The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unusual Magnatone?
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 5:37 pm    

So, this non-MOTS Magnatone is in my local Craigslist...is it this or something much less interesting? Or is this actually not that interesting?

"Premium six string lap steels were sold as well, like the "Varsity" of the mid fifties or or the G-65-W6 Troubadour of 1956-1959. The G-65-W6 was a hand-rubbed lacquer finish on solid walnut (The "W" in G-65-W6)"

-So...
-something worth getting? What might it be worth? He's asking $445....
-And does anyone know the scale length on these?
thanks!

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 6:39 pm    

I think these are excellent vintage lap steels in the under-$500 range. I have the 8-string version of this model. It’s solid, with a good clear vintage tone. The demo of “Wave” that I posted recently to this forum was recorded with my G65. The scale length is a comfortable 24-1/2”.

The only complaint I’ve heard—an issue that is present on my guitar as well—is that the pickup can tend to be microphonic - and that is amplified by the body cavity under the metal plate that houses the pickup, pots and jack. But with good technique it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

$445 sounds a tad steep—but it does have the correct original case and looks to be in great shape. Also these are very hard to come by. Do a search and you’ll see only a couple of these up for sale over the past few years. You might offer a little south of $400 and see where it takes you. Good luck!

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 10:08 pm    

I think those are among the nicest cheap vintage steels out there, especially if you like the scale. The plain wood is a little more dressed-up than normal, so that is kind of cool. Price a bit on the high side, but if everything works well and you could get $100 knocked off, that would be great.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 3:50 am    

On the second picture from the bottom, the end. there is a flat peace of medal. For the live me I can't figure what it is for??
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:18 am    

Joe I wondered the same thing. That sure is a nice steel.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:30 am    

Joe Elk wrote:
On the second picture from the bottom, the end. there is a flat peace of medal. For the live me I can't figure what it is for??
Joe Elk Central Ohio

If I'm understanding that's just the bridge/pickup plate. I have a Mag D8 that is the 8 string dual neck twin pickup per neck version of this, probably mid/late 50s. It is quite similar, the plate goes over the edge of the steel and that's where the output jack is located. On this version your strings appear to feed in there, as well.

I quite like mine, I imagine this one sounds fairly similar at least when compared to the bridge pickup only mode. Price is a bit steep...not too bad but should be a bit lower...but I've heard nothing but praise for this slightly higher end of the Maggie laps...

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:53 am    

Joe Elk wrote:
Joe Elk Central Ohio

When I look closely, it doesn't seem like something actually sticking out from the tail of the guitar, looks more like a reflection to me. Look at second pic from top. There doesn't appear to be anything there.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 5:11 am     Great Price

My opinion that is a great price.

Every thing appears original, the case looks to be in excellent condition.

The guitar has all of the better hardware and the bottom Flocking is perfect too.

These are great players , I totted mine all over world for 5 years and gladly paid 400 dollars in 1994 for it in equal condition

To determine the scale length , measure from the top center of the nut to fret 12 and top center of the bridge to fret 12, both distances are supposed to be the same.
11.25 = 22.5 scale.
YouTube Channel

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 8:10 am    

Nelson Checkoway wrote:

The only complaint I’ve heard—an issue that is present on my guitar as well—is that the pickup can tend to be microphonic - and that is amplified by the body cavity under the metal plate that houses the pickup, pots and jack. But with good technique it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

I've had a couple of Magnatones with this pickup, a guitar like the one pictured, and a double neck two pickup version (like the Jules Ah See guitar). I just didn't like the sound of those microphonic pickups. I just figure it's me, since obviously Jules and some other players here sound great with theirs.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 1:59 pm    

Chris is right—the metal “tab” in the photo is a reflection. Note that the bottom corner of the part sticking out toward the viewer is missing - because the mirror-like surface ends and the reflection disappears. It does seem like a nice guitar.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:27 pm    

Nelson Checkoway wrote:
Chris is right—the metal “tab” in the photo is a reflection. Note that the bottom corner of the part sticking out toward the viewer is missing - because the mirror-like surface ends and the reflection disappears. It does seem like a nice guitar.

OK, I finally saw it! It's like one of those 3D "Magic Eye" pictures, hah. Yes definitely a reflection/illusion.

On the whole, I prefer my Magnatone's tone to my similar med-scale Stringmaster, at least for the music I do. Never had trouble with feedback/microphonic issues. The tone pot circuit is inscrutable which is my main complaint.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:35 pm    

Well, I sent him a message to see if he'd think about taking less that $445...

I'm looking for a long-scale instrument with a vintage tone - the thick, blooming tone thing...don't know if this is one or not.

My recent experience with short-scale instruments is leading me to standardize on one scale so I can play moderately in tune; switching around isn't helping...and my tricone and Weissenborn are long scale...so long scale it shall be...and the long-scale ones seem a bit more forgiving on intonation, not like micro-surgery to get it right, especially on the higher frets...

If this works out, it will be my main instrument (alt-country and jazz bands for electric gigs) until my long-scale Clinesmith gets built....still a while to go on that one...

Jesse Valdez

Fiddletown, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 8:42 pm    

Interestingly here is a similar make and model for sale in los angles (I search through multiple craigslist places) has one for sale with an unoriginal pickup but for much less with a smaller scale length
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/d/san-fernando-magnatone-lap-steel/6912330748.html

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 3:36 pm    

That would relate to the other Lyric line of double and triple neck consoles with short scales and white fretboards.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 4:16 pm    

With the natural finish walnut, original case, and overall very good condition, I don't think it's overpriced, especially if you don't have to pay for any shipping. I have a less valuable MOTS version, and think these might be the best old lap steels under $500. So does Mike Neer. I think you'll like the tone. It's been reported that Paul Bigsby might have had a hand in the pickup design. It's not on a par with Todd Clinesmith's Bigsby replica pickups, but it's good.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 1:31 pm    

Well, I found a Troubadour (the upgraded model) still for sale in the old ads here, and got it, but I didn't realize that there are both short- and long-scale Magnatones, and this one is short scale....

So I'm putting it up for sale for what I paid....$350 shipped. It is in really great shape, a few scratches, and sounds wonderful...with OHSC.

The upgraded one has separate controls, pickup, etc., not all on one plate, so it eliminates (I believe) any microphonic issue..

I'm checking back with the local guy to see about his again....his definitely is long scale..

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 9:58 pm    

So the local guy still wanted way too much money, but I was ready to go for it anyway, and then in a strange, but wonderful turnabout, I got offered a trade for the short-scale Magnatone - a lovely long-scale Oahu Diana with string-through Valco pickup...it is a beauty, and sounds great...then the trade guy decided he didn't want the Magnatone...so I sold the Magnatone to another and used the money to buy the Diana! It is exactly what I wanted - feels like my first lap in this quest, an Asher Ben Harper, which was too big and sounded like a guitar (albeit a nice one), not a lap, has the nice compressed tone of the Superslide I got later (which I now will sell), but was short-scale, and is long-scale, and already I feel comfortable with it...same scale I've been playing for years on tricone and Weissenborn..