The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel Superb, long scale - PICTURES ADDED
William Morgan III

Hephzibah,GA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 11:04 am    

On my 25 1/2" scale Superb, it is always in the back of my mind knowing that the 3rd string is just waiting to break. It's hard to completely relax and just enjoy playing. This is not a guitar that makes gigging fun, always waiting for that "pop" and always just at the wrong time. I am using Ernie Ball RPS reinforced 12 gauge strings. Also, it usually takes 2 or 3 trys before I get one not to break when replacing. I have read all the prior posts pertaining to Excel Superb 3rd string breakage. Anybody still gig regulary and not worry about having to replace it while on a job and going through 1-4 strings and hoping you can get one to hold? It is a great guitar and she really sings for me when I can do my part. My old back loves the size and light weight but the 3rd string is a real challenge. I know a lot of you have already "been there, done that". Any help or suggestions will sure be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Last edited by William Morgan III on 12 Jul 2019 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 11:18 am    

I've had the same strings on since new (18 months) and I'm still waiting. I had Mitsuo ship a spare set - GHS. Maybe I should stock up on .011s for when the time comes!

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 12:15 pm    

I'm not gigging on steel, but I play a lot, and I've had the same strings on my long scale Superb for a year or more. No breakage so far. It's bound to happen, but I've had less string breakage on this guitar than any I've owned. I'm using .011 on the third.

I think I might be lucky and have one of the changer/nut combinations that works without breakage problems. I know that I've read of others who have had to make minor modifications to keep from breaking strings. Mine tunes on the changer side, which is also the ball-end side of the guitar.

Dave

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 8:32 pm    

Do yourself a favor and switch to Jagwires and start using a 0.115 plain for the 3rd string. I play 20-30 4 set gigs on my 25.5" keyless 12 string Excel Superb and only change that string when it goes dead. I never break any Jagwires ever snd I have a couple 1 1/2 step pulls. Life got real easy when I got my Excel.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 12:07 am    

I read somewhere that Mitsuo himself doesn't enjoy putting that 3rd string on and doesn't push the long scale guitars. But I think 25½" is preferable on a 12-stringer.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 5:10 am     Excel Superb

I broke 3rd's on different guitars for 40 years. Then I got Jaqwires, end of problem.I have been using Live Steel for the last couple of years and have not broken one yet. Rule out the strings as the problem first. If you break either of these brands of strings, you have a guitar problem. I used to use standard .011 on the Jaqwire and the Live Steel. About two years ago, I went to .0115 on the Live Steel.At the beginning of this year, I went to .012 and like them best of all. My first choice is Live Steel.

William Morgan III

Hephzibah,GA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 11:54 am    

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have given more details about this guitar. I have not tried Jaqwires or Live Steel strings but every brand 11 and 12s break at the tuning end. The Ernie Ball reinforced is the only one that stays on. The ball end is at the tuner and fits into little fingers while the plain end is held by a rounded grub screw and a hex screw at the puller. I'm thinking that this was not one of Mitsuo's best designs. Does anyone else have one like mine?

William Morgan III

Hephzibah,GA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 12:06 pm     Pictures added

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 12:29 pm    

Here's a thread that talks about several ways that breakage of the third string might be avoided:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=342881

It looks like some of the posts are talking about the tuner/changer like on your guitar.

Dave

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 12:29 pm     excel superb long scale

Is it a keyed or keyless guitar? A keyed guitar with a 25-1/2" scale would require a lot of string tension to bring it up to pitch. I would try an .012 just to see. Jeff Newman told me that a 12 was larger and stronger and wouldn't break as easy. I didn't argue with him, but it seemed logical that because of the larger diameter, you would have to tighten it even more, which would offset the difference in the strength of the string. If you are consistently breaking them at the same place, it sounds like a changer design flaw.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 10:47 am    

I play 3 S-10 Ext E9 Excel keyless steels , have never broke any string, the 3rd is .012, ..I first used Cobra Coils for 15 years, then Live steel and now NYXLs from B0b...my Sho-Bud breaks the 3rd regularly...On my practice home Excel the NYXLs are almost 2 years on it... Shocked

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 6:28 am    

My 25.5" Superb is an early one, circa 2000, and has no string breakage issues with 11 ga. Jagwires.
Ball ends are anchored at the changer in a slot, and the plain end wraps around a hex head screw to lock it to the vertical moving tuning block. I do need to pull the third string tight at the tuning end before locking it down, or there will not be enough travel to get it up to pitch.
It's good to see pictures of your guitar here. I'm thinking that having the lock twist going over the roller nut under tension is not good and may be contributing to the problem.
My first question is: Where exactly does the string break when you try to get it up to pitch? Is it in the lock twist at the ball end?

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 9:53 am    

Check again for burr or sharp edge on the tuning block.

Also, pre stretch the string and bring it up slow.

I have 2 Excel Superbs and although I do sometimes break a 3rd putting it on, once on, they last like any other guitar.

I remember popping 3rd strings while playing on my old PP often. Almost poked my damn eye out!

any chance you can post a large, close-up view of the tuning block at the 3rd string?

EDIT: I think that the reinforced 3rd is not the best here, it looks like the wrapping is getting up onto the roller. This could easily cut the string there.

I'd (re) try a quality 0.011" string (like SIT it JAG) pre-stretched, and tune it up slow, flexing it as you tighten it up.

After checking the tuning block for burrs.