The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  size of thread on ZB legs
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 10:22 pm    

Can anyone tell me the size of thread on the legs of my ZB ? and has anyone repaired these using a thread repair system like Helicoil ? the threads on my guitar are so worn they really need some work , just wondering the best way to tackle this .

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 1:40 am    

3/4 UNC (that's 3/4 diameter x 10 TPI)

I've just looked at my ZB, there isn't much meat on the casting for a helicoil, it might do it, it might not.

Then I noticed that the threads in the endplates are much deeper than the leg threads.

There's a possibility that you could replace the existing leg inserts with inserts with longer thread length (an easy job for any machine shop).

If you could ascertain how much thread depth that you actually have in the endplates (get a 3/4 unc length of allthread and screw it all the way in, then take a measurement) you would then have the optimum thread length for the new leg inserts.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 4:53 pm     ZB legs

Brendan,
Look closely at where the leg tube seats against the casting. I had a couple ZB legs recently that were not seating, even though they were screwed in all the way. Apparently the threaded plug had worked it's way out (???) a slight bit. Even though they were screwed in all the way they did not fully seat & could wiggle.

The fix was to take the leg apart & tap the plug back in a tiny bit. I used a block of wood on the other end, to keep from damaging it.
Hope that helps.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 6:36 pm    

Thanks Richard and Eric ,I will look at those when I get home

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 12:24 pm     leg ends

Here's a picture showing the difference. The one on the right has a gap between the threads and the tube. So it wouldn't seat in the hole. All I had to do was tap it in a bit and that fixed it. (you have to take the leg apart to do that)

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 4:53 pm    

Problem solved ! I am such a klutz , I did not have the legs screwed down tight enough . This guitar just sits in my music room and over time the legs have loosened a bit which I just took for wearing out , a pessimistic view for sure . Added to the fact that when I put the pedal rack on I just lined up the holes in the legs for the screw to go through the pedal board . What I should have done was to screw the leg in tight and then release the leg clutch to align the holes . Hope this makes sense and thank you all for your help which inspired me to actually LOOK at the problem .