The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Three part harmony - TC Electronics Mimiq
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 7:35 am    

I named this song Harmoniq and originally planned on using the TC Electronics Mimiq doubler/tripler to create two and three part overdubbed sounds. Well after recording a bunch of sound samples with the Mimiq and really not finding the effect very useful (despite the glowing online reviews) I returned it.

I ended up just playing three part harmony on the guitars and fattening up the sound with a TC Electronics Flashback delay and a Boss RV-6 set on Mod Reverb.

Hear Harmoniq

Links to TC Electronics Mimiq if your curious about it:

Mimiq on Amazon

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MimiQ--tc-electronic-mimiq-doubler-pedal

I'll post a link to the rhythm track as soon as it's up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 1:15 pm    

I bought a Mimiq a while back hoping to create a unique fatter tone on steel. Discovered it really needs stereo amps for the sonic effect I'm after. All the youtube demos are in stero, too. Still have it, and just need to learn how to route it correctly through my Stereo Steel, plus other stereo and mono pedals. Got any clues for me on that routing front, Greg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 5:05 pm    

I had no luck with it in stereo either. It seems to have more chorus on the lower notes. The demos on the TC web site are not very impressive but mostly used rock power chords. No way does this thing sound anything like laying down a duplicate track. It appears to insert chorus detuning and random delays on the wet tracks in an attempt to mimic what you'd get laying down more tracks yourself.

Let me know what you get out of it in stereo mode! The Stereo Steel does have a stereo effects loop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 7:57 am    

I was actually just looking into picking up a Mimiq pedal. I've been watching the gushing reviews as well. It sounds great when listening to the reviews with headphones where the stereo separation is apparent. I thought it would sound good for single-line Santo & Johnny or Friends of Dean Martinez runs.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 10:26 am    

I've got 8 minutes of before and after audio recorded in stereo with guitar and steel but never edited it down for posting. It just sounded artificial and thin! So I scrapped the review and returned the Mimiq for a refund. YMMV...........

James Mayer

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 10:41 am    

I hear ya. I'm holding off and hoping something comes out that is better.

I've also read that there was a phase issue if the firmware was not updated to the latest version. Do you happen to know if you were using the latest? The reviews of it being "thin" have been either the above or trying to run it summed to mono which you've already noted you had it in stereo.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 11:00 am    

I'm thinking of trying to build this type of effect using Audulus for the iPad.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audulus-3/id1027525593

I'm thinking something like the following:
1) split input left and right, right being "dry", left being "wet".
2) use a delay on the wet signal with mix at 100% so only the delayed signal is heard, set to a single repeat. Have the time/ms parameter modified randomly in a very small range to try to mimic the slight timing changes a human would naturally have.
3) the same as #2 but with very small pitch changes
4) the same as #2 but with very small volume changes

The above would be for "live" playing. But for studio tracking, the same could be done with an additional 100% mix delay without the randomness on the "dry" signal, with the milliseconds set to the median of the range used to alter the "wet" signal. That would allow the notes from the "wet" to sometimes be heard BEFORE the dry and not just after.

You think it would work? Anything else you can suggest that would make it sound like a flawed human double-tracking?

Last edited by James Mayer on 15 Jul 2019 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 11:39 am    

I did not update the firmware and have no idea what firmware was in my pedal. It may make a big difference but then that would say that they shipped tons pedals that are pretty useless and then decided that a firmware update was needed?

I've done some double tracking and it's easy to fatten up the sound that way. Of course with that you've got random timing, tuning, note length and tonal variations. Can't imagine an effects box doing that very well. I have had some luck with copying a track in the DAW, off-setting it a few milliseconds and even adding some slight chorus to it before combining it with the original.

One of the glowing Mimiq reviews was from a veteran advanced Fractal Axe III user who stated on his Youtube rig review that the Mimiq was the one stompbox effect he couldn't dupicate in the Axe III. He has it in the Axe effects loop and switches it in and out as needed.