The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  IEM Distortion
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:51 pm    

OK, electronics fans... Here’s the very short version of a very big problem in case it can be solved without the details, though I’m happy to provide the details if it would be helpful:

My IEMs sound thin, reedy and usually distorted through a variety of both wired and wireless headphone packs. Turning up the packs usually adds to the distortion. However, the IEMs sound fine through the headphone jacks on my phone, Kemper Profiler, and home stereo system.

Any idea why the problems with the headphone packs could be happening and what can be done about it?

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 6:52 am    

Chris,

Without knowing the particular source and IEM models, it sounds as if the issue may be caused by impedance miss matches. Higher impedance sources into low impedance headphones can cause distortion. From this page, about 2/3 of the way down: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

"Distortion

Typical solid-state headphone amplifiers often have VERY low output impedance (and high current). As a result, they work well with a wide variety of headphone impedances. However, pairing a headphone whose load impedance is lower than the amplifier’s source impedance will most likely create audible playback distortion.

This is why low impedance headphones are not recommended for high output impedance amplifiers, such as OTL tube designs like the Bottlehead Crack or Darkvoice 336SE. Stick with very high impedance headphones (200 ohms and up) for this type of amplifier.

Nwavguy explained that

“…higher impedance headphones also require less current to drive and that typically reduces distortion in multiple ways. It makes them more immune to output impedance differences between sources and also less sensitive to long cables and sharing a common wire in 3 wire cables and 3 wire connectors (i.e. headphone plugs and jacks). The amplifiers driving headphones nearly always produce lower distortion into higher impedances… Tube amps with no output transformers (like the Bottlehead Crack), for example, have much higher distortion into low impedance headphones.”

Iphone and Kemper have low impedance headphone outputs, ~32-33 OHM. The sources which are distorting may be higher, causing the distortion.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 8:01 am    

Chris..

The last time this happened to me it was crap in the earpiece. Solved by a gentle probe and low compressed air.

Now, why this should happen NOW, on several devices only, I can only speculate.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L