The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice please
John Boyte

Lake Providence, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 7:38 am    

Finally, after issues with me, I received my Stage One Zum Encore from Doug yesterday! Doug is a great guy to deal with and was helpful all the way. Now, as I told him yesterday, all I have is a guitar and the habit! My amps are on the blink but I plan to order one this week. I have finger picks on the way....ProPik, split and regular to try. I had ordered some from Jeffran but y'all know the story on that. I need a bar and of course I know about the Dunlop 920. I also looked at the lighter John Hughey bar due to my age and maybe needing a lighter weight. What do you all think. Since I am new, I don't know how much tone is affected by the bar and I am going to need all the help I can get. Back in the 70s when I was "playing at" PSG, I had the Dunlop. Any help appreciated!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 8:11 am    

Bar? BJS

John Boyte

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 8:16 am    

Thanks Barry. I was looking at the BJS John Hughey 7/8 x 3 3/8 at 7 1/2 ounces. Would the lighter bar be a hindrance in any way?

John Boyte

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 8:21 am    

I also will need cords...length to go from guitar to volume pedal, then to amp, and jumpers if I use any effects. What is a normal length from guitar to volume pedal?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 8:56 am    

I use the shortest cord I can for volume pedal and out to effects unit. They’re both probably about 3’.

If you start out with a 7/8” bar, don’t overdo your practice time at first, or your bar-handling fingers might pay a price.

Everything effects tone, volume, and sustain, including bar weight and density.

Stay safe down there in the flood zone!

John Boyte

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:09 am    

Thanks...maybe when I played before I had a 3/4" bar! Don't have a clue...that was a long time ago! Thanks for the concern on the storm. We are ok, even though I got up this am to find water dripping from my ceiling with a leak in a 3 year old roof! Oh well, at least I have a NEW Zum Encore to look forward to!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:07 am    

I got 2 instructional DVDs from the public library, by Rob Haines and Bruce Bouton.

Haines' is really good, covers picks, bars, cords, amp, seat etc. Picks and bars takes a lot of experimentation for some people, other people (the lucky ones) can just buy stuff at Guitar center or Sam Ash and it works for them.

Bouton's DVD content is good but video quality from VHS transfer really suffered but worth watching if your library has it.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 2:45 pm    

I have Bruce Bouton's video but not the other. I have a lot Jeffran College (Jeff Newman) videos also. I was thinking at my age about the weight of the bar because I have noticed some "weakness" in my left hand when playing guitar. I will probably order some George L cable and wire and make the cables. I would rather go ahead and spend the money now and have better accessories.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 3:47 pm    

There's threads about modding tonebars for easier grip, or making them out of aluminum for 3 oz. bar. People hae mentioned using sticky stuff like violin rosin or plastidip but that was on Dobro/stevens bars. Plastidip on a bullet bar might not be so bad.

Michael Hillman has started making bullet bars with grip indentations in the sides (you can look in the 4sale forum), I use his powder coated bars and Clinesmith's polymer bars, they seem to be easier to grip than chrom/stainless/brass/other metals

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=262613

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=214968

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=279037

I forgot to say the most important thing, hope the rain/weather isn't terrible where you are.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 6:25 pm    

It has been raining a lot and gusty winds. We have so many pecan trees that can't take a lot of wind gusts over time because they are pretty brittle. All is well though and this should get out of here tomorrow. thanks for asking!

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 2:35 am    

A lighter bar won't be a hindrance in any way. I use a BJS 1" which is pretty heavy I guess but I like the tone. Not better just different. I suppose a heavy bar could slow you down on some types of playing. Anyway I wouldn't go to modding anything until you try one for a while and see how it goes.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 2:36 am    

John, I would try the 7/8th bar and see how you get along with it. The Dunlop is fine for some. I moved to heavier and larger bars. The Hillman is a great bar and I have several. Mine are 15/16th. It will take some seat time to decide what is best.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 4:21 am     I love my tone bar - very easy on these old fingers

The builder offers different size bars and a variety of woods as well.
Just a suggestion -- works VERY well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Stainless-Steel-Dobro-Bar/dp/B0002GWK5U

Don

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 6:01 am    

Shubbs are good Stevens style bars, the 2 models on top in the photo have an upturned front edge kind of like bullet bars good for dobro but I find they're too light for playing steel at 5 and 5.5 oz.

But doesn't hurt to try. Might as well try Dunlop and National fingerpicks, they seem to be on sale in lots of band and orchestra instrument stores and Guitar centers.

http://www.shubb.com/sp/

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 7:43 am    

The 7/8 in. Dunlop 920 is a good bar at a reasonable price. You may decide later to experiment with some higher end and different alloy bars, but that's a good place to start IMO.

Typical cord lengths are 3', guitar to VP...10', VP to amp. b0b has the newer D'Addario custom cables and ends.

All of these items can be found in the forum store. See the buttons top of page.

Best of luck getting re-acquainted with the steel guitar.