Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Approach To Learning Pedal Steel
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 6:12 am    

Thanks Roger & Stephen!

Steve Leal wrote:

That is a brilliant perfecting method. Thanks for sharing! I’m gonna start trying that!

Something I didn't mention in my original post is that it can be a great confidence-builder. Since recording phrase-by-phrase allows you to play better than you would otherwise, when it sounds good on playback you're confronted with the realization that with more practice you could sound exactly like that in a live situation too. At least this is how it's working out for me, incentivizing me to practice more.

- Slim

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 12:40 pm    

Slim

I finally got a chance to listen - all the instruments sound great, great playing all around!

I think your approach to learning is a very workable one, the closest I get to it is when recording tracks at home for someone’s project, but I can easily see the value in taking it a step further, in fact, I can HEAR the value in your steel playing! Really nice, man.

I hope you’re going to the Phoenix show in January- I believe I’ve been asked back, so maybe we can chat a bit!

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 2:45 pm    

Wow, thank you Christopher! And yes, my plan is to attend the Phoenix show again, so much fun!

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 6:48 pm    

Hi Slim,

In compliment to Jim Sliff post I would say don't shy from emulating pro players licks, styles, etc. It's how we learn a vocabulary. I espire to play reels like Brendan, and on PSG try to copy solos, intros, etc. from pros I find on recordings or youtube. When we master that we'll find our own style eventually.My 2 cents.

Jon

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 5:52 am    

Jon Voth wrote:
Hi Slim,

In compliment to Jim Sliff post I would say don't shy from emulating pro players licks, styles, etc. It's how we learn a vocabulary. I espire to play reels like Brendan, and on PSG try to copy solos, intros, etc. from pros I find on recordings or youtube. When we master that we'll find our own style eventually.My 2 cents.

Jon

Agreed. I do copy from my favorite players in my daily practice, although I'm so lacking in technique on steel at this point that clean execution at speed is more often than not beyond my reach.

But what I learned on harmonica, where my technique is much more mature, is that I can either sound like a poorer version of one of my heroes, or develop something more personal, building on what I've learned from those players. And the feedback loop of recording and listening phrase-by-phrase allows me to do just that.

It's a (long) journey, for sure.

- Slim.