The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B&C Pedals
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 6:16 pm    

Is there a way to get the B&C pedal sound with out using the C pedal or a knee raising the 4th string. I use the B&C pedals but you never know when you might need an extra lick. Thanks, gka

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 11:01 pm    

When I have A+B down, I reach over with my right foot to hit C. Takes some practice to get back on the volume pedal, but it works really well for me... if I just want the F#, I raise the E and slant the bar a half step.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:09 am    

Dave Meis wrote:
When I have A+B down, I reach over with my right foot to hit C.

Buddy does exactly that in the solo on this clip...

https://youtu.be/qnEMOQTh27s

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 8:15 am    

Not sure if this applies, but if you already have string 4 raised with a knee, and you have the A pedal on string 5, you can get the BC sound by sliding up 2 frets and releasing the knee lever. Works on strings 6-5-4, but you can get the minor-to-major sound with this move on strings 5-4-3 also.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 10:05 am     1/2 stop

gary, i remember an old buddy of mine had a 1/2 stop on his lkl that from an e to f and then raised both strings to an f sharp, i think bobbee seymore set it up for him....thanks jack

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 11:05 am    

Jeffery Harbour does not have a C pedal,,,I think he lowers or raises G#s,,,very effective substitute from what I've heard. I think he posted in a pretty lengthy thread a while back,,,explained it,,,got flamed,,,

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 11:13 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Jeffery Harbour does not have a C pedal

Nor does Russ Pahl, and he seems to have done okay for himself without it.

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 11:57 am    

I don't want to get rid of my C pedal, just want to add to my playing. Thanks for the post's guys.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 12:01 pm     Re: B&C Pedals

Gary Arnold wrote:
Is there a way to get the B&C pedal sound with out using the C pedal or a knee raising the 4th string. I use the B&C pedals but you never know when you might need an extra lick. Thanks, gka

If you're on strings 4 and 5, you can slide up two frets instead of hitting the C pedal.

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 8:47 pm    

TTT, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 10:47 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Quote:
If you're on strings 4 and 5, you can slide up two frets instead of hitting the C pedal

while strings 4 and 5 are ringing, add string 1 or 7(with a halfstep raise!!!) and slide those 3 ringing strings back two frets, release raise on string 1 or 7 and then lower string 4 a semitone. IIm V type sound.

B.Erlandsen

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 3:43 am    

The reason the C pedal gets questioned so regularly is historical.

My first guitar was pull-release, which is a good way to begin. You don’t have all the modern changes so you have to get to grips with the basics that the early players had. Any given string could be raised or lowered but not both.

The primary purpose of the C pedal was to effectively lower strings 3 & 6 to F#, by engaging it and simultaneously sliding back two frets so that 4 & 5 stayed at the same pitch (see p.30 of Winnie Winston’s book). Nowadays players who use that change have it on a lever, at least on string 6.

Secondly, in combination with the B pedal it gives harmonised scales on strings 3&4 or 4&6 in the same way that we use A&B on 5&6 or 6&10. That can now be done with that other new invention, the F lever.

So, both the original functions of the C pedal have been overtaken by technology. However, if you experiment with the old-fashioned voicings you will find them satisfying. I’m certain it’s because in each case the string tensions are greater.