The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sweetwater Gear Fest Visit
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 4:58 pm    

I spent a day last Friday at Sweetwater's Gearfest in Indiana. Lot's to see including the full line of Fender guitars, Gibson guitars, Peterson tuners, Dr Z amps. Something like 24 tents full of gear and factory reps. Admission is free. Got to look at the new Peterson HD floor tuner and preorder one for $20 off. Shure had SM-57's and SM-58's for $57 each. Open box specials and used gear tent had lots of nice guitars. Dr. Z had a lot of amps there and although not in ideal conditions, you could try one out.

Gearfest details

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 7:27 pm    

I would have loved to stroll around there Greg. I'm sure I would have ended up with something.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 4:04 am    

Dangerous to walk in there with your wallet in hand.

They had one huge tent of just DAW related gear and rack setups. I did buy the Peterson cable to enable use of my iPhone for a tuner. The app ($10 cable, $10 app) works nice with my guitars and they do have a sweetener package add-on ($14.95, $10 at GearFest) for the phone app that covers all the steel guitar tunings. I came dangerously close to getting the Dr Z Maz 18 on sale for a few hundred off. Most of my gear comes from Reverb and ebay and the rare open box specials at Sweetwater or Musician's Friend and of course Amazon. They did have a few lap steels there and an average for 40 people waiting at the merchandise pickup tent all the time. Lot's of young kids were getting their first guitars.

At the Fender and Gibson tents you could pick up and play any guitar. Deals were not great but if was fun to touch and feel the high end Gibson models!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 6:33 am    

Greg does the Peterson cable require an additional adaptor? I would love to use my iphone to tune instead of my Strobe Tuner. Thanks!

-Nick

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 6:41 am    

I have the iPhone 10 so I needed two cables, one from Peterson and one from elsewhere:

Peterson cable:

https://www.petersontuners.com/shop/item/Adaptor-Cable-for-Mobile-Devices
Adaptor Cable for Mobile Devices
Item #: 403871
$13.99

lightning-to-audio adaptor cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK5F2QT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your iPhone has a headphone jack you won't need the second cable. Of course no cable is needed to use the Peterson app with the phone's built in mic.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 26 Jun 2019 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 5:24 am    

Thanks Greg!

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 8:04 am    

Greg, check for tone-suck if you run the phone off a passive pedal tap... I had to get an iRig buffered interface, that unbuffered Petersen adapter wasn’t enough... the iPhone has a very low input impedance.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 9:08 am    

Stephen, I never plug in or run my tuners while playing. It's a shame though that the input impedance is so low. May be a question to address to Peterson and maybe they will see this post!