The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for source for Emmons push pull bridge fingers
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:35 am    

I am looking for a source for replacement Emmons push pull bridge fingers. I have a worn 1983 push pull that I play every weekend, which is now breaking strings every week or two (it wasn't breaking them last year). I can't be without the guitar more than a few days, so sending the bridges out for buffing is not an option for me.

I am hoping somebody knows where I can get either new old stock bridge, or newly fabricated bridge fingers and a matching axle? My plan is to buy one new bridge assembly for my Money neck, then have the old fingers and axle restored by one of the known re-builders. That one will replace my C6 bridge when it comes back.

This is my only steel guitar and it is used professionally.

Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 8:40 am     Re: Looking for source for Emmons push pull bridge fingers

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
.. now breaking strings every week or two (it wasn't breaking them last year). ...sending the bridges out for buffing is not an option for me.

I don't understand what buffing has to do with breaking strings.

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
That one will replace my C6 bridge when it comes back.

Are you sure the E9 parts are the same size as the C6 parts?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 11:13 am    

Earnest;
Most of the fingers, especially the ones that are breaking strings, have grooves worn into the tops from the pressure of the strings. I am fairly certain that this is the primary cause of my recent spate of string breakage. The same thing happened on my previous Sho~Bud Super~Pro. After having the bridges restored to a polished surface and backside, the breakage dropped by 50%.

Yes to your second question. All 20 fingers are the same. Emmons fingers have spring pins that hold the ball ends of the strings. They don't have string channels like Sho~Buds had.

So, aside from your questions, do you know where I can buy new, rebuilt, or reproduction Emmons push pull bridge fingers?
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 12:17 pm    

E9 and C6 fingers are different lengths on a PP. It's to compensate for the step in the top deck so they're all on the same plane below. C6 raise fingers are ~4-5/16", D10 E9 raise fingers are ~4-9/16".

There is a guy named Dean Chance who was reportedly producing new PP fingers a few years back mentioned here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2475520#2475520

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 12:25 pm    

Ian Worley wrote:
E9 and C6 fingers are different lengths on a PP. It's to compensate for the step in the top deck so they're all on the same plane below. C6 raise fingers are ~4-5/16", D10 E9 raise fingers are ~4-9/16".

There is a guy named Dean Chance who was reportedly producing new PP fingers a few years back mentioned here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2475520#2475520

Thank you Ian.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 10:40 am    

I have a set of Dean Chance changers on my '67 bolt-on. I bought the guitar from Rick Price a few years ago and it had seen a lot of use (cosmetically it's not pristeen.) Rick told me the fingers had worn to the point where the guitar was 'unplayable', so he bought the Dean Chance changers and installed them.

I've also got a '66 bolt-on with the original changers and I can't tell any difference between the Dean Chance changers and the stockers... they look the same, and although the two guitars do have a slightly different sound (both good, just different) I don't think it has anything to do with the changers. I've owned and played a bunch of P/Ps and they all have their own personality.

The quality of the work on his changers is excellent, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Dean is on Facebook, (Dean Chance in Canyon Lake, TX) and I've IM'd him for contact info if you're interested in following up.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if he's still in the Emmons part biz or not, I've asked.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 9:51 pm    

I have left Dean Chance a voice mail message and a Facebook Messenger message, but haven't hear back yet. I hope he is okay and still in the business. Houston has had a lot of floods over the last couple of years.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2019 5:03 am    

Hi Wiz, I got a reply from Dean late last night. He has a few changers left. I'll PM you the number he sent.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2019 7:23 am    

I finally spoke with Dean. I will probably buy a set of E9 fingers (raise and lower) from him, mounted on a new axle, as soon as I can free up the money. C6 will have to wait.

Thanks for your input.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2019 9:46 am     price?

wiz, if you don,t mind, how much are they? you can send a pm if you rather....thanks jack

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2019 6:08 pm     Emmons changer fingers

Wiz, I can second Bill Terry’s recommendation of Chance’s changers. Tommy Cass used a pair, E9 and C6, when he rebuilt my ‘74 Emmons D-10 two years ago and they have worked perfectly with fairly constant use since - works of art as far as I’m concerned!
Peter
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Stan Knowles NC

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 12:23 pm     Fingers for Emmons push-pull....

Check with Billy Knowles...at Steel Guitar East!
If Billy doesn't HAVE them...he probably knows where
you can get some!

Billy Knowles...is DR. EMMONS!

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 1:18 pm    

A BIG plus one for Dean Chance. I put new fingers and new axles in both necks of my old 71 push pull and the guitar never played or sounded better. I had Tommy Cass do the work. Having talked with Tommy and Billy Knowles about the Dean Chance fingers before I bought them, both of them spoke VERY highly of them. Tommy said they were of higher quality than the original Emmons fingers. Worth every penny.