The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deluxe Rverb: Now I get it.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 8:54 am    

I had a recording session Monday and felt like using an older amp. Too old and lazy to haul my twin out, and my LTD 400 is parked at the theater where I'm in the last week of Always, Patsy Cline. I asked the engineer whether he had a Fender tube amp at the studio, and he said, "Yes: a '71 Deluxe Reverb.

Wow!! I plugged it and there was "the" tone. Like my Twin without rattling the windows. Who needs a stinkin' mid control anyway? I've always been skeptical of reports on these being good steel amps, what with 22 watts and all. WRONG! Gotta start saving my pennies.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:05 am    

For studio work, yeah, for live, YMMV.

Depends on what your situation is getting those 22 watts to work in a louder venue.

That would apply whether playing guitar or steel.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:17 am    

I use two '65 Deluxe Reverb reissues now for backlined gigs. Sounds about as good as anything I've plugged into.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:21 am    

We did a Mraz concert before he went world music, and the Deluxe was on the rider but we could not supply it.

It is a great amp, indeed.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:32 am    

Yeah, I'm thinking of it in acoustic situations or in a situation where a everything is miked by a pro who knows what they're doing and the other players know how to keep stage volume down.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:47 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinking of it in acoustic situations or in a situation where a everything is miked by a pro who knows what they're doing and the other players know how to keep stage volume down.

Yeah it would work with a pro situation.

For the Mraz concert they mic'd their amps off stage (as many do actually) so you know it was done in such a way that it could be heard above the din.

And pro players know how to balance volumes in a live setting.

That and they're mostly listening to custom sub-mixes in IEM's.

So live becomes a "studio" setting to where you can get away with smaller amps and just go for the tone.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 9:51 am    

90% of my live gigs and sessions are done with a '70's modded Deluxe Reverb and a JBL....even some loud outdoor stuff. With good sound reinforcement it's not a problem. I get compliments from other players on my tone....and a few have even tried to copy it! Smile

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 10:39 am    

Actually, Dave, the recording was with Dean Harlem. You recorded a song with him years ago. SO I guess I'm one of the imitators! Very Happy

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 10:48 am    

Laughing Say Hi to Dean! Nice guy! BTW I could think of 100's of other players to imitate! You'd be better off! Smile

....but yes, the Deluxe Reverb is a wonderful amp. When I need more juice I have a Pro or a Webb....but that is hardly ever the case!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 12:53 pm    

I used a blackface Deluxe Reverb with coffee can EV SRO exclusively when I first started playing pedal steel. I loved the sound but at some point the band got loud enough that I was having to push it well past the sweet spot and I started using larger Fenders, Peaveys, or something else with lots of power.

But right now, my main amp is a '74 Deluxe Reverb with a JBL D120F. Proto-rockabilly/early-country with upright bass and a drummer, 2 guitar players (1 electric, 1 acoustic), an excellent singer, and me for the first time playing only steel guitar. We normally mic up the amps, but it's really only important when we're in a large room or outside. For a truly low-volume mostly-acoustic gig, I often use a SF Princeton Reverb.

For me, it is really important with Deluxes and Princetons to get all the possible headroom out of them - fresh power supply caps, good NOS tubes (I like the GE nude-base 6V6), and an efficient high-headroom speaker. The D120F is just phenomenal in this particular Deluxe. I'm having to remind people to not get too loud for fear of trying to keep up with them and blowing the JBL - I have a couple of spares, but getting good ones is getting harder and harder.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 12:59 am    

back to the silly argument, again.

yes they are GREAT amps, to a point.

Great for who ? Certainly not everyone. If it was, then everyone would already own 1 or 2.

So we are back to the beginning again, not ALL players are the same, not all stages are the same, not all rooms are the same, not all bands are the same , all that stuff...

A DR is a tool that we can certainly use now and then for various scenarios, but to assume it can do it all, well, thats not a good assumption.

A 15 watt Blues Jr is also very user friendly in certain scenarios, literally 15 watts vs 22 watts is not any difference at all. Half the price ! Same headroom .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 2:11 am    

I didn't really notice anyone having an argument, Tony. Of course the DR can't be one's only amp if one plays out. Frankly, I am thinking I'd like one for playing at home more than anything else. I have plenty of beefier (and smaller) amps for given situations. (Actually, with seven amps already, I pretty certainly need to dump one or two). I just loved the sound I got and want to be able to hear it whenever I want.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 11:50 am    

wrong choice of words, I apologize, should be just "discussion". Lots of discussions on many forums with regard to DR's. I happen to think they are fine amps, I've owned them and used them. For me they are just not a match.

Crazy as it sounds, I'm considering getting another ! Smile I have a bi- monthly gig where it may just be the perfect amp for double duty,

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 3:33 am    

Deluxe Reverb is a wonderful pedal steel amp, as is just about any of the BF or SF Fender amps really.. Not a stinker in the bunch if they are set up right.
With a DR, you just don't have the big headroom as we all know, so simply use it for the right gig situations, and home and band practice.
If you try and keep up with a LOUD band, you will push it past where it wants to be, the "sweet spot" as Dave called it, and they WILL get quite gritty.

As far as sweet tone in any Fender tube amp, over many decades I have found that although they are ALL good, the models with tube rectifiers simply sound better to my ears, all else being equal.
Tremolux/Deluxe/Pro/Princeton/Super amps all have a tone and natural compression that simply sound better than their SS rectified counterparts, such as Bandmaster/Bassman/Showman/Twin.. Bandmaster Reverb was also tube rectified, but mine was the WORST Fender pedal steel amp I ever heard in my life ..

The 6V6 power with the tube rectifier in the Deluxe is a special sound for pedal steel, but runs out of room quick if you push it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 11:35 pm    

Hmmmm. Yummyyy. Yup. If u have the right speaker my goodness’s why would u need more headroom??

Your band is WAY TOO LOUD. 😬😝😜