The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup doesn't fit..barely.
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 11:03 am    

I recently ordered a BL-712 (narrow) for my Mullen RP. Unfortunately, it seems that the pickup cavity is slightly too narrow for the base plate of the pickup, however if I flip it upside down, the top of the pickup does fit in the cavity.

I contacted Becky Lawrence and she explained that this does happen from time to time and that I could use a knife or sandpaper to make the base of the pickup narrower.

I have no doubt the pickups are produced to spec, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if they've remedied it in the same manner before I start messing with the pickup.

Thanks in advance!

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 11:41 am    

Ian, I put 705's in every one of my steels. I've always had to shave it down a bit to make it fit.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 1:05 pm     Re: Pickup doesn't fit..barely.

Ian Sutton wrote:
I recently ordered a BL-712 (narrow) for my Mullen RP. Unfortunately, it seems that the pickup cavity is slightly too narrow for the base plate of the pickup, however if I flip it upside down, the top of the pickup does fit in the cavity.

I contacted Becky Lawrence and she explained that this does happen from time to time and that I could use a knife or sandpaper to make the base of the pickup narrower.

I have no doubt the pickups are produced to spec, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if they've remedied it in the same manner before I start messing with the pickup.

Thanks in advance!

I had that same issue when putting an XR16 in the Mullen Sd12 RP I had. I had to do MAJOR trimming all around the pickup with a Dremel to get it to fit. The 710's I have in my Carter were too long and had to be dremeled down, and the holes in the side tabs didn't line up with the mounting holes in the guitar, and had to be modified.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 2:39 pm    

I had the same issue with my pre-RP Mullen U-12.

I removed the neck and my neighbor took it to his machine shop and enlarged the opening.

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 12:54 pm    

Thanks all for the tips and advice. A little bit of sanding around the baseplate got the job done, while a spare toggle switch I had in a parts bin worked a treat to wire up the coil split.

Cheers,

Ian