The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  History of the ShoBud street sign
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 1:02 pm    

Some of this history has been covered before but thought I would add to it. Corrections welcomed.

Kendle Music Company, a long time Nashville music store, operated in downtown Nashville for a couple of decades before ending up at 810 Church St.

In November 1957 Hank Snow purchased Kendle Music and renamed it Hank Snow Music Center.

In the process of expanding the business, a new sign was purchased that would eventually become the ShoBud sign we see on Broadway.

Meanwhile, Shot opened a retail music store at 416 Broadway in '64 and utilized the sign that Johnny Cox has been in possession of for a few years.

According to newspaper articles, Snow closed his Music Center store in February 1967 due to a heavy touring schedule. I suppose that’s when Shot purchased the sign we now see on Broadway.

A couple of Lower Broadway images from the 70’s. Pretty rough back then.

The ShoBud sign was changed to Shot Jackson’s Guitar Repair Center some time after ShoBud sold to Gretsch in the late 70’s.

After Shot closed the Broadway store Lynn's Liquors took over 416 Broadway till about 1990. Barely visible in the image below is the red Lynn's Liquors sign with a tilted bottle where the guitar would have been. According to Frank Parish, the ShoBud sign may have been boarded over.

The first Robert's sign.

The second Robert’s sign.

And the current Robert's sign which according to Frank Parish is a complete different sign. The guitar even looks different.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 2:09 pm     Love This!!

Thanks, Jerry! Cool

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 5:17 pm    

Thank you for the wonderful history, Jerry. Do you happen to know where the Hank Snow shop was?

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 6:45 pm    

The Hank Snow Music Center was in the 8th block of Church St. That's approximately where the old Nashville Gas building is located...across from the old Varallo's. Apparently that was quite a music hub in the 50's with the Castle Studio located in the Tulane Hotel right across the street. I had a shop a few feet from that area and was never aware of that history.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 9:35 pm    

I took this picture in 1973 using a 126 film camera. It was taken on a dreary day, and it didn't come out very well. Fast forward to the late nineties, I got into computers and messing with photo editing programs. I just went nuts on the contrast and increased the brightness until it developed a softer watercolor type look. I liked it so much I reversed it and printed on iron-on transfer paper and made me some t-shirts.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 5:47 am    

Can I buy a t-shirt, Kenny?

In any case, thank you for the photo.