The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grandpas steel! Pre 1966 Emmons Push Pull Collar Springs???
Justin Mull

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 8:52 pm    

Picked this beauty up the other day, it’s a pre 1966 Emmons from what I can tell by the numbers, my grandpa sold this steel to someone about 30 years ago and now I’ve purchased it for it for 1,000 I think I did ok, came with Seat and very old show-bud pedal that I’ll be selling in the future(seat and pedal), been setting it up and that has been a real blast I’m finally starting to understand exactly how to set it up, during my adventure I’ve noticed a few springs worn out does anyone know where I can get collar springs? The spring between the bell crank and collar. Thanks!

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 11:12 pm    

What a score! Bolt on S10 for under 1k! Awesome guitar! You can order those springs from McMaster Carr- I’m not home so can’t look up the size, but I’m sure someone here can tell you. You just cut them to fit with snips. Congrats on a sweet guitar!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 6:32 am    

Just my $0.02 worth.............

I don't know about the seat, but I'd think twice about selling the Sho-Bud volume pedal.
It's probably from the same time frame as the guitar, and as such they are sort of a "set", for lack of a better term.

You sound like a fairly mechanically savvy guy if you're setting up and adjusting a PP.
But when you're done, you may want to take it to a professional and have them give it a once over.
Not only might they fine tweak something that you missed, but it will also add to your education in the process.

Being in Virginia, there's probably a pro or two within easy driving distance.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 6:51 am    

I'd trade the Sho~Bud pedal for an Emmons pedal of the same vintage as the guitar. Very Happy
Erv

Tom Lulias

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 2:32 pm    

I get mine from ace hardware. Tom

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 2:42 pm    

Congrats, Justin! Great addition to the young steel guitar herd in your pen!! Very Happy

Justin Mull

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 4:23 pm    

Thanks everyone! I’ll take a look at ace and the other suggested site. ajm thanks for your input I’m a master ase certified mechanic so I have a little bit of mechanical knowledge, I will be bringing it to a professional for a once over as suggested once I get it set up, thanks for the suggestion learning is a powerful tool, just want to drop in if anyone is looking for lesson John Mcclung who posted here on the thread is amazing and I highly recommend him!!. As far as the pedal goes ERV, I have an era correct pedal for the steel I believe it’s in the picture still has the original pot and works fantastic. I’m going to once over the showbud volume pedal and I will think about selling it guess your right it probably has some history.

I would like to know what the springs on the set screws for the floor pedal travel do, I assume they help keep the screw from backing out? Any thoughts?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 10:37 pm     Grandpa's Steel pre 1964 Emmons push-pull

The steels of that era used springs, On bolts used as adjustments, to keep bolts from moving. Did not work all the time, Sad to say, Sometimes vibration will still win.
Glad you got to return a piece of history to your family, Getting your grand pa's steel back.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 5:47 am    

Wow congratulations that’s a good news story!!

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 5:54 pm     Billy Cooper's steel guitar shop

Justin: I'd recommend you take it to Billy Cooper in Orange, Va. When it comes to all the adjustments, if it's not set up by a pro, it can self destruct. The stops are all important. When you're ready to sell it, contact me first. Thanks, Tommy......