The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One Dead Note ?
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 7:48 am    

Something very weird happened at the gig last night. I had one note that sounded like it was muted every time I played that lead note.

It sounded like there was something under the string at the changer or head but it appeared to be free of obstructions. the muted note was only in one position at the 8th fret.

Inspecting the steel today I could find nothing and the note sounded normal today. Could this be an intermittent amp problem with my NV112 or just a string problem?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 11:32 am    

Since the problem was only at one fret, you can rule out the amp. (If it were an amp or speaker problem, the issue would be evident with the same note or chord, regardless of where it was played.)

You probably just had a bit of lint or dirt under the string at the changer. Should the problem reoccur, just slack off the offending string(s), then move the string to the side and wipe off the top of the finger. Then, reposition and retune the string, and the problem should be gone.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 2:51 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Since the problem was only at one fret, you can rule out the amp. (If it were an amp or speaker problem, the issue would be evident with the same note or chord, regardless of where it was played.)

You probably just had a bit of lint or dirt under the string at the changer. Should the problem reoccur, just slack off the offending string(s), then move the string to the side and wipe off the top of the finger. Then, reposition and retune the string, and the problem should be gone.

Makes sense Donnie. When I inspected the string I couldnt find anything so I thought it might have something to do with a specific frequency getting garbled by the shift circuitry of the amp.