The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning troubles
Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 6:45 pm    

I posted an earlier version of this problem a couple weeks back and received several much-appreciated suggestions. Unfortunately, things have gotten, if not worse, certainly more confusing for a novice like myself. Here's my current trouble:
I'm playing a BMI(used, but new to me)
The 8th string does not return to pitch after raising or lowering on the LKL or LKR, respectively. The 4th string seems to return to pitch just fine when using the knee levers, however while trying to find a solution for the 8th string problem I have somehow affected the pedal travel on the 4th string. Now the C pedal will only raise the 4th string a few cents above an F natural (as opposed to the intended f#)
Are these problems likely related?
Does it matter in which order I approach them?
Thanks for any help! I really want to understand how this beautiful machine works.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 3:52 am    

Do look over my post on Overtuning at the top of this section. Not necessarily because I think that's the problem but just because it is so very common a problem that'll get you going round and round, chasing it down.

What you are trying to pin down is stuff that an experienced all-pull mechanics will be able to track down via a few narrowing-down diagnostics but I find it so hard to do this remotely like this.

I strongly suggest that you get thee to a local tech (a STEEL tech, not a guitar repairman!). It really shouldn't cost much in bench time. If he's good, he'll do it while you watch and he'll show you what's happening so that you can better do your own maintenance.

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:34 am    

Jon-
Thanks for the advice. I'm thirty minutes outside Nashville, so I'm in one of the few spots on Earth where I might actually have my pick of good techs to see. I certainly do want to watch and learn, so hopefully I can find the right person.
Probably my first question should have been "is this something a novice can tackle or should I seek professional help before I dig this hole any deeper?"
Thanks again!
-Matt

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:47 am    

Cool. That's what I was hoping when I saw your Tennessee listing.
In fact yes, this is stuff that a novice can learn quickly with a bit of general mechanical aptitude (which is NOT a universal thing. Some people just cannot relate to this stuff and that's fine. Funny how the brain is wired.)
Indeed it is something that some people can figure out even without being shown -- if you have a strong sense of neck bone connected to the thigh bone (heaven help you), I'd say trust whatever sense you think you are making of what you see. Document how things are connected and whatever changes you are making.

Again, check out the Overtuning thread for a more comprehensive overview of leverages etc.

There is a real possibility of mucking things up in ways that only an experienced technician can bail you out of. Most likely, no harm will be done other than creating a very out-of-adjustment guitar.

It all depends on how much time you wish to spend working on the guitar rather than playing it.

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 4:59 am    

Funny, I read your overtuning post a couple weeks ago and it made less sense to me than it did re-reading just now having recently been underneath the steel. Pieces are slowly falling into place in my understanding, however the brain knowing and the hands doing are two completely different animals. I expect I'll give it another swing while at the same time beginning the search for some hands on guidance.
Thanks again for the advice and the comprehensive post on overtuning. There's so little info out there on the maintenance of the steel it starts to feel like trying to crack some ancient Chinese secret. A thorough explanation like yours is a bit like finding a cheat sheet before test day.
-Matt