The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss RV-6 Reverb Recorded In Stereo
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 5:07 am    

Just a quick experiment with my Boss RV-6, two amps and two SM-57 pics.

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

Click here for more details!

At the end of Sample two is a section of Together Again with a bar slant on strings 5 and 8 using the E to F knee lever as well. There is a really cool variation of the slant that also uses E9th pedal 1 with the E to F knee lever. You can see it played by Tommy White with the Time Jumpers at 1:08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvouSDHJlqE

with the variation at 1:24.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 7:00 am    

Cool reverbs there Greg. I looked wt your amp review and noticed GT preamp tubes. Based on the tone you got a good set. Have you done any tube swapping?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 7:37 am    

Larry, I've never swapped tubes in any amp unless they failed. I have played around a bit with the bias settings and to my ears they all sound good and "tubey" rich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 9:32 am    

I dont know how your could get a better reverb sound. To me that sounds as good if not better than the lexicon reverb.

BTW , thanks for all the info you put on your site. It has really been helpful...

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 10:35 am    

Greg, some day I'd like to try a Wet Reverb and all the stereo effects on the new Peavey Session 115 with its extension speaker.

The simple setup I used above sounds as good as the Walker Stereo Steel in person. I have found that reverb gets eaten up when mixed in a track with other instruments so it's always better to add most of the reverb in the DAW at mastering time. The DAW reverb apps like Ambience in Reaper take a simple mono track and space it out into a stereo track with a super lush sound and as much texture to the sound as you want in a hurry. Listen to the Yellow Rose Records recording to see how fat a steel can sound in the studio.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 12:08 pm    

Greg, I like how you think. I'm not a tube swapper but I do know some tubes are more musical than others. Thanks for the information and for a great web page.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 2:06 pm    

I wonder why they didn't put a Pre-Deley knob on the RV6?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:15 pm    

Pete, or at least a switch giving you two choices as that seems to work good on the Hall of Fame.

The elephant in the room is why don't they just put 8 knobs on the dang thing and have a full fledged reverb and delay box and charge a bit more for it. Of course now there are tons of muilti-effect boxes that do that and everyone wants to choose their own delay and reverb units.

It does seem that the reverb stomp boxes have surpassed the multi-purpose rack effect units. Most any reverb box to my ears sounds light years ahead of any amp reverb I've ever used including the best Fender tube units.

Lately I've been really torn between the Kemper route versus the dedicated steel amp route. I like to experiment a lot and since Kemper recently upped its staffing I gotta believe they have a new version in the works. Of course they HAVE to vehemently deny that. I did see their new 2019 editor and speaker cabinets. Either way my next setup will have either a Leslie G37 or a Neo Ventilator 2 in it running stereo!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:46 pm    

Lately I have been using just Reverb and no delay. I have the Catalinbread Talisman plate Reverb modeled after an old studio plate Reverb. Lots of great Reverb pedals to choose these days.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 4:51 pm    

Len, I occasionally like a touch of delay with my reverb on really slow songs. On recordings I can add delay later or even copy a track and offset it slightly. Many of the reverb units have the same chip set but offer different controls and buffering circuits. The manufacturer can supply suggested wiring configurations. Despite all that, there's a big difference in the smoothness and options of reverbs from different manufacturers. I'm gonna add a TonePrint to my Hall of Fame to give me a reverb and delay together with a fixed reverb setting and all the adjusting knobs dedicated to the delay. Never heard of the Catalinbread Talisman plate Reverb but I'll check it out.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 4:53 pm    

Found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6qmuH1oOAI

and this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Talisman--catalinbread-talisman-plate-reverb-pedal

Wow, nice sound!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 3:40 pm    

A few more reverb types from the RV-6 added to what I posted above:

Plate Reverb

Modulate Reverb

Spring Reverb

+Delay Reverb

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:10 pm    

If I play out with a band I will use a bit of delay in slower songs as you mentioned. When I am playing by myself I just use the Talisman Reverb. It’s a one trick pony and only produces a lush plate Reverb. However, it’s a heck of a trick.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 1:11 am    

Always liked Greg's playing and tone.

Is the RV-6 true stereo meaning both sides are wet coming out?

True stereo reverb/delay et al is basically two reverbs (one on each side) at the same time and to where one can hear the position of the instrument in the stereo image, ergo in a reverberant room, you would be able to pick out where the guitar is in the L-C-R field.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 4:29 pm    

I was wondering if I wanted an RV-6 to simplify my reverb with my Stereo Steel (currently using a Zoom MS-50 - sounds fine to me, but complicated to adjust on the fly). The new Delay setting on the RV-6 caught my interest - I don't run delay generally, but sometimes add it back in just a touch to prolong the attack. So I began searching for what sort of control you have over the delay. Of course, the first place to search after the BOSS website is here on the forum - lo! Greg has a sample up, and based on the comments, there just ain't much control over it - and it is not at all what i am looking for. So, I just saved $150! As always, the forum is a great place to gather info. Thanks for contributing, Greg!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 5:42 pm    

Godfrey, you can hear the dry and wet signals in both the left and right channels. Looking at the .wav waveforms as displayed in Reaper they look almost identical but you can see definite differences in them. I did pan one amp totally left and the other amp totally right in the mix. The stereo mode does produce a fatter sound.

Douglas, you are right, the Boss RV-6 does not provide much control over the delay parameters. The TC Hall Of Fame could be configured to provide a lot of delay parameter control as a user preset.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 5:45 pm    

This song uses only the RV-6 reverb in stereo on the steel parts:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/How%20Long%20Has%20It%20Been.mp3