The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Talk to me about Evans amps....
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 10:10 am    

Hi!

I’m gonna get a dedicated speaker cabinet for my steel guitar. Been using a Pro Reverb and it’s heavy! Also use a Deluxe for 6 string, but don’t love it on steel.

I’d like to get one of those super lightweight portable amps to use with the new cab. I’ve used a Quilter, and like it.

But I keep hearing about Evans amps. They seem great, but I’ve never used one.

Can anybody compare/contrast for me? My points of reference are Fender amps and Quilter. (I like both)

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 6:25 pm    

Hi Charley I have a 65 Pro Reverb and a blackface Twin Reverb Clone both of which sound great with Steel. I love the tube amp tone but not the weight. I recently picked up a Webb 614-E and an Evans RE-200. The Webb to many here on the forum is one of the best Pedal Steel amp ever made and I will have to admit The Webb is awesome great power great tone and head room to spare The Evans is about 1/3 the size and 1/2 the weight of the Webb and the power and tone is right there with the Webb. The RE-200 has the same electronics as the Evans SE-200 Steel Guitar amp but the RE has a 10" speaker and is about 26 lbs. the SE has a 15" speaker and is I think 40-48 lbs. I have never used a Quilter but I can say the Evans amp will stay with or surpass the Fenders for clean head room.

Good Luck
Barry

Craig Coffman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 2:29 pm    

Charley I have an Evans E200 head and it is the only SS amp I've used that can sound like my Silverface Dual Showman head. It probably weighs less than half of the D.S. No complaints.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 2:05 am    

I had an Evans SE-200. To be truthful I didn't keep the SE-200 long. I recently sold a Quilter Steelaire rack amp. The Steelaire is the closest I've had to a Fender tube amp.

Since I sold the Steelaire rack, I'm seriously considering buying a Steelaire combo amp.

If you follow the Quilter page on Facebook you will see lot of 6 string players abandoning their Fender tube amps for Quilters. Several 6 string players are also using Steelaire amps.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 4:01 am     Talk to me about Evans amps

I used an Evans FET 500 built by Derrell Stephen's for 20 years. Great sounding amp. I had a Steelaire rack mount and liked it OK, but was not crazy about it. I sold it and bought an Evans rack mount and I like it a lot better. I am running it through the RCA inputs on my Stereo Steel, so I can go from Evans to Stereo Steel by just moving my guitar cord from one input to the other. I love this set up. My 2 cents worth.

chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 5:01 pm    

I inherited an Evans RE 200. It has a bright sound, similar to a Fender. I’m not crazy about the digital reverb, usually carry a delay pedal with the amp. I have never felt it was lacking in power or tone. It has a pretty big sound for such a small package. My loaded pac-a-seat weighs more than the amp.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 5:51 am    

I cannot compare to Fender or Quilter, but if a general impression will help, my 22 year old Evans SE200 sounds stellar. I installed a new Eminence speaker (the one recommended by Scot Buffington), and I use a Black Box and sometimes a Sparkle Drive. Would love to try a new Evans someday if budget allows.

Last edited by Tommy Boswell on 23 Jul 2019 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 1:40 pm    

Tommy Boswell wrote:
my 22 year old Evans SE200 sounds stellar.

As does my 34 year old Evans FET-500LV!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 5:14 am     Evans

In a nutshell, "there is nothing any better than an Evans amp".

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 5:43 am     amp

Evans amp is way beyond expectations, I described using one on my "for sale" post for an Evans SE-200. I only have $399 on it just so I can finish paying for a new Evans with either the 8, 10, or 12" speaker.
Evans are hand built one at at a time amps here in the USA. These used Evans amps are amazing values.

Smile Smile Smile
Dick

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 12:50 pm     amp

After much more discussion with Scot, I bought an RE200 10" speaker.
26 pound power house that handles those low notes with ease.
OOOh yeah!!!!
Smile Smile
Dick

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 10:20 am    

I've had a Quilter, an Evans SE 200 and now have an Evans AH 200 head played through a cab with a 15 inch speaker (rig is 26 lbs.) I consider Evans as the best I've played through. Scott Buffington in a great guy to deal with as well.

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 10:49 am     opinion

My Se200 had a beautiful deep rich bass, but I've used Peavey's for 40 yrs. Just couldn't get used to the settings...sold it 1 yr later
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 5:10 am     Evans Amp

Charley,

I have used all types of Peavey,Fender, Roland, Quilter, and Evans amps. I always seem to be drawn back to the Evans. Now that I am somewhat older, I've got a lightweight newer model Evans SE200 combo amp that weighs in at about 38 lbs. It sounds terrific! Taking the time to dial it in means a lot to get that sound you desire. The Evans FET 500 LV was the best sounding amp I ever had, but it was so heavy. It had the weight of a Peavey or a Fender. But the SE200 has the SE200 pre-amp with the dpu 200 amp. DPU stands for Digital Power Unit, which lightens the load significantly. You won't regret going with Evans.

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 8:43 pm     Evans Amp

I have left my heavy amp. behind. I have an Evans amp. DPU 200. It is good for small Vinues. Went back playing with a band in Sept. 2018. To cut weight I built a birch cabinet for a Eminence EPS-15 C (22.0 Lb.) I power it with a Evans AH200 (7.0 lb. in padded tote Bag.) It has a great sound with delay added.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:46 am     amp

Scot Buffington at Evans spent an hour with me yesterday to tweak my new AE200, and it just sounds fabulous. I used it with pedal steel playing along with a keyboardist. This amp has no problem being heard at all. Wow I am so amazed. This morning I plugged in my Harmony Golden Jubilee and it sounds fabulous with the same exact settings.
Just wonderful. AE200 10" speaker, small body, light weight, no extra "stuff" needed to haul around and constantly mess with knobs and adjustments. Nice. So very pleased.
Would I say buy an Evans? Without hesitation.
Smile Smile Smile
Dick