The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark (again)
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 4:54 am    

Let it never be said I am not willing to reconsider my opinions and decisions....

Last summer, following several glowing recommendation, I picked up a DV Mark micro 50 (first generation). I loved the sound in my study, but on the gig it "felt "strange (as I tried to explain, perhaps inadequately) in this thread.. Sold it and moved on.

Fast forward: I have to fly to a gig at the end of the month, and I'm not sure what to expect amp wise. I decided that, for the money, knowing I liked the sound, and for its compactness, I'd give the DV another shot. I decided to follow Jim Cohen's lead and go with the Little 250. I pulled it out for the second set last night. Again: tone is great, but the feel is foreign. I used it through the end of the night to get a feel for it. It feels as if I lose some sort of "squish" when I use this amp. As if the various points on my volume pedal are just points, not connected in a tapered fashion, so that when I go from a lower volume to a higher one the sound jumped rather than swelled.

Speaking with my tech savvy lead player at the break, he suggested an impedance issue. I wonder whether the DV Mark has a very different input impedance from other guitar amps(?) And wouldn't this be mitigated my my Matchbox anyway?? He suggested either a compressor before the volume pedal (one more gizmo) or running the three cord hook up (since the DV Mark does have an effects loop.

I would ask, "Is it just me?", but I already know the answer: "yes." Nevertheless, anyone else using the DV Mark heads have any feedback (no, not that kind)? I am planning on keeping the amp and working with it this time. If nothing else, it's a fabulous back up to throw in the car for emergencies.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 4:23 pm    

I have the DV 50 and experience no such issue. The volume swell does exactly what my pedal delivers, a clean sweep from 0 to 100% without altering the sweep.

I just have a hard time dialing in the EQ that I want with the DV 50.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 12:33 am    

I don't use mine all the time, now and then, the 2nd issue DV Mark 50. I don't experience what you are speaking of.

To me the amp responds the same as all the others I use . Two different Steels, several different Telecasters.

Why not send DV Tech dept a note and ask them about the front end ? It would be quite odd if the front end impedance is a miss match to other amps.

I suspect what you may be hearing or noticing is power supply recovery like a SS rectifier vs a Tube rectifier. I believe the DV uses a very modern switching power supply which is very different than a standard AUDIO full/half wave PS. All amps are not equal in this regard and that's why many say I prefer ONE amp over another.

The DV is a fine all purpose amp, but it may not be for everyone.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 May 2019 1:51 am    

Interesting thought about the power amp recovery, Tony. I think I can adjust to whatever it is I am feeling/hearing. I'm going to use it for rehearsals and gigs this month and see if I can't adjust.

There's always the distinct possibility that it's all in my head.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:09 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Interesting thought about the power amp recovery, Tony. I think I can adjust to whatever it is I am feeling/hearing. I'm going to use it for rehearsals and gigs this month and see if I can't adjust.

There's always the distinct possibility that it's all in my head.

Laughing At least you can still hear things in your head ! Give it a few more years ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:56 am    

Is that when all I hear in my head are the voices?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 5:30 am    

Hey, Dan. FWIW, I don't notice any such problem with mine. I do use a Li'l Izzy out my guitar but you're using a Matchbox so that should accomplish the same thing, I think...

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 3:17 pm    

I'm using the DV Mark 250 with a single JBL K-130 4 ohm speaker in a Walker cab. No issues and enjoy the vibe.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 10:46 am    

Hey guys,
Is it possible to run the DV Mark 50 II without a speaker hooked up, as I do with my GK mb200?
I had a look at the manual online,but saw no reference to that possibility.
Thanks!
Lee

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 10:58 am    

Don't know, Lee, but I suspect it would be fine. Seems like all newer solid state amps are okay with that.

It looks like I never did follow through from May. The amp functioned beautifully on my trip to Canada in late May. Plugged into all kinds on cabs, and the Amp sounded good. I'm sold!

In the end, I think the issues I was having with "response" was simply that these DV MArk min amps are LOUD!

Lee Warren

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 7:52 pm    

Thanks for the input Dan!
I’m still curious to hear if any forumites do this, or have tried it, before I pull the trigger on one.
Lee

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 2:23 am    

I've used the DV Mark as a headphone amp with no speaker attached. I've never had a problem. The Class D amps that I've tried in general don't care whether or not there's a speaker attached to them.

Dave

Lee Warren

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 6:00 am    

Thanks, Dave and Dan for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Just what I was looking for.
Lee

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 12:15 pm     Re: DV Mark (again)

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:

It feels as if I lose some sort of "squish" when I use this amp. As if the various points on my volume pedal are just points, not connected in a tapered fashion, so that when I go from a lower volume to a higher one the sound jumped rather than swelled.

I would ask, "Is it just me?", but I already know the answer: "yes."

No, it's not just you.

I experience the same thing when moving from a tube amp to a solid state amp. They respond differently to changes in volume (either due to picking or volume-pedaling).

On a solid state amp, if you pick 50% harder, you get 50% more out of the speaker. There is a one-to-one relationship. The amp is very responsive to changes in volume.

On a tube amp -- particularly one being pushed -- the tubes compress the signal a little as you input more volume. That's the 'squish' you referenced that's missing on a solid state amp. A 50% increase in picking or pedaled-volume does NOT generally translate to a 50% louder sound coming out of the amp. A tube amp is forgiving. If you pick (or pedal) too hard, the amp is less responsive to that demand and smooths that 'request' out. You don't get the full requested output. Some people like this, some hate it.

If you normally use a tube amp, this might be what's happening when moving over to a solid state. You're maybe used to jamming down the volume pedal and having the amp squish it a little for you, smoothing it out -- but then that isn't happening on the solid state and it feels 'foreign,' as you said. You could put a Black Box or other tube preamp in line to get you closer to the feel you're accustomed to when using a solid state amp. Or if you're wanting to fly and take as few pieces as possible, consider a Milkman "The Amp."

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 7:20 am    

Sounds about right, Tucker. The weird thing is, I've been using solid state for the past few years, only breaking my Twin out for special out-door occasions when I can get it past 2.5 on the volume and get to the "squish." Oddly enough, I am messing with the Twin this week in prep for an outdoor show on Friday, and now I'm having a little bit of the reverse effect; wondering why there is so little volume change when I move the pedal a little: haha!

For the past few years, my main "big" amp has been a '70s Peavey LTD 400. For whatever reason, it seems to respond more like a tube amp than the more modern solid states I have been working with to lighten the load. (Something about op-amps and discreet transistors I suspect, although that stuff is honestly over my head.) I am glad to have Quilters and the DV Mark to preserve my back (which is aching from having the Twin up and down from the bench for some speaker swaps this week). But, ultimately, I still contend that Tone=Weight.