The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Resources in Tucson?
Warren Allen

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 6:18 am    

Hi,

Rank beginner in Tucson. Been playing guitar for a long time and really want a steel guitar!

A wind fall of cash and a "buy the best and cry once" mind set has me with ~$1500 budget!

I've found a couple Fender 50's laps steels in the $900 range but not sure if collectibility is part of price.

Otherwise nothing has appeared on CL or in stores.

So anyone in Tucson or PHX want to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Warren

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 12:44 pm    

I just got my first lap steel in March, I love it but there's some pitfalls in buying, hopefully you can find locals to try theirs so you can decide about single/double neck, string spacing, # strings, scale length, humbucker/single coil etc. If you had to buy sight unseen there's builders that i would recommend, either from playing theirs, what others've posted here or email correspondence: Melbert/Allen, Clinesmith, Rukavina, Georgeboards, Asher.

a few sellers on reverb look pretty credible look at the lab analysis in (and look at return/refund policy carefully) https://reverb.com/shop/milwaukee-vintage-collective?product_type=electric-guitars&category=lap-steel

Bart Bull

New Orleans, USA/Paris FR/Berkeley USSR
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 3:55 pm    

The astonishing Chicago Store! On Sixth, right in the heart of downtown Tucson....the most voluminously eccentric music store in all the world . . . since 1919 . . . at least!

If you find it there — and you might —  they'll ask for more than it's worth. And then you just kind of refuse to leave without THEM paying YOUR price....it's a time-honored Chicago Store tradition. Since at least 1919, allegedly.
Hohner Corona Dos en Fa, y Gabanelli en Sol

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 6:11 am    

Check with Chuck Back in up Marana.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 9:46 am     Swsga

Check out the SWSGA, Southwest Steel Guitar Association. They have a yearly convention in Mesa,Az. and a couple of jams during the year.
http://www.swsteelguitar.com/index.htm

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 2:59 pm    

Bart Bull wrote:
The astonishing Chicago Store! On Sixth, right in the heart of downtown Tucson....the most voluminously eccentric music store in all the world . . . since 1919 . . . at least!

If you find it there — and you might —  they'll ask for more than it's worth. And then you just kind of refuse to leave without THEM paying YOUR price....it's a time-honored Chicago Store tradition. Since at least 1919, allegedly.
When I was in Tucson in March, Chicago Store was gone!
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 3:11 pm    

Warren, if your looking for a pedal steel, I'm in Mesa AZ. and I can build you a brand new guitar.
Go take a look on our website.
www.justicesteelguitars.com
thanks for looking.

Bart Bull

New Orleans, USA/Paris FR/Berkeley USSR
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 9:07 am    

"When I was in Tucson in March, Chicago Store was gone!"

Dang!

And just when I was considering the possibility of perhaps revealing the secret treasure map mystical route to the forbidden hidden passage that led upstairs, past dust-covered mummified sarcophagi and trombone cases, to the Tomb of the Unknown Guitar....

Looks like they may have split the place into two locations, one downtown and one on Speedway....but that's according to their website. If it made sense, it wouldn't be the Chicago Store.....

May still be some amazing steels hidden somewhere at one or the other location, if that helps keep things on track here.
Hohner Corona Dos en Fa, y Gabanelli en Sol

Warren Allen

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 4:04 pm    

Jack Aldrich wrote:
Bart Bull wrote:

I thought it was just me... They moved across the street!

Supposedly a newspaper article said closed and they have been battling the false news for months.

Spoke with them on phone and said they have about 75% of the inventory of the old one and that's a LOT! I'll try it soon!

W

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 6:49 pm    

The old Chicago Music downtown was a trip. It was massive, and overflowing (literally) with merchandise to the point where you couldn't walk through much of the building. It was that way for years, if not decades. I don't ever recall seeing any steel guitars, but there could have been a B-52 in there somewhere and you'd never have noticed it. A true treasure trove and a fascinating store. Surprising the local Fire Marshall let the place slide as long as he did.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 7:32 pm    

Jack Aldrich wrote:
Bart Bull wrote:

Yeah, that old place is just a memory now. I couldn't even find the building where Workshop Music on Speedway was, and I worked there!

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 1:19 pm    

The old store was something else, just massive amounts of vintage Fender amp
s of all stripes and vintage Gibson guitars ...you could spend all day in there!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme