The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deluxe Blend Pot
Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 2:59 pm    

I bought a Deluxe 8 with a fairly rough appearance. I loaned it a young friend and he reported the bridge pickup cut out when he would anchor his hand on part that sticks out beyond the strings, and sure enough, it does. I took off the control plate to see if there could be some dodgy connection that could be affected by the pressing down. I don't see anything obvious, but all that is maybe the subject of future questions.

I sprayed out the tone and volume pots with electronics cleaner, but they just don't have much usable sweep, and so I thought I might replace them, kind of as a junior practical electronics project, and I am not going to devalue the guitar. (I have wired a few Teles and want to get more understanding of the circuitry and soldering experience.)

My question is about the blend pot. When I look at replacement pots, they all have two rows of lugs, but the pot in my instrument just looks like a three lug 250k audio pot. Can someone please explain?

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 7:09 am     Deluxe blend pot.

Guess I'll chime in since no great minds have answered yet. Here's a link to the a wiring diagram:
Picture file
The "blend" pot on the Stringmaster isn't what's called a blend pot nowadays. Instead it's a regular pot wired to both pickups. Hope this helps.
Mr. Grizzard, I've appreciated your western swing guitar playing and your online lessons. I'm a little better player because of you. Thanks.
Joe

'54 Fender D-8 Dual Pro, Magnatone G-65-W6, Tweed 5F1 Champ

Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 8:22 am    

Joe - Thank you so much, on both counts. I really appreciate hearing my videos have helped someone, and that I correctly identified a 250k audio pot.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 8:53 am    

Yes that's right its a standard 250k audio pot.
This is because the pickups are wired in series rather than in parallel. A standard blend pot is used where blending pickups in parallel as is standard in most Guitars.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 1:21 pm    

Agreed and it is a one way blend, as well...from bridge on to bridge+neck (in series), most modern blends are as described, each pickup fully on by itself with the middle being both on in parallel.

The Stringmaster wiring is a lot like a single humbucker with a coil split...one coil (neck) sent straight to ground and bypassed, except instead of a on-off switch it is a potentiometer that applies the split gradually...

I seem to always keep mine on full on, both pickups in series! Smile

Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 1:49 pm    

Thanks again, all y’all, for your help. I replaced all three pots, tone cap, and output jack. I’m pleased to report everything works, and the pickup that had been cutting out seems to be fine.

Everything I do like this, that seems like it ought to take half an hour, always takes me three hours, but it gets a little better each time.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 10:54 am    

Like Nic said, they really are not "blend" pots or systems.

I prefer calling them "insertion circuits" to avoid confusion with normal 6-lug blend pots..
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional