap of the snare.. no longer!!